So upset with myself - HB1ac of 87

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Folk react differently ..when my HbA1c came in at 108 mmol/mol ..I regarded it as a twist and turn of ✻crafty✻ diabetes ..101 days later with a 'flozin' added into the mix ..I've moved from the Red Zone to the relative safety of the Yellow Zone with an HbA1c of 78 mmol/mol ..I'm not saddened by a bad number, but am gladdened by a good 'un.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Folk react differently ..when my HbA1c came in at 108 mmol/mol ..I regarded it as a twist and turn of ✻crafty✻ diabetes ..101 days later with a 'flozin' added into the mix ..I've moved from the Red Zone to the relative safety of the Yellow Zone with an HbA1c of 78 mmol/mol ..I'm not saddened by a bad number, but am gladdened by a good 'un.
A positive attitude is important as is the improvement in your hb1ac. Not so sure I’d class 78 as a ”good’ un” though.

As well as revisiting medication needs have you done the same with food intake? It can make a huge difference, even more than medication for many of us. Take a look at the nutritional thingy in my signature below if you aren’t familiar with how carbs can shoot levels upwards (all of them - including wholemeal, brown things and oats).

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
..my HbA1c was flatlining in the Green Zone for years ..until I became the victim of a crime earlier this year ..the stress from that has had a knock-on effect on my diabetes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A positive attitude is important as is the improvement in your hb1ac. Not so sure I’d class 78 as a ”good’ un” though.

As well as revisiting medication needs have you done the same with food intake? It can make a huge difference, even more than medication for many of us. Take a look at the nutritional thingy in my signature below if you aren’t familiar with how carbs can shoot levels upwards (all of them - including wholemeal, brown things and oats).

Hi HSSS -MY interpretation of what @Ajax was saying was he tries to focus on the positives, rather then be too impacted by negatives, rather than any judgement on "today's" score.

I'd call going from 101 to anywhere safer a win.

Of course, I might be very wrong in my interpretation, but i's funny how several people can read the same text and have different take away messages. I love the written word,............. mainly!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
..my HbA1c was flatlining in the Green Zone for years ..until I became the victim of a crime earlier this year ..the stress from that has had a knock-on effect on my diabetes.
Sounds like you may be suffering from an uptick in adrenaline (Epinephrine) due to stress. This will counteract the effect of any insulin you produce and effectively make you insulin resistant.

You may find benefit in finding ways to reduce the adrenaline to allow you to return to those green pastures you mention. Chemically this can be done using sedatives, tranquilizers, and alcohol, but maybe consider the more esoteric routes via mindfulness, yoga classes, or even PTSD counseling. Exercise can help but must be gentle. Intensive exercise and workouts will increase adrenaline. (also not helpful if you are agoraphobic)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi HSSS -MY interpretation of what @Ajax was saying was he tries to focus on the positives, rather then be too impacted by negatives, rather than any judgement on "today's" score.

I'd call going from 101 to anywhere safer a win.

Of course, I might be very wrong in my interpretation, but i's funny how several people can read the same text and have different take away messages. I love the written word,............. mainly!
Pretty sure that’s what my first sentence said too.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty sure that’s what my first sentence said too.

It was the second that confused me. I didn't read @Ajax as making any judgement on his A1c.

But, no more from me on this one. It's not fair to bicker and deflect.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Puffler, welcome to the forum!

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter with cheap strips, the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively (these are printed on a business card supplied with the meter).

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Disclaimer, I haven’t used any of the discount codes I have quoted so I don’t know if they are still current.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)
I've gone through this list a few times, with a view to replacing my GlucoRx-Q. I come out of it confused every time.

Things I'm looking for: (in descending order of priority)
1) Accuracy (The Rx-Q is GOD technology. I believe this is somewhat outdated, and others are more accurate.)
2) Cheaper strips. Currently working out at £11 for 50 on the Rx-Q. So it's already one of the cheaper meters for consumables.
3) PC download capability, preferably with decent software (the Rx-Q application is very clunky and dated looking.) Ideally using a standard cable (USB mini/micro B or C) rather than some expensive custom one that I'll only lose.

On that basis, which of the above should I go for?

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've gone through this list a few times, with a view to replacing my GlucoRx-Q. I come out of it confused every time.

Things I'm looking for:
1) Accuracy (The Rx-Q is GOD technology. I believe this is somewhat outdated, and others are more accurate.)
2) Cheaper strips. Currently working out at £11 for 50 on the Rx-Q. So it's already one of the cheaper meters for consumables.
3) PC download capability, preferably with decent software (the Rx-Q application is very clunky and dated looking.) Ideally using a standard cable (USB mini/micro B or C) rather than some expensive custom one that I'll only lose.

On that basis, which of the above should I go for?

Hi @Nicole T , I’ll send a PM so as not to derail this thread.

Reactions: Antje77

Perminder1

I feel so upset with myself and not really sure where to start and what to do next.

I had gestational diabetes 8 years ago and after I gave birth I was still diabetic, type 2. At the time of falling pregnant my BMI was 28 so overweight but not obese. For a long time I was insulin controlled as wanted (and had) another child. However my weight was slowly increasing. My HB1ac was always good, anything from 33 (my best) to 40 (my worst). I came off insulin after my second child and went onto Metformin (4 tablets a day). I was pretty fit and active doing a lot of running (marathons). My weight did steadily increase.

At the start of the year I hurt my knee and stopped running, although still swim three times a week and walk 8-10k steps most days. With lockdown I was very stressed with work and was binge eating on stuff I never normally ate including cake, white sliced bread as toast, pasta most meals, more cake, biscuits with ever cup of coffee...

I avoided my last two diabetic reviews and stuck my head into the sand. Then last week I had a blood test with an HB1ac and it was 87. I’m shocked.

Since then I’ve come off carbs and started testing. I have another HB1ac in 6 weeks time. My blood sugars aren’t coming down though. When I woke up it was 13.7 so I skipped breakfast and went swimming. We had a Sunday roast at lunchtime and I had pork, cabbage, broccoli and carrot. We then went for an hours walk and two hours after eating I tested and it was 14.1.

I just don’t know how I’m going to get it down.

I now need to lose 4 stone to get to a BMI of 25 so I’m very overweight at the biggest I’ve ever been. I just feel I’m facing a mountain.

I’m just not sure why my blood sugar readings are not showing any sign of shifting.
You can do it low carb diet and exercise moderate regular walking have occasional treat don't punish yourself I was 96 hbac1 and 17.5 stone 3 metofirmin was in shock depressed what I did to myself in March 20 then decided get myself sorted want to be at my 10 yr old daughter wedding and university graduation ...blood test july 20 and Nov 20 35 hbac1 now 13 stone so last 4 stone
..just spoke to GP he said to stop metofirmin completely I was taking one in.morning since July 20 now only on diet and exercise in remission you can do it...next blood test Feb 21 fingers crossed I can maintain this

Reactions: ReversingT2