Anxiety

mjd46

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon all.

I don't generally post much on here but do look around often. However, recently I've found myself suffering from strong physical symptoms of anxiety and I think health worries trigger it.

I've been diabetic since I was 18, its probably not the best managed ever with quite regular highs and lows and I guess that I'm worrying it's taking its toll on my body. I've found myself paranoid I'm going to have a massive heart attack or something and I'm only 26!

Does anyone else get anxiety like this? How do you manage it?

My doctors prescribed me drugs that help with the physical symptoms as it was starting to really affect my life at work and home.

Thanks,
Craig
Thanks Mike D;that helps a lot but not the situation.
Craig I suffer from anxiety and i think it does push sugar up , Try and go for a walk or if you can meditate class would be ideal but I do feel for you Anxiety stinks

mjd46

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon all.

I don't generally post much on here but do look around often. However, recently I've found myself suffering from strong physical symptoms of anxiety and I think health worries trigger it.

I've been diabetic since I was 18, its probably not the best managed ever with quite regular highs and lows and I guess that I'm worrying it's taking its toll on my body. I've found myself paranoid I'm going to have a massive heart attack or something and I'm only 26!

Does anyone else get anxiety like this? How do you manage it?

My doctors prescribed me drugs that help with the physical symptoms as it was starting to really affect my life at work and home.

Thanks,
Craig[/QUOTs

bmtest

I think anxiety with diabetes is quite a common occurance and for me I rightly or wrongly blame it on the actual insulin and especially if you are going high and low i have not checked recenly with onset of internet but am sure low blood sugars make it worse.and remember reading this.

Some days you can enter the fear of fear for no apparent reason and you have to find your own method of dealing with this or avoid it happening if possible in 1st place it's a bit like entering a programming loop it's endless unless you put in an do while statement.

Its too long ago now but I am sure animal extracted insuling did not cause anxiety.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Solomon7711

@Kerr12071992 . Welcome to the forum..
There are some great and very experienced type 1 diabetics hanging around this forum who will have been exactly where you are now.
Diabetes , especially T1 is so much more than BS numbers, insulin ratios, carb intake etc.
The daily 24/7 demands have the ability to reach deep into our souls.
It would appear that diabetes has found a way to take control of your life. It does this using negativity as one of its greatest weapons. You need to find positivity in your life, regain control of your life how you want it.
You can try fighting diabetes but in my experience you never win, it will always be there the next morning.
My approach is to embrace diabetes, use it to make me stronger and more focused. Make diabetes the reason you achieve.
I think if you can probably address the mental and emotional side of your diabetes the rest will become much easier.
None of us are perfect. Highs and lows are all part of the game. Start with small steps and changes to finding positivity and happiness in your life.
Join in with us on the Type 1 sub forum. It would be great to see you posting there.
Good day i meed to get down to a problem im getting im type 1 for 36 years on insulin about a month ago was diagnosed with ckd been coping with vegan strict diet and strict control ive been jumping up at nights sometimes at 7-8pm and instantly have to go outside and walk sometimes until 7am and when i try to rest i have to go back outside its the only thing that calms me till next day cannot rest and need answers is there anybody who goes through similar circumstances and can advise me on remedies?????

Solomon7711

Hi Craig,

I’m not sure if any of this will help but I feel that I might be able to relate to your post. I have been on anxiety meds this year and have recently come back off them. When I have panic attacks I usually feel very sick, get stomach cramps and sometimes throw up. It often takes me a few minutes (or sometimes longer) to figure out that it is due to anxiety/ panic. I usually wrack my brains for everything I have eaten and people I have been around thinking that I have food poisoning or have caught a bug! I honestly couldn’t understand why I could be panicking when I didn’t think I felt anxious or worried about anything! Sometimes this happens for me in the middle of the night when I have been asleep as well so really struggle to make sense of that! I have been having some counselling which I found really helpful and I do think that I worry about my health particularly (alongside things from my past that I probably hadn’t dealt with) but that a lot of my subconscious worry comes from continually ‘assessing’ myself for how I feel to ‘measure’ my blood. I have found that having a cgms has helped take some of that away by having something else ‘watching’ my bloods for me (even though it makes my bank balance cry!) and talking to other people who experience anxiety has helped me appreciate that I’m not alone with these symptoms that can seem to come from nowhere.
Its good that you are checking to rule out other things but maybe talking to someone might also help?
Hope this made sense and I’m not just rambling away! Hope you find something that helps and reduces your symptoms.

Mia

sl0042

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much for all your helpful comments; I am glad it is not just me ; I will try & learn to live with it & hopefully my wife can understand the condition more