Poll: Which diabetes course(s) have you attended?

Which of the following structured diabetes education courses have you attended?

• DAFNE

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • DESMOND

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • X-PERT

Votes: 70 10.8%
  • ASPIRE

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Freedom4Life

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (Please state in a post)

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • Never attended one

Votes: 291 44.8%

• Total voters

Dicko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my first session on DICE - Diabetes In Control Everyday (I think that's missing a semicolon) in Shipley, West Yorkshire. Six week course, 2.5 hours each session. So far - knocked out that the dietitian taking the course is pro-low-carb and says so. We will be spending a whole session specifically on low-carb lifetime diets. Most of the first session was spent gently telling people that the "healthy eating" advice they've been used to isn't any good for diabetics. Given the low expectations I had from reading their leaflets, I think this could be really helpful. Nothing new so far for me, but then I have been almost living on this forum for the past six weeks.

Hi Kenny,

I did DICE at Pinderfields in Wakefield, DICE is their version of DAFNE, DICE stands for Diabetes Insulin Carbohydrate Education. Very informative course, 3 days in total and half a day follow up after three months. Highly recommended.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kenny,

I did DICE at Pinderfields in Wakefield, DICE is their version of DAFNE, DICE stands for Diabetes Insulin Carbohydrate Education. Very informative course, 3 days in total and half a day follow up after three months. Highly recommended.

In Shipley it stands for (they say) Diabetes In Control Everyday. And it lasted six days across six weeks. The most notable things were a) the tension between the pro-low-carb dietitian and the pro-Eatwell plate diabetic nurse, and b)nthe inability to get 75% of the course members to realise that fruit and starch wasn't healthy. I wonder if it's even the same course?

Reactions: Dicko

kazam401

It took my local health service over 30 years to offer me any kind of diabetic learning course, I went on the DAFNE course which after all that time I found interesting.
Pity my health service waited that long to try and teach me how to suck eggs.

landylara

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Driving.
In Shipley it stands for (they say) Diabetes In Control Everyday. And it lasted six days across six weeks. The most notable things were a) the tension between the pro-low-carb dietitian and the pro-Eatwell plate diabetic nurse, and b)nthe inability to get 75% of the course members to realise that fruit and starch wasn't healthy. I wonder if it's even the same course?
I have done the dafne course (dose adjustment for normal eating). I did this years ago and have done a refresher course last year. It was well worth the update.

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
Haven't attended any of the courses because they were based on the Eatwell /Guide, which makes people sicker. There isn't a single low carb GP in my county.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't attended any of the courses because they were based on the Eatwell /Guide, which makes people sicker. There isn't a single low carb GP in my county.
The courses are not just about diet.

aard

None , because who has the time to attrnd a six day course?

Also most of the information is available on the internet. In fact Ive had nurses and GPs giving me orintouts from the internet for othef things.

Of course it does get written down on my medical record lije I'm some troublemaker!

M

Member529656

I haven't been offered any course. However a friend was diagnosed as pre diabetic. He was offered a place on an expert course. His wife didn't want to accompany him,so he took me.
We had fun winding up the presenters , we didn't learn much, but were both impressed by the high drop out rate, over the course. Thirty odd down to eight.! One thing we both noted was that there were a more than a few who had a negative attitude. They "couldn't do this or that," diet ,exercise ,lifestyle change ,etc, because," they were diabetic."
Dont let it spoil living.

Arizona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Been offered a DESMOND course. Not sure what to expect, was diagnosed 6 years ago.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never been to any of the courses that are announced in the Diabetes Queensland quarterly members magazine Circle.

I had to much work on to attend any at the time, and I was not going to lose money by going to them as they are not compulsory.

I am now retired, and I still will not be going as I have better things to do at present.