LADA basal insulin bg testing?

Cal M

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on basal insulin only. The only recognised diabetes bg testing seems to be 7point. However this assumes a surge of insulin with eating, either naturally or injected. With basal the insulin just sits at is low level chugging away at the bg. Any suggestions of useful testing times?
I am just doing pre meal as a control indicator. Post meal is mostly ridiculously high.
Thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are a LADA that means T1 and that means Basal/Bolus insulin regime in most cases. See your GP and ask for a Bolus insulin to be added and also ask for guidance on carb counting when you use it for meals.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... Post meal is mostly ridiculously high. ...
Wouldn't it make more sense to replace basal with mealtime boluses? That way you supply insulin when it is needed the most (after eating). Blood glucose spikes kill beta cells. You may be able to get away with no basal for a while, as long as blood glucose doesn't rise between meals.

Last edited:

Mustaffa

I test before and after (90 mins to hour) after eating and before and after sleep.
With LADA the eyelet cells usually die off more slowly than early onset Type 1 so we are still producing some insulin. I am on basal long acting Lantus 36 units at night and controlling the carbs to around 30g to 40g per meal and avoid all white carbs. I’m sure as my condition progresses this basal dose will increase and eventually have to be supplemented with bolus doses of fast acting before meals or even a pump.
I use a ContourNextOne glucose meter which links by Bluetooth to my iPhone.

Cal M

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all these comments and advice. I am due my annual review in the new year so will take my 7 point bg tests along to discuss.