Type 2

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. This is not diabetes related but I just have to ask if it's ok to press a doorbell with my sleeve during covid as I can't get an answer anywhere else cheers Kevin.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have nitrile gloves. Some doorbells I wouldn't be able 3reach.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But does virus stay on bell if one uses ones fingers. Thanks for replies ..

there have been a number of studies to establish how long the novel coronavirus survives on surfaces. It varies a lot, depending on what the surface is, but the time varies from a few hours to around 3 days. Sunlight and weather and temperature also affects it.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

interestingly, hospital doorhandles used to be brass, because brass has anti-bac, anti-viral properties. But in recent years they have discontinued that tradition, and now stainless steel is used, which is one of the surfaces that the virus lives longest on.

so yes, the coronavirus (and all sorts of other bugs and viruses can be transferred on doorhandles, pedestrian crossing buttons, doorbells, handrails, stair rails, etc. etc.

Personally, I have been using my knuckle on doorbells and pedestrian crossing buttons, for years.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks brunneria. I'm still wondering if it's ok to use my jacket sleeve on doorbell.

If you read the article link in my post above you will see that it mentions the survival rate of the virus on fabric.

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Use your knuckle. But anything revolting may require purple nitrite gloves...!!