Breakfast cereals

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've since decided to keep my carbs to 30g max for breakfast & lunch.
That's 2 slices of toast for breakfast & a sandwich for lunch.
Then I allow myself 100g for dinner because it allows me eat any common meal, I often do my evening walk after dinner so I'm back in the low 5's anyway at 2 hours no matter what I eat.
In the evening I often have cheese & wine or some nuts.

I was the classic fat T2 who lost 5st and has suddenly recovered control.
My biggest problem is my weight loss has plateaued yet I'm still obese, BMI 31 @ 14.5st.
I know how fortunate I am & I try to post a bit more lately encouraging others, especially newbies.
But there is no nourishment in bread - yes it is fortified with various bits and pieces, but I think that protein and fat with something that has grown and cut in the last few days is a much better option.
Bread really is 'empty carbs'.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I disagree with some comments as they do not satisfy the 80/20 rule in my view, rather they are the 20 / 80 rule, which means most Type 2's cannot eat that way - high carb.

The friendliest breakfasts for a Type 2 are protein and fat based, such as bacon, eggs, sausages, kippers or left overs from the previous nights dinner; grain based cereals, cereal bars, toast and anything advertised on TV are good marketing exercises - most of these are at least 60 grams per 100 and the advertised portion sizes are not realistic (at least for me).

If you would like something really quick, similar to muesli and low carb, coconut flakes, berries, nuts, dark chocolate and non flavoured yogurt (you could replace with your almond milk), should tick the boxes for satiety and blood sugars. If I am doing 2 meals a day this is my first sometimes:

View attachment 45383
Out of interest have you calculated the amount of carbs in that breakfast? Berries have less carbs than other fruit but still some, similarly nuts and dark chocolate have low carbs but it will all add up.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Out of interest have you calculated the amount of carbs in that breakfast? Berries have less carbs than other fruit but still some, similarly nuts and dark chocolate have low carbs but it will all add up.

This is around 25 grams of carbs with almost as much fibre. The chocolate is Montezoma 100% dark, so around 1 carb. This is a full size meal for me (over sized plate) and easily lasts all day, I would think many would do half or two thirds, the density means I am satisfied at about half this amount (but I am a piggy):

Coconut Flakes Nuts Berries Greek Yogurt.png

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shredded wheat is 67% carbohydrate. Not a great thing for any T2 to be eating.

What is suitable for some one to eat is what they can eat and manage their condition properly. That's why we test, to find out and understand what gives a suitable response. Testing after eating, and monitoring your Hba1c is the part of this every one can agree on.

The things that are not good for a type 2 to eat are things that an individual cannot tolerate in their diet given their conditions progression.

It's perfectly possible to eat carbs in a careful and controlled way and maintain excellent blood glucose levels. Not for every one, but the way to find out is by eating and testing if the alternative is distasteful to you for what ever reason.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's perfectly possible to eat carbs in a careful and controlled way and maintain excellent blood glucose levels.
"excellent" really? and for how long before all the old problems restart. It's a slippery slope.

M

Member496333

Not much use maintaining half-decent blood glucose if you're battering your pancreas in the process. Eat to the meter is all well and good but you can't measure insulin at home so have no idea how much damage is being done. In my humble but informed opinion, we focus too much on blood glucose. It's all about the insulin. Indeed if we routinely measured it, most of us wouldn't be here in the first place.

All that said, it's not my place to tell people what to eat, but nevertheless something that is 67% carbohydrate is not going to be doing much good for anyone with metabolic scarring. Regardless of what their glucose monitor tells them.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Unless you are trying to put on weight or going for a long run there should be no need a big breakfast. Craving carbs suggests that your liver has not sufficiently replenished glycogen stores overnight. Needing a lot of fat suggests that your body has a problem mobilizing endogenous fat stores. Craving a lot of green stuff is typical of rabbits. Fixing the underlying problem may solve breakfast dilemmas.