training

fireant4

Hi

New to all this so all a bit of a haze at the moment.

After a bit of advise!

I'm 34 and before being told i had type one a week ago and being put on insulin i was very active through work (fire-fighter) and always in the gym etc..

I'm desperate to get back into my training, but i wanted to know if I'm able to use the supplements i used to take for training? ie protein shake, creatine, cod liver oil tablets. Forgot to ask my dietitian the other day.

Any info will be welcomed as like i say very new to all this

Ant

AMBrennan

Apart from the fact that I couldn't imagine working as a fire-fighter with T1 (unplanned exercise and all that), I think that you dietitian would have told you that it's preferable to get nutrients from diet, that there's no reason to take any of these supplements and that it's safe to take them.

You might want to watch the carbs though since, in my limited experience, sports nutrition products tend to be either very high in sugars, or very low in carbs with lots of polyols/sugar alcohols (which don't affect BG)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ant - welcome to the forum :)

bodybuilding and me couldn't be further apart :lol: - plus I am T2 so my knowledge of T1 is very limited - but there are some members who do body building and serious gym work so hopefully they will come along soon with some advice for you - in the meantime have a look at a website called runsweet.com - It's a site for athletes with diabetes so you may find it useful.

I admire your positivity at wanting to get back to things so soon after diagnosis - good on you! :clap: -just don't push yourself too hard at the moment

link for you
http://www.runsweet.com/

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Ant,

I'm not a body builder, but I do run a bit.

I take protein shakes all the time (after every run and sometimes as a breakfast replacement). There are lots of very low-carb versions available, I use this one:
http://www.phd-supplements.com/store/p/ ... aWhey.html
and it doesn't spike me at all.

I also dabbled with the creatine a bit. I don't think there are any scientific objections to it, but you will hear "you're a diabetic don't over stress your kidneys with this stuff" (because kidney failure is a significant complication of uncontrolled diabetes). Obviously you need to decide for yourself, but if you have healthy kidneys, then I don't think that there is much risk:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... l/873.html
You also need to declare that you are taking creatine if you have any kidney function tests (blood or urine), because excess creatine is one of the things they look for as a sign of a kidney damage.

For the same reason, some people (probably including NSH dieticians) will also suggest that you don't eat too much protein "because it causes kidney problems". There doesn't seem to be much scientific evidence of this, and lots of the Paleo crowd will claim that we evolved to eat a more protein heavy diet than we eat today. You also need to be slightly wary of eating too much protein tand it urning to glucose in your blood...

I'm very happy to trade off the "speculative' risk of eating too much protein in my diet against the known risk of eating too much carbohydrate.

Obviously do your own research. Your mileage may vary.

Stephen

simply_h

Hello Fireant4,

I am sorry to hear that you are Type 1. Chin up mate, keep smiling. 

I am type 2 myself, but a similar age to you.

I do a lot of exercise myself, 3 to 5 time per week, mainly weights and running, as I have found the more lean mass I put on the better my BS levels are and I can eat more of a normal diet ect.

Plus the effect of exercise that gives you the feel good factor ect.

As a Fireman I would assume that you are in a good state of health anyway, so for training, I don’t see why you should not use protein shake, cod liver oil tablets, I personally use Whey protein myself, just find a low carb one.

BUT I am not too sure about creatine, as it does place a little more stress on your kidneys ects, and not too sure about the benefits from it anyway..

I wish you the best of luck mate.

Cheers
Simply_h

bumbleharvey

Hi Ant

Sorry im no help in the body building department, although im sure your fine taking your vitiamins etc. Lots of diabetic do take supplements.

Just wanted to say good on you for wanting to get straight back into training, I think there are quite alot of diabetics out there that are too scared to exercise. Ive danced nearly all my life and although I don't have perfect control ive always been told how good it is for a diabetic to keep active & fit. Hopefully keeps those complications at bay to a degree. I think it also helps keep me sane!

Hope you find your answers :)

fireant4

bumbleharvey said:
Hi Ant

Sorry im no help in the body building department, although im sure your fine taking your vitiamins etc. Lots of diabetic do take supplements.

Just wanted to say good on you for wanting to get straight back into training, I think there are quite alot of diabetics out there that are too scared to exercise. Ive danced nearly all my life and although I don't have perfect control ive always been told how good it is for a diabetic to keep active & fit. Hopefully keeps those complications at bay to a degree. I think it also helps keep me sane!

Hope you find your answers :)

Hi Thanks for taking the time getting in touch.. means a lot that peeps are out there!

Don't think its that i'm scared i think it's more the point driving me mad sitting around.. on light duties at work so annoying not working either.. Would trying dancing but i'll save that for nights out..

Thanks again
Ant :D

fireant4

lovinglife said:
Hi Ant - welcome to the forum :)

bodybuilding and me couldn't be further apart :lol: - plus I am T2 so my knowledge of T1 is very limited - but there are some members who do body building and serious gym work so hopefully they will come along soon with some advice for you - in the meantime have a look at a website called runsweet.com - It's a site for athletes with diabetes so you may find it useful.

I admire your positivity at wanting to get back to things so soon after diagnosis - good on you! :clap: -just don't push yourself too hard at the moment

link for you
http://www.runsweet.com/

Thanks for getting in Touch and many thanks for the website you mentioned.. I'll have a look at it some point during this quiet time i'm having! diet is very balanced just always needed that little bit of a push, but cutting out the sweets might now help

Cheers again great to hear from you and others

Ant :)

fireant4

borofergie said:
Ant,

I'm not a body builder, but I do run a bit.

I take protein shakes all the time (after every run and sometimes as a breakfast replacement). There are lots of very low-carb versions available, I use this one:
http://www.phd-supplements.com/store/p/10/1/PharmaWhey.html
and it doesn't spike me at all.

I also dabbled with the creatine a bit. I don't think there are any scientific objections to it, but you will hear "you're a diabetic don't over stress your kidneys with this stuff" (because kidney failure is a significant complication of uncontrolled diabetes). Obviously you need to decide for yourself, but if you have healthy kidneys, then I don't think that there is much risk:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/873.html
You also need to declare that you are taking creatine if you have any kidney function tests (blood or urine), because excess creatine is one of the things they look for as a sign of a kidney damage.

For the same reason, some people (probably including NSH dieticians) will also suggest that you don't eat too much protein "because it causes kidney problems". There doesn't seem to be much scientific evidence of this, and lots of the Paleo crowd will claim that we evolved to eat a more protein heavy diet than we eat today. You also need to be slightly wary of eating too much protein tand it urning to glucose in your blood...

I'm very happy to trade off the "speculative' risk of eating too much protein in my diet against the known risk of eating too much carbohydrate.

Obviously do your own research. Your mileage may vary.

Stephen

Hey Stephen

Cheers for the advise i'll look into all of it.. used to use PHD so many look at going back to it and i tended to use My Protein stuff..

Thanks again for taking the time out to contact me

Ant

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
You should be fine bud. I train a lot and use low carb shakes. Watch out for some supps as they can reduce insulin sensitivity but shakes should be fine/cod liver oil :)

fireant4

Hi Again all

Thanks again for all your welcomes and comments..

Just got a welcome suprise from the doc.. stated I get all mendication and such like free!!! been spending a fortune on perscriptions so far! I mean just took five perscrips in. scary how much we all need (Insulin, needles, testing strips, sharps bin endless list)

Ant

Fallenstar

Hi Fireant
That must have been costing you a fortune, I cant understand why you had to pay for these at all??
Look into claiming it back now you have the medical exemption certificate, you could do this in the past.
Welcome to the forum, and don't worry at all about the training and excercise, you will be back at it in no time when you get your levels sorted out. I take cod liver oil and used to have the protein shakes after very long runs....you will just have to do lots of testing at first to see how your routine effects your control...more than just the normal before and after meals..once you have worked out what level to start at so you dont drop too quickly ,you can go from there.

Good luck with it all :D

fireant4

Fallenstar said:
Hi Fireant
That must have been costing you a fortune, I cant understand why you had to pay for these at all??
Look into claiming it back now you have the medical exemption certificate, you could do this in the past.
Welcome to the forum, and don't worry at all about the training and excercise, you will be back at it in no time when you get your levels sorted out. I take cod liver oil and used to have the protein shakes after very long runs....you will just have to do lots of testing at first to see how your routine effects your control...more than just the normal before and after meals..once you have worked out what level to start at so you dont drop too quickly ,you can go from there.

Good luck with it all :D

Hi

Thanks for that.. great bits of advise..

Spoke to Doc and he said same sort of things! going to get back in the gym this weekend and next week.. trained everyday so now having not trained for a week or so killing me..

Thanks again

CathytheChef

Hi Ant,

I'm a bodybuilder and I've had type 1 diabetes since I was 14 (I'm 28). I use lots of suppliments and haven't had a problem with any - creatine and protein are fine :) Adjusting your insulin during training takes a bit of practice but you will figure out what works for you. If you'd like to chat feel free to email me at [email address removed] - I'll forget to check back on the forum lol! I'm more than happy to help with any other questions if I can!

Cathy :)