Insulin

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I inject humalog 75/25 insulin daily. Now I find that after evening tea, my sugar levels keep rising so I inject 6 units to keep it down overnight. I need to eat a fair bit in the evening otherwise I would starve and I don't want to inject more insulin at teatime as it may drop too fast especially if I go for a walk. Speaking of walking, I went for a walk after my tea . My level before tea had been around 6.1 or so. I injected 16 units. When I returned from walk, it was 5.6. so I are a slice of brown bread cos I thought a hypo might come on if I didn't. But I needn't have bothered eating it seems as my sugars kept rising so was forced to inject the 6 units later on. Then next morning it was 7.3. any advice most welcome.. cheers Kevin. ..

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you considered asking whoever is in charge of your diabetes care to switch you to a basal/bolus regime? It's a basal insulin you take either once or twice a day (depending which one your on) to keep you ticking over in the absence of food and the bolus you take before the food to suit the amount of carbs you are about to consume (I do apologise if you were aware already) but it's far more flexible and dare I say easier to manage on this regime than it is to be on a mixed insulin like yourself xx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What is your weight like? If you are slim, being T1 becomes a possibility. If you have excess weight then going low-carb may help reduce any insulin resistance.

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What is your weight like? If you are slim, being T1 becomes a possibility. If you have excess weight then going low-carb may help reduce any insulin resistance.
Thanks for your help. I'm 69 kg and 67 years old.

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you considered asking whoever is in charge of your diabetes care to switch you to a basal/bolus regime? It's a basal insulin you take either once or twice a day (depending which one your on) to keep you ticking over in the absence of food and the bolus you take before the food to suit the amount of carbs you are about to consume (I do apologise if you were aware already) but it's far more flexible and dare I say easier to manage on this regime than it is to be on a mixed insulin like yourself xx
Thanks for your help. I wasn't aware that I might need to change to basal/ bolus regime. I won't do anything for the moment as sugars are good at lunchtime and teatime. Cheers Kevin