Breakfast cereals

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are the best breakfast cereals with the lowest glycemic load please? New type two diabetic here
Honestly? None. Cereal contain grain, corn or rice, and those are all high in carbs. You're better off with bacon and eggs, a cheesy or salmon omelette, or full fat greek yoghurt with some berries or nuts.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Honestly? None.
Yup. I really miss my Porridge or Museli or Cornflakes. I’ve had to recalibrate my expectations for brekkie. I now decide between Savoury or Sweet - that’s no sugar sweet!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lenno1978 ,

Welcome to the forum.
Putting aside the BG effects of cereal.
The lactose in the milk may not do favours either.

Are you prescribed any medication for your diabetes?

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed I looked for the highest carb food I could find to test myself against my meter.
I found that most popular cerals are 75-80% pure carb.
My father was right, you'd be better off eating the box.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast but for lunch / brunch I have a selection of bacon, eggs (fried, poached, boiled, scrambled), fish, cheese, sausage and NOW 1g carb /slice toast!
Then a nap.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To answer the question, the more hole grain it is the better.

So thinks like Shredded wheat are not too bad, rough porridge.

Best to eat and test to see how it affects you, when i first started Shredded wheat didn't give me a glucose rise but Porridge did for example

Reactions: Ayerp

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m on metaformin 500mg x4 daily

I do t use milk I use almond milk
Almond milk contains some carbs too, and some have added sugar, so it does serve a purpose to check the nutritional information. Check total carbs, not just "of which sugars".

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To answer the question, the more hole grain it is the better.

So thinks like Shredded wheat are not too bad, rough porridge.

Best to eat and test to see how it affects you, when i first started Shredded wheat didn't give me a glucose rise but Porridge did for example
Shredded wheat is 67% carbohydrate. Not a great thing for any T2 to be eating.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on metaformin 500mg x4 daily

I do t use milk I use almond milk

OK. Diet wise, is your choice plant based?
I wouldn't wish the wrong choices for you thrown up on the topic..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are “porridge” alternatives and granolas based on nuts and seeds and coconut etc. Ditchthecarbs.com have some or a google search for porridge or granola along with the word keto will throw up options.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shredded wheat is 67% carbohydrate. Not a great thing for any T2 to be eating.
Granted but they are very light hence 2 biscuits are about 38g of carbs plus about 10g of carbs in milk.
I used to eat them every morning post diagnosis & they were always easy on the meter.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Granted but they are very light hence 2 biscuits are about 38g of carbs plus about 10g of carbs in milk.
I used to eat them every morning post diagnosis & they were always easy on the meter.
You have to test these things for yourself - I often don't eat 38gm of carbs in an entire day, as I am so sensitive to them.
Usually breakfast involves eggs often with cheese and maybe mushrooms or a tomato, and coffee with cream, then nothing more for the rest of the day. It works for me. I find it hard to envy those who can eat more carbs and choose breakfast cereals.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have to test these things for yourself - I often don't eat 38gm of carbs in an entire day, as I am so sensitive to them.

I've since decided to keep my carbs to 30g max for breakfast & lunch.
That's 2 slices of toast for breakfast & a sandwich for lunch.
Then I allow myself 100g for dinner because it allows me eat any common meal, I often do my evening walk after dinner so I'm back in the low 5's anyway at 2 hours no matter what I eat.
In the evening I often have cheese & wine or some nuts.

I was the classic fat T2 who lost 5st and has suddenly recovered control.
My biggest problem is my weight loss has plateaued yet I'm still obese, BMI 31 @ 14.5st.
I know how fortunate I am & I try to post a bit more lately encouraging others, especially newbies.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I disagree with some comments as they do not satisfy the 80/20 rule in my view, rather they are the 20 / 80 rule, which means most Type 2's cannot eat that way - high carb.

The friendliest breakfasts for a Type 2 are protein and fat based, such as bacon, eggs, sausages, kippers or left overs from the previous nights dinner; grain based cereals, cereal bars, toast and anything advertised on TV are good marketing exercises - most of these are at least 60 grams per 100 and the advertised portion sizes are not realistic (at least for me).

If you would like something really quick, similar to muesli and low carb, coconut flakes, berries, nuts, dark chocolate and non flavoured yogurt (you could replace with your almond milk), should tick the boxes for satiety and blood sugars. If I am doing 2 meals a day this is my first sometimes:

desert.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Way more than I'd want to have especially first thing in the morning plus they taste like cardboard.