Covid and smoking

Bluepoppy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello ,I’m interested to know readers / professional opinions ,on whether covid can be passed on by people smoking and exhaling near you,
My neighbour is a heavy smoker and I’m a type 1 with other underlying health conditions ,and as we share the same entrance ,I’m having to inhale their smoke,( I do wear a mask when out thanks

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello ,I’m interested to know readers / professional opinions ,on whether covid can be passed on by people smoking and exhaling near you,
My neighbour is a heavy smoker and I’m a type 1 with other underlying health conditions ,and as we share the same entrance ,I’m having to inhale their smoke,( I do wear a mask when out thanks

I've never heard that mentioned. I guess any blowing out of air from one's mouth isn't a good thing Covid wise, I presume your mask is on when you wade through this cloud of smoke? If so, and if it lasts for only a few seconds until you get to your door, I can't see it being an issue. Is your neighbour chatting to you for any length of time whilst he's having a cigarette, or do you just inhale his smoke when passing?

Bluepoppy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never heard that mentioned. I guess any blowing out of air from one's mouth isn't a good thing Covid wise, I presume your mask is on when you wade through this cloud of smoke? If so, and if it lasts for only a few seconds until you get to your door, I can't see it being an issue. Is your neighbour chatting to you for any length of time whilst he's having a cigarette, or do you just inhale his smoke when passing?

they sometimes have a cigarette in their hands ,if they knock on my door,which I don’t like and have mentioned ,but they don’t always listen ,so I am inhaling their smoke without a mask when I don’t know who’s at the door,
I used to be a smoker many years ago,but I was always aware of others feelings and never smoked outdoors,but some people just don’t care,I’m so glad I stopped !

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think the smoke may be an aid, as you know when you're inhaling his exhales. It's not good, but I don't see that it's any worse than inhaling his exhales if he wasn't smoking.

Good luck.

Reactions: KK123

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a professional opinion but my guess would be that his smoking doesn't increase the risk to you unless he is blowing smoke in your direction which is offensive covid or not. If you can see his exhaled smoke in the air then you would also be seeing the virus, if he had it, which is a reminder about distancing. I thought of this when I had a Hermes delivery and I noticed the driver's bad breath! Fingers crossed for a couple of weeks that he wasn't infectious.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a professional opinion but my guess would be that his smoking doesn't increase the risk to you unless he is blowing smoke in your direction which is offensive covid or not. If you can see his exhaled smoke in the air then you would also be seeing the virus, if he had it, which is a reminder about distancing. I thought of this when I had a Hermes delivery and I noticed the driver's bad breath! Fingers crossed for a couple of weeks that he wasn't infectious.

Blimey, how close did he get??? Ours are 2 miles up the road before you even get to the door!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, how close did he get??? Ours are 2 miles up the road before you even get to the door!
About a metre. He was actually collecting a return parcel which I left on my doorstep but the scan of the label didn't work and while discussing it we forget about the distancing. It might have helped if either or both of us had worn a mask. Normally, as you say, a wave as they drive away is a close as they get.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi, this also crossed my mind when watching someone vaping the other day in a huge billowing cloud. The majority of that exhaust has been in their lungs? So when I'm walking through the fumes I probably haven't got a mask on cos I'm outside, I must be breathing in their lung contents?
And also smoke inhaled in, then gets propelled out, so it's probably travelling further than a normal exhale.