Help with hypos please

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Can anyone help, having my dinner at say 6pm, injecting what I think is correct of novorapid, takes forever to work then it seems like it just keeps going, last night 6 hours novo I was 2.4 and feeling bad enough for it to wake me up, its like in space, if I adjust my bg on a path, it just keeps going, why wouldnt the novorapid stop working after the 3 hours?

Thanks

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on a basal insulin? NovoRapid can last 4-5 hours in the system not just 3 but if your on a basal it could be that and you might be better performing a basal test to see if it needs any adjustments xx

Reactions: ert and Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou

Yes Humalin I at bedtime, how would i do that please?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
My basal seems ok, any less and I run high, but still go low at 3am (for some reason)

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought it was 3 hours, I wonder if the 6 hours is not accounting for an hour to get going so effectively 5 hours, that would make sense I suppose, thankyou

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou,

Wow that looks very involved, my going to bed numbers are different everyday, nothing is steady with my bgs, ever lol, i would love to avoid these hypos though. As you can see, I am not very well controlled in general lol

upload_2020-11-18_19-53-1.jpeg

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right I'd definitely suggest you perform a basal test, if that seems fine and keeps you level then I'd possibly look at your bolus ratios, do you spike badly after meals? Do you have something to eat before going to bed if below a certain level etc?
xx

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Right I'd definitely suggest you perform a basal test, if that seems fine and keeps you level then I'd possibly look at your bolus ratios, do you spike badly after meals? Do you have something to eat before going to bed if below a certain level etc?
xx
I only eat out of mealtimes if im in the red zone, like last night had a jam sandwich although I could barely find my mouth, seems mad eating when im not hungry, yes crazy spikes when I eat but every now and then, it is all perfect, im destined to failure.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it may be best to take some carbs on board when you are about to head to bed if below a certain level to stop you from dipping too low

For instance last night I was 7.0 when I went to bed and I know I tend to dip or drop by getting up at 5:30am so I had 1 and a half digestive biscuits to stop this which worked well
Screenshot_20201118-200013.jpg

Personally I would've used something faster acting than a jam sandwich, even just the jam itself would have acted faster

Do you pre bolus before you eat?
xx

Reactions: Fenn and Rose22

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only eat out of mealtimes if im in the red zone, like last night had a jam sandwich although I could barely find my mouth, seems mad eating when im not hungry, yes crazy spikes when I eat but every now and then, it is all perfect, im destined to failure.

Do you carb count Fenn, or are you taking fixed doses for each meal?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh thats pretty! Nice work.

A biscuit? Oh how I would love to eat a biscuit but biscuits blow my lid off, I assumed the jam sandwich was a mix of sugar for speed and carb for longer term, it clearly wasnt a great idea though lol

You have inspired me to try harder to stay in the green and I will have a go at figuring out that test, thankyou so much.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you carb count Fenn, or are you taking fixed doses for each meal?
Thankyou,

I kind of carb count but its more of, X meals needs about Y units, not very scientific, I just kind of know each meal, this is very ISH but I tend to eat very well, never really feel the urge to eat anything too naughty, I consider brand flakes cheating as it puts me in the twenties.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh thats pretty! Nice work.
Thanks, I've worked hard and achieved results like this before the Libre through just finger pricking, I'm a little more cautious and strict than most though, good control dealt me 2 different eye complications, the first less than a month after I was diagnosed so I don't take the risk of running high xx

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Im awaiting a heart bypass and im afraid they will refuse to do the op if my numbers are out of control :( but its mainly the silly hypos, I hate

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I've worked hard and achieved results like this before the Libre through just finger pricking, I'm a little more cautious and strict than most though, good control dealt me 2 different eye complications, the first less than a month after I was diagnosed so I don't take the risk of running high xx
You should be very proud, I know I would be.

Occasionally I have a few really good days, feel like ive cracked it, nope :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Fenn there are a few issues going on here ....... it would be really great if you could try doing some basal testing to find out if your humulin dose is the right dose for you ...........
also --- Diabetes loves routine ... so whenever i am trying to get my doses all sorted for myself i try to stick to plain simple meals where i know the exact carb count and the meals don't contain any potential hidden sugars in sauces

think grilled chicken breast , a few boiled potatoes and steamed broccoli and cauliflower for example ........

another thing that can potentially help is to look at timing of insulin ---- this would be something you might want to discuss with your care team !!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Im awaiting a heart bypass and im afraid they will refuse to do the op if my numbers are out of control :( but its mainly the silly hypos, I hate

As a T1, I loathe hypos more than anything else about the illness, but if you're using a libre you should be able to add a transmitter (miaomiao) so that it can send alarms to your phone if you go too low. (I have self fund a dexcom and have it set so that it warns me loudly whenever my bg reaches 4.4).

Are your diabetic clinic helping you to make insulin adjustments so as to improve your control?

Good luck.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree, the timing of the dose before the meal can help...my team advised me (and we are all different so best speak with your nurse) to try 15 mins before eating...to let it start to work a bit, and of over 50g carbs in the meal to split the dose, some before some near the end, that helped me lots!
Plus the other really tricky thing is not to over treat the hypo...soooo hard!, especially when your body’s crying feed me argh what’s going on help sugar more more! Heheh I agree the jam prob better get it up quickly then stop, re test and eat a plain buscuit/apple etc to slow release. Otherwise you yo-yo and that feels pretty rubbish too.
I feel like I’m getting better control then I start to see loads out of range numbers..it’s really difficult at times, seems to be an ever changing thing so don’t worry and keep doing all you can to get on top of it. If you keep hypo lots and can’t see obvs cause like been very active etc then basal may need adjusting done a smidge. Good luck, you can do this! Use the op as a motivator x

Reactions: himtoo and Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Fenn there are a few issues going on here ....... it would be really great if you could try doing some basal testing to find out if your humulin dose is the right dose for you ...........
also --- Diabetes loves routine ... so whenever i am trying to get my doses all sorted for myself i try to stick to plain simple meals where i know the exact carb count and the meals don't contain any potential hidden sugars in sauces

think grilled chicken breast , a few boiled potatoes and steamed broccoli and cauliflower for example ........

another thing that can potentially help is to look at timing of insulin ---- this would be something you might want to discuss with your care team !!
Thankyou,

Ths all sounds very good advice, I will try the testing and I know your right regarding bland routine, boooooo lol

Reactions: himtoo