Daily Express Cure Diabetes on 500 cals a day WHAT!!!?

alliebee

In the express today it is reported that we can 'Cure our type two Diabetes' by cutting down to just 500 cals a day!

Are they having a laugh? If so as I am not finding this funny.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I read that article from start to finsh. Absolute pile of horse ****. Not a single fact in there. It was front page news, too!

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
They have no right to raise false hope to follow this diet is nothing short of fool hardy. Where do these journalists get off?

alliebee

I spoke to my dn today and she says they have taken over 50 calls today from worried people and she says its positively dangerous to print this rubbish.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I wonder if they were told about this cure by the ghost of Princess Di.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
500 calories is:

2x20g packets of Pork Scratchings, and;
2x25g Pepperami's

I could do that.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I guess if you starve yourself to death that does cure diabetes / sorry if that seems in poor taste but ultimately that I'd what such a diet would do. How many would try this in hope and not question it's feasibility?

HpprKM

Dislikes
Patch - as ever very droll :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Pork scratchings and pepperami are both very low carb! :thumbup: :wink: :lol:

Viv 8)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
viviennem said:
Pork scratchings and pepperami are both very low carb! :thumbup: :wink: :lol:

Viv 8)

Pepperami is low carb? You can keep the scratchings but Pepperami..drooool..****, I love this forum!! :thumbup: :clap:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Grazer said:
Awesome word. I'll be using that.

P.S - I was dead serious in my original post. I often have pork scratching in place of a meal. I often CRAVE them.

They keep me full for absolutely ages!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need high cal low carb I wouldnt even cast a shadow on 500 cals a day :?
CAROL

Ian in Cheltenham

I think I'll reserve judgement on this until I seen the paper which was presented to the conference. A google search indicates that it's

Hammer S, Jonker J, Snel M, et al. Sustained improvements in left ventricular diastolic function induced by weight loss are associated with a decrease in pericardial fat content in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) 2011 Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting; November 28, 2011; Chicago, IL. Abstract SSE04-06. .

Googling the name of the primary author produces a little more information and not in Daily Express speak. 500 calories is 'only' 100 calories less that the 'Newcastle diet' which others are following on this site, albeit for just 8 weeks.

Ian

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Those words of 'wisdom' from the DE are nowt but a load of testiculations from 'people' who should and DO know better .. its not worth the paper it was printed upon.. :lol:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry no pork scratchings :lol:

The diet contained a total of ~450 kcal/day divided over 3 sachets of liquid food providing all necessary vitamins and micronutrients (Modifast®).
Sounds familiar :wink:
Here is a fuller account
http://www.theheart.org/article/1320297.do

The study took place in the Netherlands and the university has partial open acccess to a doctoral thesis by M Snel who co-authored the paper.
https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/handle/1887/17801

Reading the summary (ch 9) just shows how much spin was put on this for the press.

There were 2 groups, VLCD and VLCD + exercise.
They were returned to normal care after the 16 week diet.
The diet reduced weight, waist size, but weight was regained in both groups..
The diet reduced fat around the heart, this improvement was sustained at 18 months.
It reduced blood pressure and improved lipid. Blood pressure went back to baseline levels by 18 months, some lipid improvements were sustained. (better in exercise group )
It reduced glucose levels and HbA1c .
BUT
18 months after the start of the intervention both fasting plasma glucose and HbA1c levels had returned to baseline values.
At 18m, Several of the diet alone group returned to taking insulin(don't know how many were on it in the first place). None of the diet/exercise group had returned to insulin and they had better insulin sensitivity ... they had also continued to do some exercise.(3hr+ a week)

We also observed that it is difficult to maintain weight reduction after cessation of the VLCD.It seemed that the addition of exercise to the VLCD had long-term beneficial effects on glycemic control and QoL but not on weight loss

So the good news VLCD diet might improve cardiac risk (at least for 18 months ) Exercise improves insulin sensitivity (but we knew that didn't we)
The bad news: VLCD didn't 'cure T2. Weight lost on a crash diet is regained. (no surprise there either)

rewritten as summary (wrote it first time as I was reading)

alliebee

i agree ...

snackery, it is a word with punch and meaning lol...

maybe low carb but i have 2 stones to lose... sadly and if i started on pork scratchings would be hard to stop

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Go on - give in! :twisted:

pork-scratchings-287-p.jpg

You know you want to...