Glucose after burger & chips!

Doireallyneedanams

Sorry but this is misleading nonsense..

Plenty of low carbers get pregnant and have "normal" babies .. in fact it seems there are many women who become pregnant after changing their diet to low carb when previously they couldn't.
perhaps, but I couldn’t have been further from low carb prior to my diagnosis and i eradicated them almost completely in the last few weeks. I can’t see why my baby suddenly dropped to the 10th centile from the 50th when there were no problems with my placenta or anything else in my pregnancy? if you start out low carb or on a certain diet presumably your baby will grow alongside that, but if you change it drastically (whichever wa) them it could absolutely have an effect on the baby.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi all.

I have a question for type 2 diabetics, preferably diet controlled, if I may!

If you were to eat the following, what glucose reading would you expect to see at the 1&!2 hour mark? Obviously I know you can’t give me an exact figure but a rough idea would be helpful.

120g carb in the form of:
- Full portion of sweet potato fries
- Battered chicken breast fillet burger in white sesame bun
- A couple deep fried mac & cheese fingers

I'll bid 16.

Any advance on 16?

Subject to further testing I might cope a little better without the bun, the mac, the batter.
Still trying to suss out sweet potato fries.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
perhaps, but I couldn’t have been further from low carb prior to my diagnosis and i eradicated them almost completely in the last few weeks. I can’t see why my baby suddenly dropped to the 10th centile from the 50th when there were no problems with my placenta or anything else in my pregnancy? if you start out low carb or on a certain diet presumably your baby will grow alongside that, but if you change it drastically (whichever wa) them it could absolutely have an effect on the baby.
If you were low carb and not low calorie you would have been getting much better nutrition than before.
Babies don't all grow at the same rate. At 30 weeks I was told my son would be huge! At 39 weeks 2 days he was an exactly average 7 pounds 11.75 ounces.

Doireallyneedanams

If you were low carb and not low calorie you would have been getting much better nutrition than before.
Babies don't all grow at the same rate. At 30 weeks I was told my son would be huge! At 39 weeks 2 days he was an exactly average 7 pounds 11.75 ounces.

It’s the loose skin that got me wondering. He was born 6lbs3 at full term. I mean he was basically skin and bones, it was really odd. The only thing it could have been was the drastic change in my diet because I did lose weight doing so from 38 ish weeks. These are just my feelings and suspicions though, not facts!

going low carb from my previous diet did put me in a calorie deficit. My diet through out pregnancy was really awful!

Lilylala

I know everyone will react different to eating the meal mentioned but On my own experience since I have stopped taking insulin and I am doing one meal a day eating basically what I want for that one meal which could be a takeaway , roast dinner no food is forbidden pre meal my blood glucose would be 4 - 5 mmol , 2 hrs after it would be 6 - 7 without medication and I have lost 3 stone .

Reactions: KK123

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.

If you were to eat the following, what glucose reading would you expect to see at the 1&!2 hour mark? Obviously I know you can’t give me an exact figure but a rough idea would be helpful.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Baby was born tiny with excess loose skin

What was the birth weight?
How do you define tiny?
Edit: just caught up with your latest post.

For comparison, our son was 7 lbs 9 oz at birth and was very wrinkled.
He had what I can best describe as "old man's legs".
Not plump but saggy and wrinkly in the thighs.
His feet were also bent over at the ankles because he was too long for the womb.

No issue with GD.

No low carbohydrate diet either, though.

We are pretty sure that he was under nourished in the womb because he didn't stop eating continuously for the first year.
By 5 months he was huge.

So I doubt that a low carbohydrate diet was responsible for a low birth rate or wrinkly skin.
These things happen.

notepadplusplus

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

I reckon just a few decimal points above 11 mmol/L at the 2-hour mark.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It’s the loose skin that got me wondering. He was born 6lbs3 at full term. I mean he was basically skin and bones, it was really odd. The only thing it could have been was the drastic change in my diet because I did lose weight doing so from 38 ish weeks. These are just my feelings and suspicions though, not facts!

going low carb from my previous diet did put me in a calorie deficit. My diet through out pregnancy was really awful!
You might want to consider watching some YouTubes from Dr Jamie Seaman (Dr Fit and Fabulous) - babies, low carb, womens health and similar is her field of expertise.