Not sure if I was borderline hypo or not.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So been very busy and adamant to get my levels tightly locked. Yesterday I increased my basal to 17 units of lantus instead of 16 units. All yesterday bloods were at 4-6 pre meal and post meal 8-9. After 4 hours(post meal) my bloods went back to 5 ish. Woke up not long ago, checked my libre and levels were 4.3, gm machine also read 4.5. Don't feel like I've had a hypo but the graph kinda shows I was just at the high end of 3.

Didn't have anything to eat last night before bed and my lantus tends to drop my blood sugar levels overnight from 8 to 4-5.

I'm I doing it correctly? I feel today might be the first day in a while since adjusting my basal and bolus that I might actually see levels spike by 2 after meals and pre meals sit at 4-6.

Thanks for any advice =).
Screenshot_20201119-102620.jpg
Screenshot_20201119-102635.jpg

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You may have been under 4 or you may not. No one can turn back the clock to check with a finger prick.

As a non-doctor, to me, your graph looks as if your basal may be too high. I say this, not because of the possible hypo but because of the continuous downward trajectory of the graph through the night. The purpose of basal is to keep your blood sugars stable.

Have you done a basal test to check your basal needs? It may be useful to do this first before making any tweaks. YOu may find the highs you are trying to iron out could be avoided by taking your bolus earlier, for example.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You may have been under 4 or you may not. No one can turn back the clock to check with a finger prick.

As a non-doctor, to me, your graph looks as if your basal may be too high. I say this, not because of the possible hypo but because of the continuous downward trajectory of the graph through the night. The purpose of basal is to keep your blood sugars stable.

Have you done a basal test to check your basal needs? It may be useful to do this first before making any tweaks. YOu may find the highs you are trying to iron out could be avoided by taking your bolus earlier, for example.
Well I was considering moving my basal from 10pm to 6-8pm. My bloods always tend to fall before bed or during sleep regardless of basal dosage. When I was on 16 units I was seeing more unstable pre and post meal readings. Which ment I needed far more correction doses as after 3-4 hours my bloods wouldn't come down from 9 to 4-7. And if I did increase my bolus by 1 unit for each meal it would result in a hypo about 1-2 hours after eating. My ratios are 2:10 morning, 1:10 lunch and for dinner 1:10 +1 extra unit to counter the rise as my lantus wears off around 1-2 hours before 24 hours and it seems to work for me.

I've also missed lunch a few times to see what happens and my levels stay flat lined from 4-6 for 5 or so hours until I eat again.

But I can't decrease my basal because I'll end up going higher than 7-8 pre meals and 9- 11 ish post Meal. 17 units of lantus seems to keep my levels stable but my diabetic nurse mentioned that I'm getting switched over to a longer acting basal that lasts 36 hours and she mentioned it doesn't drop throughout the night like lantus.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you got half unit pens?
Sounds as if they could be useful for both basal and bolus when 1 unit make a significant difference.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But I can't decrease my basal because I'll end up going higher than 7-8 pre meals and 9- 11 ish post Meal. 17 units of lantus seems to keep my levels stable but my diabetic nurse mentioned that I'm getting switched over to a longer acting basal that lasts 36 hours and she mentioned it doesn't drop throughout the night like lantus.
Well its worth trying Tresiba to see if it works, but it possible you may want to try Levemir as you take that twice a day so you could have a lower amount overnight than during the day - just a thought.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well its worth trying Tresiba to see if it works, but it possible you may want to try Levemir as you take that twice a day so you could have a lower amount overnight than during the day - just a thought.
Think it's tresiba I'm going on not 100% sure. My friend made the switch last year and said It's given him far more control. This Friday I should be on it so fingers crossed =).

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got half unit pens?
Sounds as if they could be useful for both basal and bolus when 1 unit make a significant difference.
I sometimes do find it better when I have half a unit. Like rounding it up so if I had 60g of carbs I have 9 units but sometimes it doesn't work out. I found delaying my rapid right before I eat or after when I eat wholegrains seems better for me. I always end up in a hypo eating wholegrain carbs but delaying it even by 15 minutes instead of 15 minutes pre meal gives me better control. I do inject 15 minutes before eating If it's not wholegrain carbs.