University of Alberta - Diabetes Cure

Hotpepper20000

This is from my part of the world and very exciting for type 1 and type 2 who don't produce enough insulin.
However, those of us who are you 2 with insulin resistance it will be of little use as we have enough insulin in our system.

Reactions: Robbity

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting.
'More testing needs.....' etc. etc.
May I suggest they have a word with the covid vax makers, they seem to be able to miraculously circumvent test-time problems.

Reactions: Ctaylor1 and Ley666

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting.
'More testing needs.....' etc. etc.
May I suggest they have a word with the covid vax makers, they seem to be able to miraculously circumvent test-time problems.
Development and testing of the vaccine is costing companies billions of dollars which they hope to recoup with profit from vaccine sales. Medical procedures are very difficult to patent and capitalise on so there is no incentive for commercial investment.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do not think this research has the silver bullet. Researchers have been looking at using stem cells as a way of regenerating the islets in the pancreas, but there are major hurdles according to the reports I have read

For a start, stem cells are a bit like a new ROM memory. They are unprogrammed at birth and need to be programmed before they can function. Once programmed they cannot be reprogrammed or re-used. We all have quite a store of blank cells available, but they have to be harvested from the bone marrow in the spine which is where they live, They do not inhabit the blood except when in transit to replace a dead or damaged cell. The level of blanks in the blood is generally low.

Programming the blank cells is a challenge in its own right and not a simple USB boot function. This may be where these researchers have succeeded. And in mice only which is the next hurdle to claiming a cure.

Finally, for T1D there is the so far unanswered conundrum of overcoming the reason why their immune system is destroying beta cells in the first place and stopping that from continuing. After all. the original Beta cells were already native to the territory, and the teams claim that using the patient's own stem cells will do this has not yet been proven (except in mice?)

Lastly, I query the state of the mice used in their experiments. How was the diabetes state induced for the experiment? Were they bred diabetic, or by chemically suppressor induction?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just read the closing paragraphs of this report and looked at where the embedded link took me. They have got their begging bowl out and are trying to fund further research because their government does not seem to be coughing up the readies yet, Nothing wrong with that, but it seems that this research is not a breakthrough yet and it will be some time before they get to the magic silver money-tree. Have not found any study report apart from this press release.

The Alberta team is involved in islet cell transplant operations but for this new advance they have collaborated with ViaCyte to do the stem cell research, so it is that group that will probably publish any science research data.
https://viacyte.com/clinical-trials/
Their work with Edmonton is a secondary site so is not their prime research base. They are running clinical trials at several sites, and have two potential candidates. The Edmonton trial seems to be at the end of Stage 1 - animal testing. ViaCyte also seems to be in donations please mode at the moment