Steroid Injection for shoulder injuries

Jacksj104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has any one been told they cant have a steroid injection unless they get their HAB1C down to 50

I know blood sugar level will rise after an injection but refusing treatment seems to go against the research I have seen on the web

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
You need to be aware that any steroid injection is going to seriously affect your ability to control your blood sugar. The closer you are to being “in target” will greatly help you. Once you do anything for these steroid injections your controls will be off the table for a while.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Has any one been told they cant have a steroid injection unless they get their HAB1C down to 50

I know blood sugar level will rise after an injection but refusing treatment seems to go against the research I have seen on the web

Who told you that?

A one off will throw your levels off for a number of days. Just depends on the person and how it affects them, it can vary. I can't see what a hba1c has to do with being refused?

Jacksj104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Who told you that?

A one off will throw your levels off for a number of days. Just depends on the person and how it affects them, it can vary. I can't see what a hba1c has to do with being refused?
Its my wife who was refused an injection by our health trusts muscular skeletal unit. We have had a right fight to get to see them at first they called her a suitable Ghost Physiotherapy candidate in the first telephone interview and they sent her a rubber band and an A4 exercise sheet in the post

The exercises are too painful to do so we complained to her GP and got physical appointment during which the chap she saw didn't want to talk about anything other than exercise. It was only when she spat her dummy out and demanded an injection that he went and talked to someone else and came back and said no you can't have an injection until you get your HAB1C down to fifty please go away

We get the distinct impression that its rationing for financial reasons.

We would go back to the GP but their appointment system has completely broken down. You wait on the phone for 30 minutes to be told there are no appointment so ring back another day in case we might have one

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Its my wife who was refused an injection by our health trusts muscular skeletal unit. We have had a right fight to get to see them at first they called her a suitable Ghost Physiotherapy candidate in the first telephone interview and they sent her a rubber band and an A4 exercise sheet in the post

The exercises are too painful to do so we complained to her GP and got physical appointment during which the chap she saw didn't want to talk about anything other than exercise. It was only when she spat her dummy out and demanded an injection that he went and talked to someone else and came back and said no you can't have an injection until you get your HAB1C down to fifty please go away

We get the distinct impression that its rationing for financial reasons.

We would go back to the GP but their appointment system has completely broken down. You wait on the phone for 30 minutes to be told there are no appointment so ring back another day in case we might have one

Wow, that's a sad situation all round. Very unhelpfull to say the least. It just sounds like you are being fobbed off completely. I hope someone will be able to help your wife, that's incredibly frustrating for you both.

Maybe someone else on this site will be able to offer some advice.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like the medical opinion is that steroids are not right for her. They don't work for everyone. I got no benefit from steroid injections. They just messed with blood sugar. I then tried Serrapeptase, a natural supplement, and got complete relief. And no side effects.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Lilylala

Hi sorry to hear your wife's situation of being refused the injection , I know myself living with pain for the last 2 years with a double frozen shoulders I really do sympathise .I myself did not get any such questions about hba1c only that to monitor my bs after my steroid injection as was aware it would be raised for a few weeks and to adjust my insulin this was in January before covid.Unfortunately the procedure did not help and went on to have surgery which they found a bone spur causing the pain and reason for Lack of movement .I was supposed to of had steroid injection in the other arm but told me that I was very high risk to covid and have delayed this procedure ? So maybe it's a covid prevention of your under 50 hba1c then in diabetic remission then no longer classes as high risk?This whole covid restriction is frustrating and getting treatment in this worrying times may take longer or not at all in some circumstances we must all stay safe .

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Intensive physio worked better for me than medicating the joint. The physio almost had me in tears to start with - but the initial injury happened 20 years ago so it was very locked up.

Would that be an option for the time being? I suspect covid is having an effect on all non urgent car is despite government promises

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had steroid injections, without my hba1c being questioned. Shoulder one helped for 6 days, then stopped, and they wanted to operate. I chose to go for acupuncture instead, and it took a while to help, but am so glad I chose that route.