My Newcastle University Study extension

johnts

As ive finished the 8 weeks on the Newcastle University study Ive decided to extend it for another 8 weeks to get my BMI in line with what it should be but the last 8 weeks so far have proved fruitfull but not the cure (DEFINE WHAT IS TYPE 2 CURED) It has brought my BMI down from 28.8 to 25.8 and FBGs down from 13.4 mmol/l to an average of 5.6mmol/l and post meals a rise of approx +1 mmol/l or much less mostly 0.2 mmol/l and of course a weight loss of 1.5 stones. so be intresting to see what a further 8 weeks does . Im back up at work in Aberdeen for 15 days so cant weigh myself whilst up here but still using Optislim at around 600 cals and 60ish carbs per day All I can say is I feel fine and havent felt this good for years
Week Nine
Day 57 22/11 07:00 FBG 5.8 10:00+ 2hours BG 5.7 14:00 BG 6.7
Day 58 23/11 Missed my FBG had scrambled eggs and a croisant for brekkie 09:15 + 2hours BG 5.8
17:00 BG 5.9

johnts

Cheers Minn had a banana at lunch **** thing spiked my BG

Day 59 24/11 06:45 FBG 5.8 09:15 + 2 hours BG 5.3 14:00 + 2 hours BG 6.3

Grazer

johnts said:
(DEFINE WHAT IS TYPE 2 CURED

To me, it would be going back on a normal diet, 300 grams carbs a day for men, then after about 6 weeks on that passing a glucose tolerance test, then having an HbA1c lower than 5.5 after 3 months on that normal diet. Hope it works out!

johnts

Thanks Grazer yep it will be something like that It was about 3 weeks through on the optislim before I started to see good results having started with high readings so with that decided to extend the diet over the 8 weeks as the newcastle study stated the persons on the trial seen good results after 1 week so extending it to compensate for that first 3 weeks and to help lower my weight and BMI to normal maybe then with 16 weeks at it may just do the trick but only time will tell
Im doing a Hba1c test end of december should see a greater improvement from my last 2 which were 9.7

Grazer

I'm sure your HbA1c will be great, so all your efforts will be worth it, but without wishing to take the shine off, don't let that make you think you're "cured". Lots of people get to non-diabetic HbA1c levels on low carb diets, and the real test as i suggested above will be going on a normal (300 a day) carb diet long term and then passing the relevant tests. I'll be really interested in how that goes.

johnts

Too true Ill be starting a lo carb diet afterwards and start normal eating if I get the weight off and normal BMI and Bgs ill be more than happy

antmos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to be starting the Newcastle diet soon under my doctors supervision. I have been diagnosed as type 2 diabetic for 11 years and I am on short and long acting insulin. Please can I have some advice on the best way to tackle this diet. I am hoping for a nice weight loss and improved sugar levels.

Wish me luck!

johnts

Hi antmos, ive been using Optislim for my diet the shakes are made with water and taste really pleasant, I have a shake around 8 in the morning another at 12 then the last one around 5 tea time so that will give you around 612 calories and 66g of carbs per day. You can if you wish top it up with a cup full of non starchy veg I really never did top up just the optislim . Ive added the links for recipe on newcastle university site any questions Ill be more than willing to assist aswell as others will on here

recipe link http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/docu ... ecipes.pdf

other bumph reports etc check out the links at the bottom high lighted in blue
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press ... 2-diabetes

johnts

Ouch Black coffee no more caffine for me

Day 60 25/11 06:30 FBG 5.7 09:15 + 2 hours BG 6.1 14:00 +2 hours BG 7.7
Day 61 26/11 07.30 FBG 7.3 09:40 + 2 hours BG 7.6 14:00 = 2 hours BG 5.6
Day 62 27/11 05:30 FBG 7.5 08:00 + 2 hours BG 6.4

dventura

Hi,
Great figures. What was your fasting glucose before you went on the diet? Also, you say you lost 1.5 stone, great! did you lose much muscle mass? Any idea of how intensely you can exercise whilst on the diet - or does one feel weak?

Cheers

johnts

Hi my fasting was 13.4 mmol/l but got to normal levels after 3 weeks With optislim it is supposed to be a balanced diet to stop muscle wastage so no i dont seem to have any muscle loss or feel weaker
I ran my daily readings by Newcastle university this is the reply I got back this morning

Many thank for getting back to us. I congratulate you on the success of your
diet and reversal of your Diabetes. I shall pass this message on to Prof Taylor
on his return from annual leave.
As your have successfully reversed your diabetes with the diet, it is important
that you prevent weight gain in the future. The Vildagliptin study will is
recruiting patients with type 2 diabetes who have not been on the diet to
reverse type diabetes.

Once more, I congratulate you on achieving this great success.

Regards
Mavin

minn

What a nice response!- well done. To answer your question on my thread, I'm not on any meds for diabetes. Managing to stay in the late 5s early 6s and keeping the weight off- up and down a couple of pounds over the week, but my aim is maintenance til after Xmas. That next 2 stone will be a swine to shift, so it's a job for the NY.

johnts

Thats good Minn perseverance is the key Im going to come off my meds soon found out what was raising my BGs which I couldnt understand at the time and started taking metformin again Black coffee (caffine) had a few cups at the weekend and spiked my Bgs didnt think it would stopped drinking coffee and its coming down again

reidpj

Hi

Do you think that the BG rise is due to the coffee (caffeine) increasing cortisol levels (cortisol stimulates the liver to 'dump' glucose)?

johnts

I was trying to get a answer to why my Bgs were spiking done a search on google coffee /diabetese and was supprised to learn that caffine raises blood sugars so that answered my own question why i was spiking +2 never realised that coffee or tea come to that would have that effect

reidpj

I believe that black tea (black = no milk or black verus green? not sure), being a source of polyphenols and flavonoids, would lower cortisol levels, thereby, lowering BG.

Grazer

johnts said:
I was trying to get a answer to why my Bgs were spiking done a search on google coffee /diabetese and was supprised to learn that caffine raises blood sugars so that answered my own question why i was spiking +2 never realised that coffee or tea come to that would have that effect

Have you got a link to this research you found on google? I've never heard of this, and find it hard to see how it can raise BG levels. Milk of course has carbs, but black coffee?