Dealing with prendisilone glucose spikes

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Probably been asked before , but I'm starting a fairly high dose of prendisilone tomorrow ( 60mg every day ) the medical team (renal team) have said to expect spikes and have had an appointment for blood tests and a meeting about dealing with the spikes , thing is that will be 4 days after my 1st dose , so do i take the hit on my levels or do I compensate with extra insulin and if so how much , I know everyone is different but how high can I expect them to spike

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long are you going to be on that dose? I could only tolerate 40mg. I needed to start insulin and used a freestyle libre to control the spikes.

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
For a month initially, they will review and if its causing too much hassle they will switch to cyclsphorin , apparently I've a. Enlarged kidney and protien is getting trough , as i said all i'll know more on Wednesday but I'm a bit concerned till then

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I have to take 30mg a day, it increases my blood sugar levels a lot, and I take at least 50% more insulin than usual. I would suggest testing every 2 hours for the first couple of days, and giving correction doses to work out how much to increase your basal by. Even then, you may have to give correction doses, but be careful of stacking insulin. Keep an eye out for ketones as well.

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheers, I'll keep all that in mind

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Right quick update, my kidney doctors have said to up my basal and bolus by 2 units a dose , the lantus seems to be working but still getting high levels post/pre lunch/ dinner , up as high as 16.4 one day, should I stick with the extra 2 units of novo or increase it by more and advise them , dont want to be stacking insulin like mentioned earlier