hunger-hypo or high!

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Hi everyone! For a while now I have been musing about how my hypo and hyper symptoms seem to have changed and I'm wondering if anyone else experiences the same things I do now..! I used to feel very hungry when I was hypo,but now I often feel nauseated instead and actually when my sugars are high now I feel an insatiable hunger! It's very bizarre-it seems like my symptoms have swapped around!! Any explanations/comments would be very welcome,I really am perplexed!! Xxx

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so pleased you have posted this. I have had T1 47 years and this has happened to me. Hyper really hungry, hypo feel sick. I must say it does not happen every time but does seem to be happening more frequently. :D

gollymax

Dislikes
frogs, snakes, snails, football, rugby, diabetes and all the problems that go with it
! am also pleased that this thead has been posted, I have very simular problems Feel very hungry and sugar levels can be as hight as 11+ feel very very thirsty and sugar levels can be <3.5 :?
I have had type 1 diabetes for 50 years :wave:
Kev

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
gollymax said:
Feel very hungry and sugar levels can be as hight as 11+ feel very very thirsty and sugar levels can be <3.5 :?
I have had type 1 diabetes for 50 years :wave:
Kev

Ive only been diabetic for 4 comming up to 5 years in January and yes and can get very thirsty when hypo (not hyper). I have something to cure the hypo then feel like necking a lot of drink, lol.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
One of my symptoms of a hypo is a sudden hunger feeling but can't say I get this when hyper, have you changed insulin's recently Marmite?

Nigel

Fallenstar

Hypo feel sick, and if very low I do sometimes vomit,nice! Don't sweat anymore,unless very low, so that ones gone.

Hyper, feel like walking through treacle, lethargic, very hungry craving all carbs,sweet stuff.
Sweet breath...some times if I wake up on the odd occasion very high in the night, my skin is sticky,mainly my hands. It's like the sugar is leaching out of my skin.....Anyone else get this ?.

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
Funny you saying that about craving sweet stuff and feeling very hungry with high sugars. I get the same. When i'm at normal levels i dont seem to want anything. I'm type 2 though. Do type 1 and 2 get the same things that go on?

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Hi everyone!

In response to Nigel, nothing about my medication has changed for me to feel hungry when hyper and it is interesting to hear other people experience the same thing!

I also crave carbs and sweet things when my sugars are actually high- it's very bizarre because you would think my body would want to be getting rid of sugar rather than wanting even more!! :crazy:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Marmite-lover said:
Hi everyone!

In response to Nigel, nothing about my medication has changed for me to feel hungry when hyper and it is interesting to hear other people experience the same thing!

Just a thought Marmite knowing that some people experience different symptoms with hypo's/hypers when switching insulins.

I also crave carbs and sweet things when my sugars are actually high- it's very bizarre because you would think my body would want to be getting rid of sugar rather than wanting even more!! :crazy:

Bizarre indeed! :)

sugar2

I am like Fallenstar with the "walking through treacle" feeling when hyper. I also want to comfort eat..ie not hungry, but for some reason want to graze...it is ridiculous, as it the last thing I should be doing...I have to fight the temptation, although luckily it doesn't happen often.

Hypo, early signs feel a bit drunk, like the top of my head has suddenly gone empty (no rude comments about that being normal please!) It feel like I am in a moving lift, all the time. Then, its the sweats and the vision and concentration going. Think this has always been the case though. I remeber the change from animal to synthetci insulin made a difference to hypo syptoms, but can't remember what it was now as it was so long ago.

Been T1 for 35 years

Kylie_Baker

Dislikes
impolite people, tv, cheap icecream...
Hi all,

I've recently been diagnosed T1 and starting to have a bit of a hard time with hypos, becoming frequent but completely manageable. However, trying my hardest to recognise hypers but find that I function quite well on 11+. Though having read the above I'll now take a closer look as I am a terrible grazer late morning and then early evening which now I come to think of it would coincide with hyper perhaps. Subconsiously this is for sweet things and carbs also.
My hypos I can pick right away, shakes big-time. Though first I can feel the lack of sugar in my body. I'm also starting to recognise how long I have till I really start crashing. Also hungry. My biggest problem is overcompensating to bring myself back up. Too many jelly-babies, I find myself getting very worried that they're not working quick enough.
I've got a 1 year old boy so getting my head around it is a little tricky. Any tips most welcome :)

Fallenstar

Hi Kylie
I used to be just like that, in the early days it was through sheer panic, sometimes later on it was just nice to have feelings of hunger, which seem to have dissapeared over the years...So I would have a little bit extra :oops: to enjoy that!
I am very good though now, as I can't do with the rebounds as you say, so I only need a couple of glucose tablets ,and to wait it out a few mins to feel right. I make sure I only use these now...as they taste :sick: so you don't want to over indulge ,try it :lol: not nice!

One thing I forgot to mention when going low, which I would be interested if anyone else gets is,the very first symptoms I get is real clarity of eyesight..I wear prescription lenses for driving and telly, so not too bad eyesightwise in general, but not great without them.
The first sign I'm going hypo when not wearing lenses is my eyesight becomes REALLY clear. It sounds weird but I can only explain it like film like quality and clarity to my eyesight for 30 seconds or so before other symptoms kick in :eh: Anyone else get this????
I wish I had this eyesight all the time, it must be the fight or flight hormones...getting me ready to find a place to run to and hide :lol:

daisy3174

Hi there, I have always felt nausea with a Hypo, the lower they are the worse it is.If it goes down in the 2mmol range I feel so bad I refuse Lucozade and I dont want anything and my daughter has to force me.I also get a terrible stomach pain everytime, around the liver area, this I find strange.And yes I get terrible cravings for carbohydrates (usually resist).I also go freezing cold (the opposite to the normal sweating) and just dont warm up until my sugar rises.In response to Fallenstar, that clarity of eyesight is so strange isnt it, I have to say my eyes just start burning really bad x

alliebee

Im so pleased to read this thread, Im a type 2 who until recently was well controlled on metformin

My bg is very high at an average of 15 at present and I too have that treacly dont want to do very much, has been insidious, just getting so lazy i was wondering what was happening to me

Im very hungry as well as thirsty, but just for carbs, whiich obviously WOULD AND DID send me up to 27 last week when I tried it. hve virtually cut out all carbs until monday morn when I have an appt to see my Dn.

Glicazide not working at all, Im hoping that I can go onto insulin, Just cant go on like this, Feel awful and need a loo to hand all day, and a lot of the night as well

Im worried they will try to bring on yet another med to try to get me sorted.
would sooner try insulin

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicey food, taxi drivers, hypos & hypers, pigeons, hospitals, dentists, my GP, my ****** immune system.
I asked my diabetes doctor about this and apparantly the hunger is because even though you're high, you will still be hungry if your stomach is empty/not filled up enough. I've pondered this for many years too! lol. x

TeeJay1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm new to the site and already finding out so much!
I read these posts with interest as I'm Type 2 though my company doctor believes me to be Type 1.5. My diabetes was under control until I had an incident at work. I work for a large company who rather than support their staff will punish them to avoid responsibility. It's a blame culture. I went through weeks of stress which set off a catalyst of events including losing my marriage and my home so things have not been easy. Because I'm a part time hypnotherapist I have dealt with the challenges better than some would and went back to my full time job in a downgraded position. However, my glucose levels are high usually between 10 and 18, 27 being the highest, I've been put onto Glipizide along with Metformin but still not stable. I had my first hypo on a reading of 4 and just feel so awful all the time. My legs are heavy and weak and my arms almost no strength with incredible fatique it is fast becoming an uphill battle which I'm struggling to win even with the most determined of attitude.
It has been a mystery to my doctors as to why diabetes showed up 2 years ago as I am slim, eat well and exercise regularly . .
I have all the hunger symptoms you guys have and just wondered how you are all getting on?
:)

Maple

One of the reasons you feel hungry when you're high is that your body is not getting the sugar into it, it's trapped in your blood. Your body is conditioned to provide you with a hunger response when you need something, therefore, when it feels that it doesn't have the fuel to keep going, it tells you it needs something more in it.

pickle76

Yes I agree with Maple. Your body is not able to 'use' the energy as the sugar is in your blood and not being broken down and converted into energy. Hence you feel hungry. Also the reason why when some people are first diagnosed with T1 they may have lost weight. And also I'm told why some may abuse their diabetes in order to lose weight and stay slim.

I too get hungry if I'm hyper, but do also get ravenous if I'm hypo, but only at less that 3.5.

tonibowatkins

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For two years I have felt dizzy and my blood level keeps on going up and down. I loose weight and eat alot and faint almost every day. I went to the gp and they tested me for diabetes and they found that everything is normal so they carried out some other tests and I got diagnosed with an overactive thyroid, this is very similar to diabetes so anyone can be mistaken

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive only been diabetic for 4 comming up to 5 years in January and yes and can get very thirsty when hypo (not hyper). I have something to cure the hypo then feel like necking a lot of drink, lol.
i had this... but i think it was the sugar tablets drying up my mouth