I'm looking to reverse my Type 2 Diabetes

frano1963

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since retiring from the RAF in 2006 I have been struggling with Multiple Sclerosis and my weight was increasing rapidly for some time and have been feeling very thirsty and finally decided to get myself tested. Type 2 diabetes was diagnosed and I have lived with the condition ever since, with an HbA1c of between 57 and a peak of 87 while recovering from a severe MS relapse.

In August 2020 I was well enough to start to do something about it by changing my lifestyle, losing the weight and try to address the situation. After reading lots of literature and watching loads of YouTube videos, I started to reduce the carbohydrates in my meals and I have been exercising when possible. The weight started to come off and I have now lost over 10kg in just 4 months. I feel much better for it and the weight is still coming off. I had my HbA1c review today via video call, it is now down to 6.6 or 49 mmol/mol. I still have work to do to put my type 2 diabetes into remission and would be grateful for any guidance.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since retiring from the RAF in 2006 I have been struggling with Multiple Sclerosis and my weight was increasing rapidly for some time and have been feeling very thirsty and finally decided to get myself tested. Type 2 diabetes was diagnosed and I have lived with the condition ever since, with an HbA1c of between 57 and a peak of 87 while recovering from a severe MS relapse.

In August 2020 I was well enough to start to do something about it by changing my lifestyle, losing the weight and try to address the situation. After reading lots of literature and watching loads of YouTube videos, I started to reduce the carbohydrates in my meals and I have been exercising when possible. The weight started to come off and I have now lost over 10kg in just 4 months. I feel much better for it and the weight is still coming off. I had my HbA1c review today via video call, it is now down to 6.6 or 49 mmol/mol. I still have work to do to put my type 2 diabetes into remission and would be grateful for any guidance.

Huge well done on getting your diabetes into a much better place, whilst having other challenges in your life. My SiL lives with MS, so I do appreciate how debilitating and unpredictable it can be.

In terms of what you do now? I would be inclined to invest a couple of weeks building a record of what I ate and drank, and finger prick test my bloods to see which foods did what and see if I could identify anything I could change to bring those numbers down a bit further.

If you already do this, then I would have a review of my records, with the same aim.

I guess, like the rest of us, the challenge is making changes you believe in and can sustain. Whilst making a drastic change to, say drop a few pounds that might have crept on might make sense, for the longer term, any changes need to be considered.

Finally, at any time have you had to or do you have to use steroids to contain flare-ups? Steroids can really push the numbers up, but sometimes they're the right thing at the time.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At 49 you're just at the borderline of remission but besides that you are an inspiration.
Best post I read today

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)

Hi Frano !!!!!

I just was characterized in remission 3 months ago ....

The first thing I would like give you the definition I use for remission:

Have two consecutive 3 month A1c readings that are below 39 mmol without taking any meds.

I have one question how frequently do you test your blood sugar numbers? I have found testing allowed me to make corrections in diet and exercise. Secondly my fasting blood sugars gave me a pretty good idea oh how I was doing.In my case my morning numbers were around 5. In all cases I targeted my numbers to in the Normal range. You have lost weight and watching carbs that is great !!!!! In terms of exercise find something that you can manage and feel comfortable. You do not have to go to a gym walking works wonders. You just need to find something that will burn off the sugar in your system. One thing I would like to add is when I say exercise I am not saying training for the Olympics just something that causes you use your body for 20 or 30 minutes a day.

Finally I would add I would concentrate keeping your numbers as low as possible and not worry about being in remission or not at least in the beginning. In my case I came into remission by accident, I was concentrating getting my numbers down due to Covid and had to be taken off my diabetic meds because I was constantly going hypo. I only started worrying about remission after my first normal a1c reading. I guess what I am trying say set some short range goals and build upon them. Remission is the final goal having intermediate goals makes it easier.

I hope this helps and the door is always open

Dave

I forgot to say once you are in remission you need stay at it. I was in remission once before and went back to old way of doing things and it was a mess.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReversingT2

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Not sure if you have heard Dr Terry Wahls.. put her MS into remission with a keto/paleo diet so should hopefully be a double winner for you..
https://terrywahls.com

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @frano1963

What an inspiring story. Great progress and good luck with the next steps. I’d agree with the testing and monitoring while you’re having success. It’s great to have the information to fall back on if you need to make some tweaks further along the line.

And keep posting here - it’s a great motivator.