What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,

4.8 for today.

@notepadplusplus -- Good luck on your c-peptide test. Hope it helps them determine what kind of diabetic you are.
@Flora123 -- (sorry for the late reply, forgot to respond yesterday). To me, it doesn't make sense that your DN wants a fasting level between 4.0 and 5.0. This sounds about what you would expect for a healthy 20-year-old. There also seems some evidence that for us low carbers fasting tends to be a bit higher anyway due to adaptive glucose sparing.
@PenguinMum -- Keeping my fingers crossed that your blood sugars will soon be trending downwards after getting over Covid19.

Last edited:

B1GSTU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit puzzled this morning, had my evening meal and tested two hours later was 7.8 Took a cup of tea to bed last night tested this morning 9.6, surely the tea didn't do that overnight?

Reactions: DJC3

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bit puzzled this morning, had my evening meal and tested two hours later was 7.8 Took a cup of tea to bed last night tested this morning 9.6, surely the tea didn't do that overnight?
Hello and welcome @B1GSTU .
Lots of reasons why your fasting was 9.6. Could be whatever was in the tea, sugar, What sort of milk, etc. Could be the timing of your fasting test. Very often the first test is the highest, as the liver prepares your body for a surge of energy to get you moving after sleep. Known as Dawn Phenomenom, or liver dump.

Reactions: DJC3 and SaskiaKC

B1GSTU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Pipp, that reassures me a bit. No sugar in the tea bit of skimmed milk that's it. Only just started monitoring again recently and started LCHF lifestyle due to HbA1c reading of 66. I play a lot of sport normally but since lock down have done not a lot.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Pipp, that reassures me a bit. No sugar in the tea bit of skimmed milk that's it. Only just started monitoring again recently and started LCHF lifestyle due to HbA1c reading of 66. I play a lot of sport normally but since lock down have done not a lot.
Forgot to post link earlier.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Eating the low carb way should help reduce your HbA1c, and although sport and exercise are important, they cannot cancel out bad diet choices.
Hope you will engage with the wider community forum, to gain the benefit of other members’ experiences. Lots of useful info out there onnwhat to eat, and managing exercise. I know it is tough, missing gym and swim myself, but walking more and following a home exercise programme. I don’t play competetive sports, and imagine the social aspectbis what you must be missing? Hopefully it won’t be for much longer, and if you can reduce that HbA1c you will feel the benefit when you can return to sports.

Reactions: DJC3