Accidentally gave a double dose of Levemir

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Sorry if I’m not meant to be posting this here.. I just wanted advice as I’ve accidentally just given myself a double dose of Levemir.
I do 16 units in the morning and 8 at night, and gave myself the morning dose because I wasn’t thinking.

Do you think it’ll have much effect? If so what would you recommend I do?

Thanks!
Jessica

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Unfortunately this is likely to affect your blood glucose overnight (next 12 hrs ish). I'd recommend setting an alarm every couple of hours and testing to see what your blood glucose is doing. It's probably going to go low, and keep going low. You might want to gather your hypo treatments, so you know they are to hand and within easy reach.

This is really an individual thing, different for different people. If you are sensitive to dose changes your blood glucose could plummet, which is really scary. OTOH, it's possible the dose change will make only a small difference. It's also possible your liver will get in on the act, perform a dump and send your blood glucose sky high.

I'm sorry to be of such little help, but truthfully, no one knows what effect the double dose will have. You need to keep monitoring your blood glucose for safety.

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately this is likely to affect your blood glucose overnight (next 12 hrs ish). I'd recommend setting an alarm every couple of hours and testing to see what your blood glucose is doing. It's probably going to go low, and keep going low. You might want to gather your hypo treatments, so you know they are to hand and within easy reach.

This is really an individual thing, different for different people. If you are sensitive to dose changes your blood glucose could plummet, which is really scary. OTOH, it's possible the dose change will make only a small difference. It's also possible your liver will get in on the act, perform a dump and send your blood glucose sky high.

I'm sorry to be of such little help, but truthfully, no one knows what effect the double dose will have. You need to keep monitoring your blood glucose for safety.
Thank you, I appreciate your help. I’ll set an alarm and monitor it overnight. Thanks again