BBC - 'Diabetes burnout': The mental-health impact of diagnosis

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I saw it, and thought it was good. Shame it didn't also highlight the fact that some people don't wake up with severe overnight hypo's, and they can be life threatening or cause brain damage for some people.

Reactions: TypeZero.
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I would of liked to have seen this, but unfortunately I didn't. Thanks for posting @O_DP_T1

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Yes I saw it, and thought it was good. Shame it didn't also highlight the fact that some people don't wake up with severe overnight hypo's, and they can be life threatening or cause brain damage for some people.
I get up in the middle of the night every night I set an alarm to check my blood sugar as I am scared of this!!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you get a cgm or a libre sensor which you could turn into a cgm with a miaomiao or bubble etc,so that you can set alarms to wake you if your blood sugar is going to go too low? It gives you peace of mind, and you wouldn't have to set your alarm to check your blood sugar every night. I appreciate that if you can't get them funded for you, it's not always possible to fund them yourself, but maybe you use a libre sensor occasionally to see the trend of your blood sugar overnight.

TypeZero.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-54145335

Did anyone see this on the news last night. I did and thought it was a very accurate picture of what we have to go through emotionally and physically.

Yeah my diabetes is sort of making me emotional every now and then. Lately been crying every few days, just thinking about the sheer responsibility I always have and constant battle against my liver erratic decisions to release glucose. I’ve gained 10kg in the last 7 months that I’ve been diagnosed.

I don’t think I’d ever stop injecting but diabetes is taking a big emotional toll on me and don’t think it’s ever going to leave me. Was crying the first week of being diagnosed and then I was fine for months until the last few weeks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm in New Zealand and had my annual hospital clinic visit yesterday. My DN did all the usual (download readings, check feet, bp, insulin sites etc ) and then asked me if we needed to do the survey for "diabetes distress". As I'd just been talking to her about how great my self funded dexom was, I told her no, (though I added that if I kept getting lantus lows my attitude might change). But it's obviously become a standard welfare check here now.

Reactions: JMoli

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
There is so much to this, from BG stability to other hormonal imbalances, other life influences, personal mindset and attitude, diabetes burnout is very complex, it needs more focus so this article is great for drawing attention to it - I myself can coast along fine then hit a wall and I count myself lucky that at least I am older and wiser so know what I need to do to stay in control and what’s at stake if I don’t, but when I have needed help the most it wasn’t there so hope this helps drives the agenda for more support.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a wider problem and is suffered by many people with long term chronic conditions. I am aware of at least one lady using home dialysis who is suffering burnout and depression. Having said that it is good to get it recognised in at least one condition.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Stefp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great to see the mental and emotional toll of type 1 being recognised - I am sure we can all relate!

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I saw it by chance and thought it was a good piece to raise awareness of the challenges of T1 and encouraging to tie mental and physical health treatment together.

Here's a link to the broadcast story for anyone who missed it:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I saw it by chance and thought it was a good piece to raise awareness of the challenges of T1 and encouraging to tie mental and physical health treatment together.

Here's a link to the broadcast story for anyone who missed it:

Thank you, I will watch it later when I return home from work.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Great to see the mental and emotional toll of type 1 being recognised - I am sure we can all relate!

When I was diagnosed there was a lot of personal upheaval going on, in my life, so I just had to get on with my diagnosis, but it's been over the past few years that I have been finding it difficult.

Stefp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes Robinredbreast - it would be great if it got easier over time but it doesn’t really does it? Just when you think you have something worked out your body changes the rules without warning and it is a struggle all over again, no matter how long you have type 1. I think realising our own mortality can make it harder in some ways as we get older too.