Help with New Pump choice

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, just had appt over phone with my DSN & Consultant, apparently my Accu Chek Insight Pump ran out of warranty and they will be replacing it with new one I can have Mini Med 640g or possibly an Accu Chek Solo if they can get get the funding? I’m used to having pre-filled insulin cartridges with my current pump what are you thoughts please on these pumps? There is another Accu Chek but no handset there will be an app but it’s not compatible with my iPhone!! Quite nervous changing as I’m used to this pump now! Thank you for your help!! Oh and they are also giving me the Libre to try for 6 months as well!

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As long as you give door frames a wide berth you'll be fine with the libre ;) I just started using it in May and I don't notice the sensors are there, except for a minute after I've put a new one on, it doesn't hurt but I can feel it.
I have a 640g and I really like it, I'm getting another one when I'm allowed to go to the hospital to get it. I had an older Medtronic before, so it wasn't much of a change when I got the 640g, but it might be more difficult for you having had another brand of pump. Medtronic customer service is really good and their reps are good too. Has your clinic given you the chance to talk to anyone from Medtronic? Mine had webinars set up with the reps for Medtronic and Omnipod (the options available) for those whose warranties were expiring, so we could ask any questions. Filling the reservoirs is fine, unless you have dexterity problems, only takes a minute to do :)

Reactions: Tracyann35

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As long as you give door frames a wide berth you'll be fine with the libre ;) I just started using it in May and I don't notice the sensors are there, except for a minute after I've put a new one on, it doesn't hurt but I can feel it.
I have a 640g and I really like it, I'm getting another one when I'm allowed to go to the hospital to get it. I had an older Medtronic before, so it wasn't much of a change when I got the 640g, but it might be more difficult for you having had another brand of pump. Medtronic customer service is really good and their reps are good too. Has your clinic given you the chance to talk to anyone from Medtronic? Mine had webinars set up with the reps for Medtronic and Omnipod (the options available) for those whose warranties were expiring, so we could ask any questions. Filling the reservoirs is fine, unless you have dexterity problems, only takes a minute to do :)

Thank you for the advice really appreciate it, with regards to the pump I think I need to make a choice of which pump to go for before the hospital do anything and also for the Solo Pump end of November to see if they get the funding! I like having that handset with the pump but I guess only cause I don’t know any different I guess

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thank you that’s good to hear although nervous about having something else attached to me lol
Once you've used the Libre, I don't think you'll go back!! Takes some getting used to, but I couldn't be without it now, so invaluable. Good luck.

Dom N

Hi, Tracyann. I'm in precisely the same situation. It's a personal choice, of course. I opted to get another A.C Insight because of the pre-loaded cartridges -- it's just one less faff to deal with. I was nervous about changing too - better the devil you know (was my thinking). In addition, I am using a closed looping system (where my Dexcom CGM talks to my pump and controls my insulin for me). It was very tricky to set up and I don't want to jinx it by going to a new pump. They are my two reasons for staying with the Insight, despite it having a few disadvantages (I HATE changing the battery, for example!!).

Reactions: Tracyann35

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, Tracyann. I'm in precisely the same situation. It's a personal choice, of course. I opted to get another A.C Insight because of the pre-loaded cartridges -- it's just one less faff to deal with. I was nervous about changing too - better the devil you know (was my thinking). In addition, I am using a closed looping system (where my Dexcom CGM talks to my pump and controls my insulin for me). It was very tricky to set up and I don't want to jinx it by going to a new pump. They are my two reasons for staying with the Insight, despite it having a few disadvantages (I HATE changing the battery, for example!!).

It’s interesting because they haven’t given me the option to actually stay on this pump?? I’ll speak to my DSN I think and see what she says! I know what you mean about the faff of having to use a vial to change your insulin I definitely love the preloaded cartridges makes for an easier life too!! Thanks for your advice much appreciated

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Actually I can stay on it but they are taking the handset later will be available with an app but not for iPhone which I currently have just my luck lol

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Tracyann35 I have no experience of either of the pumps you mention but I have a couple of thoughts which may help
- I have always had to fill my cartridges. I find it no faff and prefer it because I have to change my pump every 3 days and only use 30 units of insulin each day. So with pre-filled cartridges, I would waste a lot of insulin. Filling them myself, I only fill to 120 units.
- the Libre is great but only if you know its limitations, It seems we are not told about these by out diabetes teams which is why there are lots of treads about in accurate readings. I recommend you read back through some of the Libre threads but in summary
- Libre are less accurate for the first 24 to 48 hours. Many people insert them for a day or two before they activate them.
- Libre are less accurate when blood sugars are high or low. Before correcting a high or a low, I have been told to always test with a finger prick.
- Libre are about 15 minutes behind true (finger prick) readings. This can be significant if your blood sugars are changing fast such as when exercising or after eating fast acting carbs. A hypo may appear to take a long time to recover because of the delay.
- some sensors are faulty (don't work or big discrepancy). Abbot are great at replacing them if you phone them.
- some people find their sensors fall off easily, Part of this is just getting used to it being attached at the back of your arm when walking through doors or dressing. But for some, they just have unstickable skin and need something like Tagederm to keep them in place.
Enjoy your Libre and good luck with your pump choice.

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

The Libre is brilliant and the app for that works on the iPhone :) oh and get some kinesiology tape to keep it on

The pump its a personal choice and I haven't looked at those ones. When I was researching pumps I made a table comparing them what they provided and what positives and negatives of each

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just had appt over phone with my DSN & Consultant, apparently my Accu Chek Insight Pump ran out of warranty and they will be replacing it with new one I can have Mini Med 640g or possibly an Accu Chek Solo if they can get get the funding? I’m used to having pre-filled insulin cartridges with my current pump what are you thoughts please on these pumps? There is another Accu Chek but no handset there will be an app but it’s not compatible with my iPhone!! Quite nervous changing as I’m used to this pump now! Thank you for your help!! Oh and they are also giving me the Libre to try for 6 months as well!
Hi Tracyann35. How are you getting on with your choice? I am currently on the 640g, but admittedly have just ordered a Tandem t-slim as my replacement through the hospital. I don't know the accucheck pumps, but I can say I had no real issues with the 640g (4 years). I never used it with a CGM, only the Libre. The pump comes with a finger prick device which sends readings directly to the pump, then you enter your meal carbs etc. There are plenty of features on it, even when using in Manual mode. The reason I'm changing is the physical size (640 is a little bulky), the Tandem uses Dexcom CGM which is cheaper if I go that route, an in the future will be compatible with the Libre 3, which will hopefully be cheaper than Dexcom. Everyone will have their own personal experiences, and all pumps will have good and bad points. Go with your gut feelings though and what you think suits you. If you want NY more feedback on the 640, let.me know.