My fantastic son

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi all

just wanted to share how proud i am of my 9 yr old son i think he is amazing, he never lets anything get him down and diabetes does not stop him from doing what he wants to do. for example last night he went to taekwondo and the instructor commented how well he is doing and how hard he is trying, then tonight we have gone to swimming lessons were he has moved from stage 6 to stage 7 he is swimming lengths doing tumble turns and did a fantastic butterfly, i am absolutely beaming and had to share :D :D

he also does football and altho not the most natural football star he tries his best and is constantly practicing his skills to improve on top of the 3 football training sessions a week plus any matches he plays in. i just cant believe i have raised such a fantastic boy now he isnt perfect but hes mine and i love him to bits

thanks for listening :D :D

anna marie

Tracey69

Hi
Congratulations to your son, with all his activities his control must be excellent.
I am interested in helping the under 18's with their diabetes and i am also interested in how they are taught how to inject now all pens are prefilled as when i became diabetic 36yrs ago at the age of 6yrs, i was taught with a mental syringe, a needle and an orange.
I was wondering is your son on a pump or not.
It's nice to hear a nice story as i have found some quite sad.
Take care.
Tracey

leggott

That's great news! You should give yourself a pat on the back too, those mum taxis taking the kids everywhere don't drive themselves!

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
lol thanks guys its not easy being a mum hey, tracey hes been on a pump since feb but he did inject before that since the age of 4, we didnt learn on an orange dylan was given a teddy and we practised on that instead but soon picked it up altho i cried alot in the begining lol.
he doesnt have perfect control but we r getting there thats for sure he needs so little insulin any small change makes a huge difference to him. hes starting running club at school this week so thats another thing to add to the list :D

anna marie

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Loved reading your great story about your son. It takes a lot of organisation to juggle all those activities with blood sugar levels. I must say I never say no to anything on the grounds of diabetes.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
no i dont either if he wants to try something we try our best to do it altho having the pump makes these things easier :D

WhitbyJet

ams162 - no wonder you are so proud of your son, you have very reason to be. What a great team you are, WELL DONE BOTH OF YOU, you make me feel so humble.

All the best to you and Dylan x
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanks whitbyjet we try our best, but its him that does the majority of the work and doesnt let life get him down he is my world and my reason for living :D :D

Tracey69

HI Ams
Thanks for your reply i really appreciated your info, it's just i have a good friend whose niece has had diabetes type1 since 18 months and she is now nearly 16 and still can't inject herself. I have a feeling the mother holds her back, but i am trying to help my friend and her family with the situation.
She is rebelling at present but then so did i at this ageLOL, not that i recommend this for any one, as i know have some complications.
Hope we can keep in touch and well done to you for doing all the running about, at least your son is sitting on his computer all the time like some do.
Wish you both well.
Take care
Tracey

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
dont get me wrong he loves his playstation but i think its balanced out with all the sport, he does need some down time :D :D

has ur friends child tried a pen mate it helped dylan with his fear of putting the needle in, its a spring loaded device that fits over some makes of insulin pen, u pull it back put it next to the skin then push the button and it springs in now it does make a clunk noise which put dylan off to start with but i used it instead of him then when he got used to it he took over himself with no problem at all. im not sure he would of learned without it so maybe worth a try if she hasnt tried it before :D

anna marie

passiles

Congratulations to your son, please tell him not to let diabetes prevent him from doing as much as he can and not to worry. I have now had type 1 diabetes form 50 years (since I was 4) and still good. Just make sure his friends know what to do if he gets a bit "flaky".

Regards Les

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
his friends are fab they all know what to look for and have been known to spot a low before the teacher so we are very lucky :)

we will continue to not let diabetes stop him from doing what he would like to i dont see it as a reason to prevent him trying something new just takes abit more planning thats all :D :D