What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen, a touch chilly here in Tilehurst Towers, must switch the heating on.

A common 6.1 this morning, it seems a few of our fellow posters and painters have this reading this morning, could it be a new virus?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from another morning of promise here in the dark and dangerous north

The wonder wheel of some sort of cheesy use up those bits and bobs and bake in the oven thing came in at 5.2 this am

Such a lot of buzz to catch up on and welcome @Humble Bee to comfort corner.
@lindisfel - another great set of photos and a bonus bird as well.
@Muddy Cyclist - a superb line of beech trees, great colour palate as usual. Good luck with the dangling deliciousness of boozy cake.
@geefull - thanks for your kind comments. Custard recipe sounds good. Smashing sky in your latest scape and a great shimmer on that sea. As mentioned by Muddy Cyclist - how?
@Alien Aspie - Baby it’s cold outside - great snowscape - Christmas card manufacturing season is upon us.
@gennepher - big hug for the flashing lights season.

A wonderful bright, sunny day yesterday and quite warm. Unfortunately that sort of thing acts like a magnet and reports of the town, beach and all down the coast chocker block with escapists resulted in just a walk to the local park. Even there it was quite busy and after only a couple of miles I returned home - I usually follow the park run route and get in 5km and then maybe head for a walk down the beach - but not yesterday.
Youngest grandchild will be arriving in about half an hour so hopefully we will grab some peanuts for the squirrels and a bit of bread for the water birds and head into the park.

Art today - one landscape practice from the mustard seed garden manual of painting and one acetone and ink dribble followed up with a small brush.
Have the very best day that you can have, another vaccine soon to be available to choose from, time for another koffy.

upload_2020-11-23_9-1-49.jpeg

upload_2020-11-23_9-1-31.jpeg

Reactions: mojo37

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please tell me what L'm missing here. Entitled version of Forrest Gump in No 10 hails 70% effective as fantastic. We should have been on a plane to Cyprus yesterday. Any airline telling me I had a 70% chance of the plane landing in one piece or the right place would deserve a very different epithet to fantastic. Oh, sorry folks. It is the fault of that malicious meeja.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No he shouldn't do it!
I remember the story from when I was a young electrician,
A man relieving himself at the back of a rusty tin shed at a gravel pit hadn't noticed a phase of an overhead supply was rubbing on the top of the roof in a strong wind. He was a good conductor when the phase made contact and I think it caused his eyeballs to rotate. :)

EEEEK!

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please tell me what L'm missing here. Entitled version of Forrest Gump in No 10 hails 70% effective as fantastic. We should have been on a plane to Cyprus yesterday. Any airline telling me I had a 70% chance of the plane landing in one piece or the right place would deserve a very different epithet to fantastic. Oh, sorry folks. It is the fault of that malicious meeja.
Seems that a half dose followed by a full dose gives 90% - but 70% is better odds than a flue jab (pooled at 51%-67% in populations 18+ according to WHO.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

To be fair, a 70% success rate on a novel vaccine is actually very good.

I took a look at the success rates of existing vaccines for comparison. MMR hits at about 98% with the mumps component at 88% but only after multiple shots (x2). Same for Polio, initial 70-80%, 2nd shot 90% and 3rd 100%. DTaP shows 80-90% only after 5 shots and then a lead up to 100%.

It's already mooted that the vaccine may be a multishot like the flu vaccine which only has a 60% success rate.

Early days, but I am hopeful they will come up with something :)

Reactions: lindisfel

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was beautiful at sunrise, but absolutely freezing with a hard frost in the night.

My wood shredder is up and working. Makes a satisfying early morning noise. But my fingers were frozen, and so I came in to warm up.

But not before I'd had an idea. My bamboo is nice and thick (for canes next year), and needs thinning, and cutting down somewhat before we have a wet snow. Bamboo with heavy wet snow on it gets pushed to the ground. And can break and flatten any structure in its path. The bamboo however, once the snow melts, returns back to upright again. I know this, because it flattened a pagoda I had spent weeks and weeks that summer in my garden. :(

I have just cut some bamboo right down to the ground, and pre-tested my idea a bit, which is self-explanatory (I hope in my painting for today).

If you can't beat them, then join them. This will face his kitchen door and window. He has Xmas decorations, then I will have Xmas decorations. No Xmas lights on my side however. Just a barrier of colour and shapes and tinsel and baubles, which will be added to, until no flashing lights reach my bedroom window...

It was me saying to myself this morning, I can't do a thing about these flashing lights yet again from my horrid neighbour, BUT the rebel stirred up inside me, and said YES YOU CAN!

(Did I ever tell you about a teacher who whacked my head several times with the side of a ruler when I was about 5 years old? I was still in infant school then, and I was in the class for children who were backwards. I sobbed all day, my head was banging in pain. I didn't have the speech then to tell my parents, I hadn't been taught how to speak then. I was powerless. The next day I crept into the woodwork room. We had real children's sized saws, hammers, and nails in those days. I sawed the back legs of the teacher's chair as far as I was able. Hid the saw back in my skirt, and returned it to the woodwork room.

And went back outside in the playground. The teacher rang the brass handbell and we all stood in line and filed into the classroom. Then she sat on the chair. One leg collapsed, and she fell...

No one in the classroom dared laugh, and neither did I. The other children in the class had no speech, or not much speech. So she couldn't prove anything. No one had seen me do it, so no one looked in my direction.

Now, if my spirited 5 year old self can do this, what business have I saying to myself at 71 years old that I am powerless? ).

409A6E06-C28B-4388-BF7E-0EE5A0EA38ED.jpeg

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oh this man sounds truly awful! Poor you. If only you could persuade the urinating man mentioned in the Neighbourhood app to relieve himself on the fuses of this guy’s outdoor monstrosity.
That would be a good idea....

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are also hoping the vet visit goes well. We re-bandaged his foot yesterday and he immediately started ripping it off. I think we did it too tightly and it was uncomfortable. Put manuka honey in foot and re-bandaged it a little looser and he hasn't touched it. Not sure if the vet will approve of the manuka honey.
I have used Manuka honey oftentimes on animals over the years, to the disapproval of the vet. Their expensive treatment did not work, and so I resorted back to the Manuka honey eventually.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No he shouldn't do it!
I remember the story from when I was a young electrician,
A man relieving himself at the back of a rusty tin shed at a gravel pit hadn't noticed a phase of an overhead supply was rubbing on the top of the roof in a strong wind. He was a good conductor when the phase made contact and I think it caused his eyeballs to rotate. :)

Well that might be a better option than the man who observed this man doing it with the first man’s wife watching horrified through the window, was threatening to do. He was foresighted enough to take a photo of the man doing the business along with his dog. And posted it online...but he must have cropped the photo...

However, the dog is not a dog often seen nowadays, and people recognised the dog...

I shall be watching this app with bated breath for the next instalment...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher - big hug for the flashing lights season.

A wonderful bright, sunny day yesterday and quite warm. Unfortunately that sort of thing acts like a magnet and reports of the town, beach and all down the coast chocker block with escapists resulted in just a walk to the local park. Even there it was quite busy and after only a couple of miles I returned home - I usually follow the park run route and get in 5km and then maybe head for a walk down the beach - but not yesterday.
Youngest grandchild will be arriving in about half an hour so hopefully we will grab some peanuts for the squirrels and a bit of bread for the water birds and head into the park.

Art today - one landscape practice from the mustard seed garden manual of painting and one acetone and ink dribble followed up with a small brush.
Have the very best day that you can have, another vaccine soon to be available to choose from, time for another koffy.

View attachment 45644

View attachment 45643

Thanks @dunelm
I am working on this problem. I will come up with something this year...

I am sorry there were too many people about for you to get your walk in.

I love both your paintings.
I don’t know what paper you have used, or if it the lighting for the photo of the paintings, but I love that ‘yellow’ paper. It accentuates your brilliant black ink work beautifully.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I suppose a non law abiding citizen could be paid to paint all their individual lights with a few cans of matt black spray one dark night. Gennepher probably doesn't know of any Banksy vigilanties in the dark skies movement.
You have no idea how funny that is...you shouldn’t have these kinds of ideas...

lindisfel

Expert
They keep changing the forecast, a dry week was forecast and it started raining before lunch and apparently it will be wet tomorrow.
Still, it settles the dust! As they say locally.
And who am I to complain if all our friends in Manchester get another glass of Cumbrian water.

There has been a dipper in the river singing the last two days and a grey wagtail around as well. A band of long-tailed crossed the road on my morning walk. Mind you its a longish time since we had a kingfisher.

I see there is an American Belted Kingfisher in Ireland. No doubt blown across in the Jet Stream. That would be sight for sore eyes in our local river.
I think I would keep it quiet.
D.

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo37

lindisfel

Expert
It was beautiful at sunrise, but absolutely freezing with a hard frost in the night.

My wood shredder is up and working. Makes a satisfying early morning noise. But my fingers were frozen, and so I came in to warm up.

But not before I'd had an idea. My bamboo is nice and thick (for canes next year), and needs thinning, and cutting down somewhat before we have a wet snow. Bamboo with heavy wet snow on it gets pushed to the ground. And can break and flatten any structure in its path. The bamboo however, once the snow melts, returns back to upright again. I know this, because it flattened a pagoda I had spent weeks and weeks that summer in my garden. :(

I have just cut some bamboo right down to the ground, and pre-tested my idea a bit, which is self-explanatory (I hope in my painting for today).

If you can't beat them, then join them. This will face his kitchen door and window. He has Xmas decorations, then I will have Xmas decorations. No Xmas lights on my side however. Just a barrier of colour and shapes and tinsel and baubles, which will be added to, until no flashing lights reach my bedroom window...

It was me saying to myself this morning, I can't do a thing about these flashing lights yet again from my horrid neighbour, BUT the rebel stirred up inside me, and said YES YOU CAN!

(Did I ever tell you about a teacher who whacked my head several times with the side of a ruler when I was about 5 years old? I was still in infant school then, and I was in the class for children who were backwards. I sobbed all day, my head was banging in pain. I didn't have the speech then to tell my parents, I hadn't been taught how to speak then. I was powerless. The next day I crept into the woodwork room. We had real children's sized saws, hammers, and nails in those days. I sawed the back legs of the teacher's chair as far as I was able. Hid the saw back in my skirt, and returned it to the woodwork room.

And went back outside in the playground. The teacher rang the brass handbell and we all stood in line and filed into the classroom. Then she sat on the chair. One leg collapsed, and she fell...

No one in the classroom dared laugh, and neither did I. The other children in the class had no speech, or not much speech. So she couldn't prove anything. No one had seen me do it, so no one looked in my direction.

Now, if a spunky 5 year old can do this, what business have I saying to myself at 71 years old that I am powerless? ).

View attachment 45651
Oh Gennepher, you were a little devil!.:);)

Reactions: jjraak

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @dunelm
I am working on this problem. I will come up with something this year...

I am sorry there were too many people about for you to get your walk in.

I love both your paintings.
I don’t know what paper you have used, or if it the lighting for the photo of the paintings, but I love that ‘yellow’ paper. It accentuates your brilliant black ink work beautifully.
Thank you @gennepher. I don’t know what the yellow paper is, it arrived with the painting materials from my mother. It is quite thin and feels unsized. Quite large sheets so only using half sheets. My mother tells me that you can iron rice paper carefully on a low heat to get creases out - yet to try.