New insulin pump via NHS funding

adi_mrok

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there, is anyone replacing their insulin pump in 2021 through nhs funding? If so did you hear anything from your clinic about post brexit arrangements, if funding is gonna change or if deliveries are going to be delayed?

Question 2 is what are the chances that someone can loose insulin pump funding? My wife got one from nhs in 2017 (we moved to uk in 2016) and is on pump therapy for last 15 yrs and this is really a game changer for her and helped her get hb1ac in grip. Now we are just bit concerned if someone at the clinic won't decide that she needs to go back to pens :(

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @adi_mrok, I can't help on the first question as my pump is supposed to be replaced this year :nailbiting:
On the second question, funding can certainly be withdrawn, but I don't think it happens very often. I changed hospitals this year but at my old clinic they threatened to withdraw funding, meaning I wouldn't have gotten a replacement when my warranty expired. I don't know if that would have actually happened, when I told my new consultant what had been said, they were horrified.
When I moved hospitals I knew there was a chance I may not have been able to continue with a pump (different CCG) and my new consultant wanted to know why I had started using a pump. Because the problem that led to me needing one hadn't come back whilst on the pump, they were happy to continue funding it. If your wife is at the same clinic that prescribed the pump then I can't see them withdrawing funding without a very good reason.

adi_mrok

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @adi_mrok, I can't help on the first question as my pump is supposed to be replaced this year :nailbiting:
On the second question, funding can certainly be withdrawn, but I don't think it happens very often. I changed hospitals this year but at my old clinic they threatened to withdraw funding, meaning I wouldn't have gotten a replacement when my warranty expired. I don't know if that would have actually happened, when I told my new consultant what had been said, they were horrified.
When I moved hospitals I knew there was a chance I may not have been able to continue with a pump (different CCG) and my new consultant wanted to know why I had started using a pump. Because the problem that led to me needing one hadn't come back whilst on the pump, they were happy to continue funding it. If your wife is at the same clinic that prescribed the pump then I can't see them withdrawing funding without a very good reason.
Hi Sleepster thanks for letting me know, she has changed a clinic but I think doctors are pretty happy with her results so I hope that will encourage them to keep the pump therapy. Hope to see some more replies as obviously we are a bit worried about current turmoil in the world. Again thank u for your time.

Reactions: sleepster