decided on pumping, but!

leggott

Here are a few web sites that will give you info about pumps although they are not specifically designed for children :

http://www.input.me.uk

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevention/pumps.html

My daughter has the Omnipod pump and we don't find this too obtrusive on her and she is of slight build.

We had to fight hard to get our kids pumps and they would always gives excuses as to why a pump would not be beneficial to us one of which was the honeymoon period! We've been told that our kids are probably likely to still be honeymooning as they still require very little insulin and for us pumping has made life so much easier and I would not go back to MDI.

Do your research, trial a few and don't give up. We constantly pestered (for want of a better word) our DSN although at times we bordered on 'harassing' Her! But, in the end it paid off!

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi
we have found a lovely lady that makes pump belts and does some lovely child friendly designs which dylan loves looking through and picking the design himself, search funky pumpers in google and u will soon find it. we obviously dont have the problem with dresses but dylan is very slim and i dont notice these cases with his football kits etc

im sure there will be something out there to suit her :D

anna marie

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
With dresses it isn't just putting the pump somewhere. You also have to think about getting to the pump to use it. I've met people that have either put false pockets in dresses or cut a slit that does up with velcro or a zip so you can get access to the pump. You don't want to have to lift up the dress in public. The alternative is the Accu-chek combo that you use a remote control.

marynf

Sarah is 6 and has the accu chek. She wears her pump in a spibelt and if the dress is loose you cannot see it. She also has a spandex belt from Australia, for tighter dresses, but the pump isn't as secure in it we find. The best one is the spandex 'thigh thing' - supposed to be a garter for adults but it goes round her waist - as the pump goes in a peppered pocket and the whole thing is very snug to the midriff.

The accu chek is fab because you don't need to get at the pump to use it, as Jen pointed out. Having to hoik out tubing and a pump every time you want to eat at a party would really make Sarah feel uncomfortable. As it is I zap her from a distance at party tea and she is no different from anyone else. She can concentrate on begin a little girl in a pretty dress.

Mary

serankine

Sorry only just read this post so hope its not late!
My daughter is also on the accu chek she is 5 years old and been on the pump for about 6 months. She loves it. Has made such a difference had the hospital today her Hba id 7.1
Leah had tummitoe belts they sre from america we have 6 of them one is like a bum belt and the other a thick strip of lycra which has 3 small pouchs 1 holds the pump the other we put emegancy details in we do put gluco tabs in the other if we go out for a walk but not often.

The belts are great as is the pump. Hope this helps.
Sarah

Elli_555

Hey there :p I'm Elli, I'm 16 and I've just finished my first year on the pump (Accu-chek combo). The first thing you should know is that the pump isn't for everybody, it depends on how you live your life. But it has improved my BM so much!! It's also really good if youra sporty person because you can wear it for all non-contact sport :3 There is so much I can say about it but I shall leave you with my favourite part....I used to have to inject at least 5 times a day, but now I only need to change the needle once every 2 days!!!

I hope thishas helped towards your decision,
Elli :D

Susie-Q

Hi, I've already posted on the Insulin Pump section of the forum about this so apologies for repetition but I've just seen this thread and noticed a quite few of you are parents with children on pumps. I wondered if any of you have pre-schoolers/toddlers using the Veo pump and what you think of it? We are trying to decide between that and the Accu-chek Combo for our son. I think we are leaning towards the Combo because the remote control is more comprehensive than the one that comes with the Veo but just interested to get anyone's views on either pump. Thanks
Susie

Reactions: 2 people

Antnliv

Hi
our daughter has been on the combo since she was 18months old and that was a year ago and it works great for us. As much as it was hard work at the beginning, I trust it 98% of the time. Natalia is able to wear it around her waist and she doesn't even notice it now and I can control is by its remote control which is great for times when you want to be more discrete. I can't comment on the other pump but the combo gets ten out of ten from us. hope that helps.
Livi

Susie-Q

Thanks Livi, that's really helpful. It's also great to hear from someone with a child of a similar age who is finding that a pump really works for them. It's the remote control which I like the sound of with the Combo, I think Daniel will love being left alone more when we're at parties etc, rather than having to have injections. I think he'd get fed up with me constantly fiddling with a pump while it's attached to him, even though he's only three he's starting to get more conscious about that kind of thing. How does your daughter wear it round her waist, does she have a belt to keep it in?
Susie

Antnliv

Hi Susie
Natalia has a material velcro belt, with the pump in a material pouch. It doesn't irritate at all and she hasn't ever tried to take it off, so it must be reasonably comforty. At night, the pump goes in her pump buddy which is a soft teddy (pump shaped) which goes up her top and lies on her chest/tummy while she sleep, this came with the pump and again it doesn't bother her.
The remote is so good in the way that she can be eating and having insulin at the same time. The only time she has an injection is every two days when we change her canula.
Hope this helps.
If you need any more info please don't hesitate to ask.
Livi