Moving to UK with my 22 year old daughter T1D

Scott Herron

Hi, I am a British citizen that has been living in Canada for most of my life. I am considering moving back to the UK (Northern Ireland) with my family. My daughter can get her British citizenship through me so she has the right to legally live in the UK with no visa requirements. My question is the following.

How would she go about getting access to a GP to get her insulin.?

Unfortunately she also has Gastroparesis and requires other meds too.

I've looked at the requirements for registering with a local GP practice, but some of the documentation the practice requires to be accepted seems impossible for her to acquire in order to register.

I think we would need to fill out the HSCR1 form (remember this is Northern Ireland so forms may be different from England) . The form says we need three pieces of information.
1 - Lawfully in NI - Her passport covers this.
2 - Residing in NI - Things listed are driver's license, rates bill, utility bill etc - she would have none of these as she will be living with me
3 - Reason for being in NI - payslip, letter confirming pension or benefit. She doesn't meet any of the listed criteria.

Does anyone one know if these three criteria are an absolute must or are there exceptions?

Like I said she would be considered a british citizen, but wouldn't have access to the required information to apply to the NHS

Thanks for reading

Scott

Reactions: MargaretR

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Scott Herron, I have no experience in these matters but it says on the form to contact Medical Registrations to discuss alternative documents. That said, as your daughter is your dependant I would have thought that a document in your name would be acceptable for criteria 2 and 3, assuming you would have those documents.
It's not the same at all, but when I was opening a bank account I didn't have the kind of the required proof of address etc and so my mum, who used the same bank (and had bills etc in her name), had to sign a letter stating that I lived at the same address etc and that was accepted by the bank. I can't imagine that every single person has all the required documentation, there must be some leeway. How would a homeless person, for example, or children, access NHS care otherwise?
Would your daughter be able to get some extra supplies before leaving Canada so she has enough to cover any delays?
Hopefully someone with experience in these things will be along in the morning :)

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
A bank statement would work as proof of residence.

Getting access to GP? Has always been as simple for me as walking in and filling out a form, but being previously non-UK resident is going to make the forms different. A letter from her current doctor setting out what medicines she is taking and a brief medical background will be much appreciated by the GP. Hopefully all her meds have identical versions this side of the pond.

Come to think of it, she'll need a national insurance number, and the letters from that might also be good enough for proof of residence.

If she is a British citizen, she has a right of residence and that is her reason for being in NI.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Herron

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is not that straight forward in the UK. For example I have a Disabled bus pass but to renew it if cracked I must provide my annual pension statement and it must not be dated more than three months beforehand. Usually the tv licence is proof enough so put it in her name. I have a tv licence exemption hence the problem.

Reactions: Scott Herron

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
It is not that straight forward in the UK. For example I have a Disabled bus pass but to renew it if cracked I must provide my annual pension statement and it must not be dated more than three months beforehand.
And the inconsistent local authorities strike again. To renew my disabled bus pass I have to turn up at a local library and sign a statement saying my health hasn't improved. A TV license (again locally) is not valid for proof of residence if paid electronically over the web.

OP, your best bet is going to be either phoning the actual GPs surgery, or getting a local to go in and get their requirements in writing.