"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My mum used to rub babies sore gums with neat whisky, or sore teeth with it too. Put me off drinking it for years, but I can quite like it now. :happy:
Interesting reading all the bread stories. I'm only just coming upto 8 months after diagnosis and am learning never to say never. I currently don't miss bread at all, in any shape or form and the keto breads do seem to have an alarming odd mix of ingredients so at the moment I'm happy to abstain.
I do think some of these keto recipes are getting close to using manufactured ingredients and are becoming as mass produced as the foods we are trying to avoid. If I don't recognise it, or know how the ingredients are made, then I'm passing (but never saying never!)
What on earth are xanthum gum and protein whey powder anyway?
Luckily we are a family without any particular food no nos. Since my dx, my hubby has even started eating and liking nuts after a lifetime of avoidance.

@ianpspurs which cake is it that works for you? I'm wondering if you have undiagnosed allergies as well as the big D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mum used to rub babies sore gums with neat whisky, or sore teeth with it too. Put me off drinking it for years, but I can quite like it now. :happy:
Interesting reading all the bread stories. I'm only just coming upto 8 months after diagnosis and am learning never to say never. I currently don't miss bread at all, in any shape or form and the keto breads do seem to have an alarming odd mix of ingredients so at the moment I'm happy to abstain.
I do think some of these keto recipes are getting close to using manufactured ingredients and are becoming as mass produced as the foods we are trying to avoid. If I don't recognise it, or know how the ingredients are made, then I'm passing (but never saying never!)
What on earth are xanthum gum and protein whey powder anyway?
Luckily we are a family without any particular food no nos. Since my dx, my hubby has even started eating and liking nuts after a lifetime of avoidance.

@ianpspurs which cake is it that works for you? I'm wondering if you have undiagnosed allergies as well as the big D
The cake is an adaptation of this. I wouldn't dream of eating anything with frosting,. The only slight allergy I have is to some sources of green lipped mussels - barely noticeable rash and only if eating every day for a week. I'm a first grandchild ( 3rd gen, all blue eyed boys of those) only child so obviously very easy to please,:angelic: P'md you.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb I do hope you get a dental appointment tomorrow. If all else fails see if you can get your GP to prescribe an antibiotic since it may be you have an infection anyway. @ianpspurs I so feel for you with #mouldgate especially when I love the SLC bread (note bread). I've discovered if you order late on Friday or on Saturday it goes out Monday and arrives Tuesday. I'm sure Mrs T 123 will confirm but I think that's a fresh bake. I'm still a Skinny Bread fan but SLC is just soooo good for sandwiches and for someone who lived on sandwiches for years it was a godsend.
Thanks for all the kind words on Brother. He's home and resting. Still none the wiser but I'm just happy a spread of his cancer was ruled out.
The boys were remarkably good today. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I'm kinda ashamed to even show my American face here... certain large persons appear to be acting like a little 3-yr-old in a sandbox...
/politics rant
In better news, I found a used washer on Craigslist for $275 that will be a good stopgap until I can get what I want as a replacement for the late Old Faithful Maytag. Anybody want to help me channel my father in engineering a hoist to help an old man and a young man, both with bad backs, get it up two steep steps with a hand truck? Speak up, I can't hear you! I will reward you with the old one!
Meanwhile, doing a small load of "smalls" in the kitchen sink. The old one can spin them out, and won't leak much in the process.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs I feel it speaks well of you and Julie that you have ceaselessly pursued just about everything. I don't think it's easy living inside limits, and am very grateful MrZF doesn't have to make meals for me just now.
@PenguinMum those of us with pre-existing conditions are making our families' lives pretty complicated. I am grateful both my kids live in town and we've been "podding" with them from the beginning. The pod also includes anyone who is in the family of our grandson who's had contact with him from the beginning. With three sets of grandparents, , 2 uncles (one with SO and wee baby), and an aunt/SO, it adds up! 13 for Thanksgiving except 3 can't make it, and two babies. Since we've all been up in each others' business for 8 months, and we all satisfy the safety requirements of the baby daddies, it might be the biggest local Thanksgiving in town! As to Christmas, give us a chance! Thanksgiving was just decided last week, and it's this coming Thursday.
@Annb your toothache, being right there in your brain so to speak, is certainly not a fraud. It's miserable is what it is. Hope your scrambled egg sat well. And sometimes money is the best gift and truly very thoughtful-- sometimes those we love are saving for a big necessity or treat, or really don't want another necktie (you know what I mean). Neil's Valentines sound like the most beautiful gift you could have, especially from one raised as he was.
@MrsA2 xanthan gum is a plant product, and whey powder is the protein from milk, powdered. Wikipedia says xanthan gum is a polysaccharide that can be made by fermenting a simple sugar with a bacterium which starts with "xanth". Thus endeth today's lesson.

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote many thanks for starting this thread - finally jumping on and waaaaay behind! So maybe I'll just dive in from here.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the early doggie posts (miss having a dog, was just about to get a one - after many dogless years - when COVID hit and so I put it off) - hmm, possibly to relief of my cats but I've been telling them it will happen!
For your relief @ianpspurs I wont call them furbabies - in fact I think it more appropriate to consider myself staff (in the fine tradition of cat-human relationships). Or possibly work colleagues as here they are indicating that it should definitely be the end of my work day and time to consider their needs (having moved off their official 'supervisor-cat-sleeping-in-home-office' chair - behind - and into their 'we-are-barricading-your-laptop position). Kiku, left, Seal Point Siamese girl (more self-contained but also highly and immediately alert to the formation of human lap, and Moshi, right, Chocolate Point boy (younger, very smoochy and a little bossy).

IMG_5275(1).JPG
IMG_5273(1).JPG

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I feel it speaks well of you and Julie that you have ceaselessly pursued just about everything. I don't think it's easy living inside limits, and am very grateful MrZF doesn't have to make meals for me just now.
@PenguinMum those of us with pre-existing conditions are making our families' lives pretty complicated. I am grateful both my kids live in town and we've been "podding" with them from the beginning. The pod also includes anyone who is in the family of our grandson who's had contact with him from the beginning. With three sets of grandparents, , 2 uncles (one with SO and wee baby), and an aunt/SO, it adds up! 13 for Thanksgiving except 3 can't make it, and two babies. Since we've all been up in each others' business for 8 months, and we all satisfy the safety requirements of the baby daddies, it might be the biggest local Thanksgiving in town! As to Christmas, give us a chance! Thanksgiving was just decided last week, and it's this coming Thursday.
@Annb your toothache, being right there in your brain so to speak, is certainly not a fraud. It's miserable is what it is. Hope your scrambled egg sat well. And sometimes money is the best gift and truly very thoughtful-- sometimes those we love are saving for a big necessity or treat, or really don't want another necktie (you know what I mean). Neil's Valentines sound like the most beautiful gift you could have, especially from one raised as he was.
@MrsA2 xanthan gum is a plant product, and whey powder is the protein from milk, powdered. Wikipedia says xanthan gum is a polysaccharide that can be made by fermenting a simple sugar with a bacterium which starts with "xanth". Thus endeth today's lesson.
Sometimes, just sometimes, I wish the gal cared a tad less. After typing how we/she had learned our lesson about lc baking it all goes Pete Tong. I casually say I enjoyed a Fatt Bar butter cookie. Idiot here has provided his dear wife with an iPad (hate the things) so she looks up the ingredients, Amazons herself into a frenzy. Dried egg, citrus fibre and all kinds of cupboard fillers are heading to an already crowded new(ish) kitchen. I never really internalised the error from first Easter of saying I quite enjoyed a certain type of hot cross bun. :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@zauberflote many thanks for starting this thread - finally jumping on and waaaaay behind! So maybe I'll just dive in from here.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the early doggie posts (miss having a dog, was just about to get a one - after many dogless years - when COVID hit and so I put it off) - hmm, possibly to relief of my cats but I've been telling them it will happen!
For your relief @ianpspurs I wont call them furbabies - in fact I think it more appropriate to consider myself staff (in the fine tradition of cat-human relationships). Or possibly work colleagues as here they are indicating that it should definitely be the end of my work day and time to consider their needs (having moved off their official 'supervisor-cat-sleeping-in-home-office' chair - behind - and into their 'we-are-barricading-your-laptop position). Kiku, left, Seal Point Siamese girl (more self-contained but also highly and immediately alert to the formation of human lap, and Moshi, right, Chocolate Point boy (younger, very smoochy and a little bossy).

View attachment 45635 View attachment 45636

Now I am singing "We are Siamese if you please"

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hubby has very kindly bought me another gadget for my birthday - a Percussion Massage Gun. I've been having major issues with my legs since my gym still isn't open (and it's not looking promising now it seems they may not go down a level tomorrow). I've used it on one leg already and boy is it powerful. It certainly seems it is going to be useful when the muscles lock up.
I'll be staying away from the spine since I don't think going near the spinal injury area with this would be a good idea . It will be handy to take away with me though if we ever get holidays again!
I have to say Hubby has actually done well this time picking something himself!
71wiVl7Us4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks very impressive. I hope it works well for you and gives you some relief.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Got my dentist appointment for 2.30 today. I phoned at 9 am and was asked to leave a message, but they didn't call back so I phoned again at noon. "Oh we've been very busy, we're short staffed today." But they did give me an appointment anyway, so no harm done. Of course, the toothache has improved today - still there and also moving on to the other side of my face but really not so urgent as over the weekend. I'm still going though - it could easily get worse again without treatment. Neil will have to take me, although he's feeling a bit off today himself (he just had his flu jab this morning) in case they give me an anaesthetic.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just back from the dentist, sans one broken tooth but with some antibiotics for the infection in my gums. It took 2 dentists, an hour to get it out. They were going to do some root work on a second tooth that is also giving trouble but I couldn't take any more and asked them to put it off for another time. And I thought I was pretty tough! They did say that it was the worst extraction they had ever done - but I pointed out that the last one I had done was worse. It took a bit less time and only one dentist, but he had to chop the root up in the gum and get as much out as he could at that time (the rest came out in bits over the next month or so). They said that this time, the root broke up all by itself but they did get it all out. Depends on your perspective, I suppose. Just tried to drink a cup of cool tea - not my best effort ever. I'm sure everyone has tried drinking a liquid with only half a mouth working. I anticipate that my jaw will get back into working order in a day or so.:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear of difficult extraction and the work to come on another tooth @Annb. A virtual hug is all I can offer and hope it heals asap. I have been having quite the day when all goes so much better than I could have imagined. My fbg , weight and resting pulse were spiffing. Skip finally removed from front lawn. My first ever visit to an optician was lurvly - eyes good, very safe and escaped with only £10 bill for the enhanced test. My beloved Range Rover all fixed, MOTd and came in under my bottom estimate. We saw some beautiful horses in Newmarket, smelled all the Emirates money there and found some yellow stickered loveliness in Waitrose. Must have affected me badly as I decided we should have hot food to mark the first frost of the year. Julie likes lamb shanks and we saw some fine examples of the species. Out has come the IP, W lamb stock, tarragon, wine, mushrooms, a sprinkle of frozen onions (lowest carb we can find, W) and some of the lowest carb tomato paste we can find - W. will have some stodge via swede and celeriac mash - black pepper and butter - maybe a glass of red. Might as well make use of wearing a Libre sensor on a day like today. Tomorrow may be a very different day but feel very blessed today
SLC are replacing mouldy old rolls.

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Annb glad you have got some relief from the pain

@ianpspurs & @maglil55 seriously low carb got back to me and are going to replace/send out a replacement full order - happy with that as I have used up all the bread that was in the fridge today and I only lost 2 rolls to mouldgate - I wonder what I will have tomorrow - no bread - oh yes toast made with some of the bread from the freezer - so handy and convenient especially with all the different shifts I do.

Strange day today BS wise every time I have tested I have been low 5s or under - don't know why - not complaining though usually the other way around - don't know if I will ever work this D out

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs and @Mrs T 123 Sounds like SLC are a good company sorting out the problems you both had and particularly good result for you @Mrs T 123 a bit like my montezumas replacement earlier this year see other thread! I’m enjoying baking my own bread for now but may try them at some stage. At the moment I’m finding baking the one loaf a week therapeutic but good to have fall back option as OH eatsmore bread than me and currently also eating my LC bread so it’s going quicker think it’s the smell when baking it!
Life still a struggle here with ongoing problems related to autistic son but I chirped up loads when heard that our pool would be able to open again later next week I miss it so so much and can’t wait to get back......
Edit posted before added @Annb i really feel for you that extraction sounds dreadful I had a nasty one a year ago it’s very traumatic and brutal a tooth extraction really feel for you rest up and take care
@maglil55 wow that gift for your birthday looks a bit like an instrument of torture pleased it helps though and clearly missed wishing you happy returns so happy belated birthday to you

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I have cracked a tooth...First appt with dentist not until 1st December!
@Annb glad yours has been sorted out, and so soon
@zauberflote quite envious of your Thanksgivign gathering. Enjoy it on all our behalves please
@ianpspurs love a yellow sticker bargain... although deliveries are safe I miss the thrill of the hunt
@maglil55 intriguing looking implement. Do let us know how it goes.
@OzBlossom we house sat for 2 Siamese earlier this year, beautiful but aloof
@shelley262 a hug, and fingers crossed for the pool opening
Apologies to anyone I've missed. I'm not very good at these replies

I'm finding this waiting to see what tier we are in quite draining. Got out for a walk today with an acquaintance who might become a new friend. Exciting. Oh, and ordered a new lap top as old one is getting so sloooow

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 reminded me that I too had missed your birthday @maglil55 - sorry. Also sorry for dental issues @Annb and @MrsA2. My pivot to an earlier way of eating LC is an interesting work in progress. The IP worked well for the lamb shank and the Food Fairy is cooking a gammon hock which makes me think of Christmas. So now I am thinking where do I work in cinnamon, mace, cloves, nutmeg and other spices I associate with Christmas?. I've never really got mulled wine (or ginger) - we did make eggnog which could so easily be made lc . When the gammon is done and a pot has a quick wash she wants to cook oxtail as she likes to cook, cool, skim and cook again. I'm no fan of oxtail but things seem to be changing in odd ways just now so who knows.? Salad needed today as there is lots in the fridges and it won't freeze. I can roast celery, tomatoes, spinach even cucumber and suate some lettuce. Madam bagged a reduced lamb shouder which will appear maybe Thursday when we have 3 grandchildren for evening meal. That will be a much harder task for making gravy then casserole type meals - xantham gum trial time. Food fairy has found a tweak to her previous method.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Blood all over my pillow and face when I woke up this morning - later than usual because I took 2 Co-codamol last night. At least the gum had stopped bleeding by the time I woke up. It's actually only feeling a bit tender now and is recovering fast.

Diabetes nurse just phoned and asked me to go back onto Humilin S and Lantus since the recent insulins aren't even working as well as the old ones. And I just got a new supply of the new ones yesterday. Such is life. She has a video conference with a consultant and will ask his advice about this very insulin resistant pest of a patient!

Edited by moderator to remove identifying information

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy belated birthday wishes to @maglil55. I hope you had a lovely day.

@shelley262 glad the pool is opening up again soon - enjoy your me time - sometimes it is the simplest of things that can make us happy - something to look forward to for you

@ianpspurs I do like a wee yellow sticker bargain too - and can't wait for the freebies to arrive from seriously low carb ...

@DJC3 I live in Scotland in between Glasgow and Edinburgh - Glasgow area is back in lockdown until 11th December as are we - we have been placed with them when we are not as bad as them whereas Edinburgh on the other hand only 20 mins along the road on the train is a lot more relaxed - only problem is we are not allowed on the train or to leave our area at the moment. In fact we are actually nearer to Edinburgh than Glasgow as Glasgow is around 40 mins away on the train. All restaurants, pubs etc. non essential shops are closed here a bit like a ghost town at the moment AND HAIRDRESSERS AND BEAUTY SALONS ARE ALSO CLOSED - I tried to put on an appointment with the hairdressers before we went back in to lockdown on Friday past at 6pm but was told there was nothing left for December - I have had a trim in the last couple of weeks but my roots need done and then I thought well I won't be doing much anyway unlike last year! Who was talking about hairy Mary - I think I'll be looking like hairy mary by the end of the year - it's been a strange year anyhow.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The stars I've made for our village path decorations are finally done. They were actually very easy to make once all the deliveries arrived. Let's hope they withstand the elements.
20201124_161451_copy_612x816.jpg