Been switched from Lantus to Tresiba. Need help.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey beautiful people. So my diabetic team recommended me to switch from Lantus to Tresiba since my Lantus wasn't working the full 24 hours.

Received the Tresiba insulin today but still confused. My diabetic team didn't explain how many units I need to inject.

I normally inject 17 units of lantus and not sure if I need to inject the same amount of units or more or less.

If anyone has any feedback on what to do or has been in a similar situation I'd appericate it.

I told my gp that I was unsure on what to do and she said she will get in contact with the diabetic team at the hospital for feed back. So I might wait until next week or try it out tonight.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. Happy day everyone =).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally inject 17 units of lantus and not sure if I need to inject the same amount of units or more or less.
As a rule you'll need the same amount of Tresiba as you did on Lantus.

What I did when I switched was take a little less just to be on the safe side to see what would happen, but I went back to my old dose pretty quick.
Be aware that with Tresiba it may take 2 or 3 days to see the effect of a changed dose, so be patient when adjusting!

I hope you like the Tresiba as much as I do, I'm so happy I'm not on Lantus anymore!

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a rule you'll need the same amount of Tresiba as you did on Lantus.

What I did when I switched was take a little less just to be on the safe side to see what would happen, but I went back to my old dose pretty quick.
Be aware that with Tresiba it may take 2 or 3 days to see the effect of a changed dose, so be patient when adjusting!

I hope you like the Tresiba as much as I do, I'm so happy I'm not on Lantus anymore!
Yes =). Thank you. My lantus would wear off before I was due the next dose and would always rise before bed to 10-11 and drop in the night as I sleep to as low as 4. Heard Tresiba keeps it flat line and even though it lasts 36 hours is it still one injection per day at the same time?

I'm excited though. Hopefully gives me better control as my target range is 90% this month and the 10% is shared with 7% above 10 and 3% hypo.

Thanks for the advice =)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Heard Tresiba keeps it flat line and even though it lasts 36 hours is it still one injection per day at the same time?
Yup. That's the way it works for me, and much more stable than the Lantus.
With 90% within target it looks like you're doing a brilliant job already! With the Tresiba you might find you can nibble a fair bit off the 7% above target :)

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup. That's the way it works for me, and much more stable than the Lantus.
With 90% within target it looks like you're doing a brilliant job already! With the Tresiba you might find you can nibble a fair bit off the 7% above target :)
Thank you =). Gonna try it out on Monday. Traveling tomorrow so want to be at home when I make the switch to be safe.

They gave me a novapen 5 to use with the Tresiba but have me prefilled pens so my gp said to use the disposable pens first then so can use the cartridges later.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They gave me a novapen 5 to use with the Tresiba
The Novopen 5 is brilliant! It has a little display on top where you can see when and how much you last injected, no more guessing if you took your insulin already or not :D

I use it for my mealtime insulin :)

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Novopen 5 is brilliant! It has a little display on top where you can see when and how much you last injected, no more guessing if you took your insulin already or not :D

I use it for my mealtime insulin :)
Noticed that haha. Was like nah.. my all-star pro pen looks better then noticed the digital dial thing on the base of the dial and was like "yup.. this is now my favourite pen" =).

Reactions: Antje77

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Yes =). Thank you. My lantus would wear off before I was due the next dose and would always rise before bed to 10-11 and drop in the night as I sleep to as low as 4. Heard Tresiba keeps it flat line and even though it lasts 36 hours is it still one injection per day at the same time?

I'm excited though. Hopefully gives me better control as my target range is 90% this month and the 10% is shared with 7% above 10 and 3% hypo.

Thanks for the advice =)
At the advice of my endo I switched from twice daily Levemir to once daily Tresiba as my basal insulin. But the prescribing GP did not provide any guidance as to how to transition... I also used slightly lower Tresiba doses to start with, but stopped all Levemir immediately - in hindsight a mistake - got hit with very high BGs, borderline DKA symptoms for several days - I guess due to Tresiba levels still stabilising after all Levemir used up? Now using Tresiba for a once a day am shot at 80% of previous Levemir dose - but obviously you need to calibrate this for you. Give it a few weeks to decide whether this works for you.