How to control fasting glucose level

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi family,
I am finding my glucose level after meal is under control, however my fasting level is high regardless of excercise and diet control in dinner.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi family,
I am finding my glucose level after meal is under control, however my fasting level is high regardless of excercise and diet control in dinner.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all.

Hi there Faith. How high do you mean, and how long have you been trying to bring your blood glucose into order?

If it helps, many find their fasting, first thing in the morning is the last to drop into line.

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you actually take any meds? High blood sugar in the morning is sometimes due to no meds or being woken up a lot at night and a poor night's sleep.

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there Faith. How high do you mean, and how long have you been trying to bring your blood glucose into order?

If it helps, many find their fasting, first thing in the morning is the last to drop into line.
It ranges from 8-12. Since i have revisited my diet recently and started excercising, may be too early to expect controlled results. Thank you!

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you actually take any meds? High blood sugar in the morning is sometimes due to no meds or being woken up a lot at night and a poor night's sleep.
I am under observation and now on excercise and controlled diet. Yes, you are spot on, i do wake up lot during night as i am light sleeper. Thanks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It ranges from 8-12. Since i have revisited my diet recently and started excercising, may be too early to expect controlled results. Thank you!

Stick with it. If it really refuses to come down, drop in again and folks will maybe suggest things to try, but for me, patience was the key

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stick with it. If it really refuses to come down, drop in again and folks will maybe suggest things to try, but for me, patience was the key
What is thought if i am unable to bring down with diet and excercise? Is it quick to make conclusion? Should i watch for few days more or go with GP suggested medication? I am worried to take meds as i have heard it will actually damage your kidney eventually. Apology, but honestly, this is the only community I look up to. Xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is thought if i am unable to bring down with diet and excercise? Is it quick to make conclusion? Should i watch for few days more or go with GP suggested medication? I am worried to take meds as i have heard it will actually damage your kidney eventually. Apology, but honestly, this is the only community I look up to. Xx

Your decision on medication you have been offered is entirely your own.

Depending on what your other numbers, weight and so on are doing, in your shoes I'd be giving it around 3 months, if other numbers, before and after meals were coming into a better place.

Reactions: Faithhope

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting figures have a mind of their own, so I work on the general principle that my liver knows best! I've simply set myself an acceptable range for all my testing, and as long as they tend to stay within those limits I'm not bothered, and overall they have little impact on my average glucose levels and HbA1c results.

But in general, if you're eating few enough carbs balanced with sufficient fats for a long enough time, your body will end up "fat adapted", and since you don't then need constant carby input for energy, your glucose will tend to stabilize/level out.

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Instead of starting another thread, I thought to use this thread. So eating green salad with half apple, 13g carb as per nutritional chart gave me BG reading of 14. Before that i had lil mix nuts ( peanuts, almomd and cashew). Could you suggest where i am going wrong? Also, is mango good to eat or should I avoid it?

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Instead of starting another thread, I thought to use this thread. So eating green salad with half apple, 13g carb as per nutritional chart gave me BG reading of 14. Before that i had lil mix nuts ( peanuts, almomd and cashew). Could you suggest where i am going wrong? Also, is mango good to eat or should I avoid it?
I think most of us have to do a great deal of trial and error with our diets to figure out what individually suits us best. I think your reading of 14 may have been due to a slow BG rise from the nuts (peanuts and especially cashews are quite high in carbs) coinciding with a rapid rise from the apple. Mango is higher in carbs than apple. I only eat a small helping very rarely.

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think most of us have to do a great deal of trial and error with our diets to figure out what individually suits us best. I think your reading of 14 may have been due to a slow BG rise from the nuts (peanuts and especially cashews are quite high in carbs) coinciding with a rapid rise from the apple. Mango is higher in carbs than apple. I only eat a small helping very rarely.
Thank you for responding. Yes, thats the only it looks like. Thank you again!!

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for responding. Yes, thats the only it looks like. Thank you again!!
Ok i had my Hba1c done and it is 8.1. I am been recommended for metformin 500mg twice a day. As you can see from previous post that i am already on diet and exercising and actually can see impact on bg test which i am.monitoring regularly after diagnosis. I want to know your advice and cant decide on my own if i should try for coming months for bg to get lower without meds or go for meds. Note my bg is already lowering after i have changed my diet and started exercising. Thanks zillions wonderful family.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't say anything on the meds questions - that one is up to you to weigh up. I've never been on meds, and had a higher HBA1C result than yours last year (if I have my conversions right).

However, I also have a history of drastically lowering my HBA1C over a six-month period from 86 to 73 to 48, due to diet changes and exercise, so that bit can be done, but does take time and sticking with it. My most recent HBA1C was last year and 55 (I didn't really stick with low carb - toast and mince pies crept in). The nurse did say if it was any higher they'd recommend meds, but 'knew' I knew what to do, even though I wasn't doing it.

I'm due my annual review next month, so have been monitoring a lot lately, and last month also had numbers in the morning where I was lucky if it was 8 or 9 - had been as high as 13 (I always have highest numbers in the morning, lowest towards the evening). It's been a month of true low carb for me (under 30g a day) and I can say that I had my lowest morning numbers this week, between 6 and 6.5. Good luck in your decision!

Dangkon

Yes. Stay away from high carb foods. For me, I have avoid eating rice and eat lots of veggies. Since then my fgl ranges 7.5 to 8.5 most days. I took this regiment after my doctors suggested insulin when my fasting glands was around 12. I am a type 2 D for over 20 years starting at age 45.