"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll catch up later today. Currently, I've been taken up with my one surviving brother being admitted to hospital. He lost all power in his legs on Wednesday night and couldn't move. After a night of extensive tests, they discovered a couple of brain leisons and a bleed. He's in a general ward now but, with Covid, no visitors are permitted and, trying to find out what's going on via telephone is nigh on impossible. He had a fall a couple of weeks back and banged his head but goodness know if that had any bearing.
Main thing is he's getting some power back now, he's talking, eating and drinking plus he's asked for his mobile and Suduko to be dropped off.
No idea what treatment will be but since they've done nothing so far, it's looking like a wait & see.
So so sorry about your brother hope things go well never good to be in hospital but much more difficult currently hugs heading your way. Pleased he’s improving

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the good wishes over #digestivesytemgate includng @PenguinMum who has her own issues. Mine has been queasy but no action as it were. Julie seems to suffer anything like that badly as her diverticulitis already has its own interesting effects and needs no help thank you.. In some ways LC helps me there as it makes transit more like rocking horse manure than nice and regular. It has made me drink water not tea or coffee and shed a kilo which I don't think I need but strokes my ego. My bg has stood up well to this but other markers tell a tale. How and when I reintegrate my preferred high fibre mucho salad regime will be tricky. Those rolls would have been a bridge back. Thanks also for the sympathy over #mouldgate @maglil55 @Mrs T 123 @SlimLizzy @zauberflote and those I have missed. I contacted SLC twice yesterday - no reply yet. I am obviously a very patient, mild mannered chappy ((off the sports field) ) but I tend to form opinions sharpish. Impressed I am not. The skinnybread geezers seem to run a better business. Good job I only ordered 1 pack to try but it was the taste and texture that concerned me not the delivery.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a lot of sleep today because I have had to take several (half) doses of Co-codamol. I have the worst toothache I have ever had. I am used to pain and so only take Co-codamol when I can barely move, and never a full dose. This time I have been swithering - should I take 2 tablets? Or make do with just one? So far, just one. It takes the edge off the pain, but it does make me sleep a lot.

I think the problem is that I broke a tooth earlier in the week but just left it and thought it would be OK (dentists will only deal with emergencies at present) because it wasn't painful. Yesterday it started niggling and I tried to get an appointment, but will have to phone on Monday for an on-the-day appointment. Today, it has become something of an emergency, but the practice is closed.

I could phone NHS 24 and might be able to get a real emergency appointment, but I'm not bleeding, so I doubt it is sufficiently urgent to call a dentist in to open the surgery.

No food at all today.

Younger son has taken the big container of stewed beef but says there's nothing wrong with it so he might doctor it up and have a family meal from it and forget about the dogs. He also took a big, red velvet cake which I made for the event I couldn't take it to right at the beginning of the lockdown. So now I have a box of cupcakes in the big freezer! Yay!! Also noticed a pile of cartons labelled with some kind of beef label.

Edit: The pain is no longer around the tooth itself but has spread from the bottom jaw to include the upper jaw and cheekbone. Also have an ulcer on the underside of my tongue. Never had an ulcer there before.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would you be able to get oil of cloves anywhere @Annb?That's my goto if I can't get an urgent appointment. My other one is Corsidol toothpaste and mouthwash. It's agony brushing the gums but the toothpaste plus the mouthwash has a nice numbing effect.
I'm glad to say my brother has been released from hospital. They are still none the wiser but they have at least decreed it's not cancer. Some of you will recall 2018 when I lost all these relatives. After one brother died this brother was diagnosed with lung cancer and underwent surgery. He was on the mend then sister died. I was getting visions of this year coming to kick me a bit more but, thankfully, cancer is now ruled out. It does seem it's going to be wait and see.
I hope everyone else is recovering too.

Reactions: zauberflote

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy day today (unpaid) cleaning, washing, food shopping and checking in on/visiting my mum to make sure everything ok.

@ianpspurs I have had a mouldgate day myself today - took rolls out of fridge and noticed there was mould sitting on the top (yuck) - only got them on Tuesday and they have been in fridge since then so they should have been be ok. Unless of course I have received Friday's leftovers rather than Monday's freshly baked ones. I have e-mailed them and will let you know how I get on but I imagine they won't be there over the weekend so probably next week before they get back to me.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy day today (unpaid) cleaning, washing, food shopping and checking in on/visiting my mum to make sure everything ok.

@ianpspurs I have had a mouldgate day myself today - took rolls out of fridge and noticed there was mould sitting on the top (yuck) - only got them on Tuesday and they have been in fridge since then so they should have been be ok. Unless of course I have received Friday's leftovers rather than Monday's freshly baked ones. I have e-mailed them and will let you know how I get on but I imagine they won't be there over the weekend so probably next week before they get back to me.
I’m making my own lc bread at the moment and as all ingredients fresh no preservatives I find they only stay fresh for a day even kept in fridge. I slice and divide into packs of two slices that I freeze until needed. Made mistake in beginning of leaving first few slices in breadbin for just over a day when spotted mould growing! It’s a balancing act when no preservatives but maybe the SLC bread dosent have many either despite the palm oil! As I use butter and egg in my hm loaf I’m now very cautious hate having to waste anything especially expensive lc stuff!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a lot of sleep today because I have had to take several (half) doses of Co-codamol. I have the worst toothache I have ever had. I am used to pain and so only take Co-codamol when I can barely move, and never a full dose. This time I have been swithering - should I take 2 tablets? Or make do with just one? So far, just one. It takes the edge off the pain, but it does make me sleep a lot.

I think the problem is that I broke a tooth earlier in the week but just left it and thought it would be OK (dentists will only deal with emergencies at present) because it wasn't painful. Yesterday it started niggling and I tried to get an appointment, but will have to phone on Monday for an on-the-day appointment. Today, it has become something of an emergency, but the practice is closed.

I could phone NHS 24 and might be able to get a real emergency appointment, but I'm not bleeding, so I doubt it is sufficiently urgent to call a dentist in to open the surgery.

No food at all today.

Younger son has taken the big container of stewed beef but says there's nothing wrong with it so he might doctor it up and have a family meal from it and forget about the dogs. He also took a big, red velvet cake which I made for the event I couldn't take it to right at the beginning of the lockdown. So now I have a box of cupcakes in the big freezer! Yay!! Also noticed a pile of cartons labelled with some kind of beef label.

Edit: The pain is no longer around the tooth itself but has spread from the bottom jaw to include the upper jaw and cheekbone. Also have an ulcer on the underside of my tongue. Never had an ulcer there before.
Hugs for your mouth probs ulcers are so painful take care and hope you get some help from dentist soon

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Would you be able to get oil of cloves anywhere @Annb?That's my goto if I can't get an urgent appointment. My other one is Corsidol toothpaste and mouthwash. It's agony brushing the gums but the toothpaste plus the mouthwash has a nice numbing effect.
I'm glad to say my brother has been released from hospital. They are still none the wiser but they have at least decreed it's not cancer. Some of you will recall 2018 when I lost all these relatives. After one brother died this brother was diagnosed with lung cancer and underwent surgery. He was on the mend then sister died. I was getting visions of this year coming to kick me a bit more but, thankfully, cancer is now ruled out. It does seem it's going to be wait and see.
I hope everyone else is recovering too.

Thanks for the suggestions @maglil55. No shops open now, until Monday but I'll try to get some oil of cloves then, even if I can get an appointment - just to have it in hand. Probably also get some Corsidol toothpaste - my Oral B is running out.

Glad to hear that the news about your brother is better, even if not the end of the story. Keeping you and your family in mind to add to my prayer list.

Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.

@Annb or any product they may still sell that used to be for numbing baby's gums when it's teething. We have Orajel, there used to be Anbesol and Numbzit as well. I think it's lidocaine. Have never tried it.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 so glad they have ruled out cancer. Yes, we don't want 2018 again, not any part of it.
I seem to have spent all day doing dishes and baking a dessert for family tomorrow. I think I'd better take a walk. MrZF off 100 miles away doing yard work and more clearing out of belongings that he hasn't missed in 13 years, at the house we are FINALLY about to put on the market. We will lose a substantial amount as we bought it in summer 2007, just before things went kablooey. It has taken since then for the market in that little city to rebound, but we'll still have lost big time. I can't wait to see how he handles his ancestral baby grand. An old and dear friend of his (who set us up in 1977....) recommended he sell it and buy a nice keyboard. Well... I bought him the nice keyboard two or three Christmasses ago. Does he play it? Nope. Well, little Scootie may like playing with the piano I hope.

Reactions: Annb and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting about #mouldgate @Mrs T 123. Makes one wonder if there was a rogue batch. Coupled with @shelley262 's h/m bread's shelf life and my reservations around ingredients skinnybread seems to be my lc bread. We almost made the Holy Grail of lc bread from just flaxseed and water work years ago - almost. The crust was fantastic but try as we may the middle remained soggy. The youtube video and internet reported that about 50% of people had the same experience. I know there are excellent cooks here which makes my journey painful. I am where I am with this because of failures which upset Julie. She is a good cook and tries endlessly to make things I have found in books, from the web or seen on here. Almost none of them work for me and she is crestfallen. Two floor to ceiling cupboards of ingredients went in a skip in the move. A slew of expensive LC/keto cookbooks will probably go in a skip soon. I'm left with the idea that I mostly eat totally non "adapted" food or go off piste, use what I have learned about pre and post prandial methods of reducing impact and live with the consequences - hence the Libre. Long post, I think the gist is I know my diet is very limited and it concerns me. I detest the impact on Julie of all the experiments and the utter waste of time and money from trying to adapt foods I'm never unlikely to be going near DD again. I find it cheaper and less stressful to buy a few things than make them plus stay close to mainly raw/cold food.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 Good to hear your brother is home and no cancer. Hope he progresses well. @ianpspurs good that you are all getting back to normal and no Covid in the mix. @Annb hugs for the toothache, one of the worst pains, and why does it have to happen over a weekend and an ulcer also in the mix. I hope you get an appointment at the dentist tomorrow morning and in the meantime any comfort you can have. My mother would grind up a whole clove and add a dash of whisky and massage around the tooth.
@SlimLizzy I also love the name of your cat and I have to say Errant certainly landed on his furry feet the day he came to your door. @MrsA2 I laughed out loud about Hairy Mary..so welcome to have something to laugh about. @Mrs T 123 I identified with your Christmas musings..I am not going into any shops so presents to family have been either ordered online, puppy cash to youngest son, and hampers inc h/m chutney, christmas cake, a couple of nice bottles and chocolates etc already given to two sons, and last one will be driven to friend’s doorstep in Kent before 25/12. I am undecided about sending cards and will probably only send to my nearest and dearest and not acquaintances I havent seen all year.
I have been musing over whether we are the outliers among most of our friends about not mixing households. I managed to get Covid on my second visit to a supermarket in 8 months and managed to isolate in our house away from OH but I so want to protect Mr PM from getting it with his various conditions. Our boys led the way on this way back at the start but it is getting harder not sharing space with them and what I wouldnt give for a hug. Christmas Day will be just us two and we won’t be missing them any more or anyless than any other day since this started. Both boys will be busy, youngest with partner, new puppy and kitten and the first one in their first home. Eldest in Dublin has thankfully moved into a nice house with two friends and they are all foodies so will be busy in the kitchen. He absolutely loves Christmas so grateful he can share it. Feel better for getting that out there, what do you all plan for the big day?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your good wishes. When everyone else is suffering so much, I feel an awful fraud. It is only toothache - very painful but nothing really serious. I have discovered that half a dose of Co-codamol every 2 or 3 hours keeps pretty well on top of it - I would prefer not to take it, but it makes sense to stay relatively comfortable until tomorrow - I'm no kind of hero. I will have breakfast/brunch soon. Probably scrambled egg - something nice and soft anyway.

I have some defrosted lamb mince to do something with later on - koftas? Meatzza?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
With Em's help. I bought Christmas presents online for the children and everyone else will just get money this year. Not imaginative, but I don't seem to be sufficiently in touch these days to know what people want or need. The idea is that they can buy something they want, but more often than not, I'm sure that younger son's money just disappears into the general fund.

Every year, I put together a "lucky dip" box and the family uses it as a game for after Christmas lunch. Even the adults seem to enjoy it. I'm a bit late with it this year - I usually start collecting bits and pieces for it in February but only started last month and have only about a dozen things so far. Must get ahead with it in the coming couple of weeks. This is No 2's family. Neil doesn't really do Christmas. He takes after his Dad - a Scot from a fairly dour family who had never celebrated birthdays or Christmas until he married this southerner. And even then, he didn't see the point. Nevertheless, he was a bit of a romantic and always marked Valentine's Day - usually with something he had put together himself rather than bought in. I still have most of the little gifts and messages he gave me. Once I'm gone, I daresay Neil will dump the whole lot. Which would be fair enough, they only have meaning for me.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting about #mouldgate @Mrs T 123. Makes one wonder if there was a rogue batch. Coupled with @shelley262 's h/m bread's shelf life and my reservations around ingredients skinnybread seems to be my lc bread. We almost made the Holy Grail of lc bread from just flaxseed and water work years ago - almost. The crust was fantastic but try as we may the middle remained soggy. The youtube video and internet reported that about 50% of people had the same experience. I know there are excellent cooks here which makes my journey painful. I am where I am with this because of failures which upset Julie. She is a good cook and tries endlessly to make things I have found in books, from the web or seen on here. Almost none of them work for me and she is crest fallen. Two floor to ceiling cupboards of ingredients went in a skip in the move. A slew of expensive LC/keto cookbooks will probably go in a skip soon. I'm left with the idea that I mostly eat totally non "adapted" food or go off piste, use what I have learned about pre and post prandial methods of reducing impact and live with the consequences - hence the Libre. Long post, I think the gist is I know my diet is very limited and it concerns me. I detest the impact on Julie of all the experiments and the utter waste of time and money from trying to adapt foods I'm never unlikely to be going near DD again. I find it cheaper and less stressful to buy a few things than make them plus stay close to mainly raw/cold food.

I have quite a few recipes for a bread replacement, Ian, but have never felt like making them. Looking at the recipes, I can't think they will turn into anything very satisfactory to me. To me, bread is bread, cake is cake and are irreplaceable so I'd rather do without most of the time and take the consequences when I do have any of the real thing. These tales of mouldy "bread" products really put me off even more. In fact, I'd rather make everything from scratch anyway so don't buy in ready-made anything. But for me, raw food doesn't do it. When speaking to my brother a couple of weeks ago, we both agreed that raw foods (other than fruit) are not for us - maybe it's a nurture thing from the 1940's/50's.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have quite a few recipes for a bread replacement, Ian, but have never felt like making them. Looking at the recipes, I can't think they will turn into anything very satisfactory to me. To me, bread is bread, cake is cake and are irreplaceable so I'd rather do without most of the time and take the consequences when I do have any of the real thing. These tales of mouldy "bread" products really put me off even more. In fact, I'd rather make everything from scratch anyway so don't buy in ready-made anything. But for me, raw food doesn't do it. When speaking to my brother a couple of weeks ago, we both agreed that raw foods (other than fruit) are not for us - maybe it's a nurture thing from the 1940's/50's.
Thanks for reading @Annb - how is the tooth/ulcer? The raw food is interesting. I always enjoyed salad and (very) rare beef.Meat that needs to be well cooked doesn't really do it for me. Lately discover i really like sashimi. Bread makes my life easier and none of the make from scratch works. I miss the really dense normal bread. There is one cake Julie makes that works for me which is now my birthday treat otherwise baking has been hideous. We are currently trying to make a gravy I will eat. It will have to be developed by us as any recipes we have seen I have rejected on sight - won't make them. Probably involve xantham gum, I won't have butter or cream in gravy and it has to stick to meat for me.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for reading @Annb - how is the tooth/ulcer? The raw food is interesting. I always enjoyed salad and (very) rare beef.Meat that needs to be well cooked doesn't really do it for me. Lately discover i really like sashimi. Bread makes my life easier and none of the make from scratch works. I miss the really dense normal bread. There is one cake Julie makes that works for me which is now my birthday treat otherwise baking has been hideous. We are currently trying to make a gravy I will eat. It will have to be developed by us as any recipes we have seen I have rejected on sight - won't make them. Probably involve xantham gum, I won't have butter or cream in gravy and it has to stick to meat for me.

Now that you mention it, Ian, beef is about the only thing I enjoy almost raw. I've never tried sashimi, or sushi - can't get fresh fish here. Quite like the idea though. I do like bakery made bread but, again, can't get any half decent bread here on the Islands. When we lived in Ayrshire, in the 60's, we used to go to our local bakery at 6 am to buy fresh rolls for breakfast and fresh unsliced bread for the rest of the day. Fantastic!

Neil makes his own bread, so that he knows what is in it, but I don't like the taste or texture - too spongy and too little salt. It suits him though. He can't eat any kind of fibre, so no fruit or veg and flour with as little fibre as possible. He can't take most dairy products but does manage to eat lactofree cheese (odd that). No milk except very specific soya milk, which also has less fibre. Soya cheese doesn't suit him either. Animal products in general upset his Crohn's but he can eat some fish, once in a while, if it is tinned in brine. And I think I have problems with food!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that you mention it, Ian, beef is about the only thing I enjoy almost raw. I've never tried sashimi, or sushi - can't get fresh fish here. Quite like the idea though. I do like bakery made bread but, again, can't get any half decent bread here on the Islands. When we lived in Ayrshire, in the 60's, we used to go to our local bakery at 6 am to buy fresh rolls for breakfast and fresh unsliced bread for the rest of the day. Fantastic!

Neil makes his own bread, so that he knows what is in it, but I don't like the taste or texture - too spongy and too little salt. It suits him though. He can't eat any kind of fibre, so no fruit or veg and flour with as little fibre as possible. He can't take most dairy products but does manage to eat lactofree cheese (odd that). No milk except very specific soya milk, which also has less fibre. Soya cheese doesn't suit him either. Animal products in general upset his Crohn's but he can eat some fish, once in a while, if it is tinned in brine. And I think I have problems with food!
Hug for Neil and a mother's love - they're still our babies however old.