Colds and diabetes

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I am into my second cold since August, and each time I feel so very rough, I guess it affects my BGs, though not checked - too frightened to! Does anyone else feel bad with colds, and do they find them hard to shake off :?: This one going into second week (last one lasted 3 weeks - by the time I lost that awful feeling that one gets with colds). I think my husband believes I am a hypochondriac - I even feel like one - keep moaning how I feel unwell :crazy:

Grazer

In the middle of a bad cold now. Not as bad as your's sound though, mine only last a few days. I've heard about BGs rising with colds, but not sure if that's so. This is a link to my post about my cold - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25395 Nice suprise for me! Think you need to be careful with the meds. Lemsip type stuff often has glucose in, so I take straight capsules, and cough mixtures have tons of glucose so I use Robitussin no-sugar cough mixture. I wonder if people report high BGs with colds because of the medicines they take, not realising what's in some of them.
Good luck, put your feet up and have a nice hot toddy!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I must be lucky in that colds dont seem to affect my bg levels but the few time I have had some sort of infection thats when I have noticed a rise in levels often before I know I have an infection :crazy:

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Grazer, not sure mine feels worse than yours - just further along, have to confess to ice cream last Sunday when throat needed soothing, but have been taking Lemsip as they say they have sweetners and I did not consider the glucose, maybe that is why I feel so rough, but I have that nasty feeling that often occurs with colds, woolly head etc or maybe that is my blood sugars! Tried that Robitussin but does not seem to do much for me. Oh, well, plod on - maybe feel better tomorrow - and maybe I should lay off the Lemsip, but they do seem to have some kind of soothing quality, but I think that is more of a psychological effect than a real one! Hope you feel better soon. :)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am going into second week of sore throat and really bad cough. DSN advised that cough bottles are OK to take as, even though they have sugar content, they are taken in small doses.

I personally find chocolate to be very soothing on the throat and, as I can't eat much else (end up in a coughing fit) my BG levels haven't been too bad (except this morning 8.4 as I had pkt of maltesers during the night :oops: )

Really do hope it clears up this week as it is really getting me down

WhitbyJet

HpprKM - can you drink/make ginger and lemon tea or coconut milk with ginger and sweetener? Both are very soothing and would give you the goodness of coconut and fresh ginger (I posted some soothing drinks recipes in the low carb recipes section)

Try to eat nourishing soups, you need to build up your immune system, and tell hubby that you are most definitely NOT a hypochondriac, a cold can make anyone feel really rotten and you barely recovered from the first one before this second one hit you.

Big hug (((((HpprKM))))), hope you feel better soon.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
When I get a cold it always takes a long time to go at least 3 weeks. I have 1 now and I have had symptoms for a week before I got the full cold!

Grazer

chocoholicnomore said:
I am going into second week of sore throat and really bad cough. DSN advised that cough bottles are OK to take as, even though they have sugar content, they are taken in small doses.
Not sure about this. 2 teaspoons of cough mixture is about 1 - 2 teaspoons sugar. Have that 4 times a day........??

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see what you are saying Grazer. Never thought of it like that. Maybe I am just being lucky with levels as I am not eating much. Had chicken soup (again) an hour ago and a dose of cough medicine and my BG level is 5.8 (just tested it)

HpprKM

Dislikes
Hi All, Many thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with me, not saying my husband said I am a hypochondriac, I just think he must :D Just got over moaning about one cold and now have another - he doesn't seem to get colds, or anything else for that matter, not that I want him too - far from it :wink: He has his own long term illness to deal with, love the sound of ginger and coconut, cold somewhat better today, cough somewhat irritating but not keeping me awake at night so far.

Wishing all others well and big hugs if they are feeling a little bit down and under the weather - always someone to listen, support or advise on this GREAT forum LOL

byte83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Olbas oil, vapo rub, menthol tissues (kleenex now do them) and soya ice cream or yoghurts for the throat. These are what I use, always seem to get colds n most develop into chest infections (due to asthma). Know what you mean about feeling like a hypochondriac I always seem to be at docs. Hope you feel better soon.

HpprKM

Dislikes

flyer_phil

Yes colds are terrible, especially if you are a bloke; we don't get colds we have life threatening flu.

However I haven't had a cold now for nearly 2 years and this has been true ever since I started taking zinc every day during the Autumn and Winter months.

I take a 15mg tablet each day in the morning along with my first Metformin dose and a 75mg aspirin. Try it, it works for me and I'm convinced it makes a difference. There is a lot of literature/research about this, Google it.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
flyer_phil said:
I take a 15mg tablet each day in the morning along with my first Metformin dose and a 75mg aspirin. Try it, it works for me and I'm convinced it makes a difference. There is a lot of literature/research about this, Google it.

I think that zinc is also good for your sperm quality.

Just sayin'...