What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I had 2 main meals but I’ve just found a packet of Montezuma’s peanut butter eggs and eaten 2.
NE1 about 10:30 was h/m chicken liver pate on SLC toast and a h/b egg.
NE2 about 2:30 was a couple of glasses of Champagne to start, then pork tenderloin stuffed with smoked cheese ( grated, so it did go gooey) and Parma ham. Buttered broccoli with it and red wine. A bit of Yarg with more red wine to follow.
We always get the Co-op own brand champagne Les Pionniers because we think it’s great - this is born out by another ‘star buy’ review here, it’s always winning awards in blind tastings.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/wine/best-champagne-sparkling-wines-christmas-2020/
Too much booze today really but it was a jolly and festive day and thoroughly enjoyable.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I had 2 main meals but I’ve just found a packet of Montezuma’s peanut butter eggs and eaten 2.
NE1 about 10:30 was h/m chicken liver pate on SLC toast and a h/b egg.
NE2 about 2:30 was a couple of glasses of Champagne to start, then pork tenderloin stuffed with smoked cheese ( grated, so it did go gooey) and Parma ham. Buttered broccoli with it and red wine. A bit of Yarg with more red wine to follow.
We always get the Co-op own brand champagne Les Pionniers because we think it’s great - this is born out by another ‘star buy’ review here, it’s always winning awards in blind tastings.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/wine/best-champagne-sparkling-wines-christmas-2020/
Too much booze today really but it was a jolly and festive day and thoroughly enjoyable.
NEs make a comeback how very retro. They urgently need your expertise here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/question-can-we-drink-alcohol.178143 :angelic:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what's your idea? I have a feeling I'd like to think about your idea as well :D:hungry:

I was thinking they’d be a good ‘lining’ for a ‘pie’ made of mince or corned beef and onions and anything else you fancy adding in. Lasagne etc is too sweet for me because of the tomatoes, but @shelley262 ’s meal sounded good and this would be a good substitute. May also work as a quiche crust. I foresee some smoked cheese being added to my Morrison’s delivery this week.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Another toothache day, so trying not to chew on anything - lots of tea and a couple of glasses of milk. BG down to 9.7.

Feeling pretty nauseous at present and am just wondering if, because of that, I should avoid food or if it would sort itself out if I do eat something. I have some lamb mince defrosted and should use it today, or it will only be fit for the dustbin (dogs). Don't feel like doing anything complicated - maybe some lamb burgers to put inside some lettuce leaves. Should be easy enough.

It wasn't a good idea. Meatzza bases cooked and ready to go into the freezer. Burgers and lettuce in compost bin.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was thinking they’d be a good ‘lining’ for a ‘pie’
Very interesting thinking!
I must say that even the most unappetising looking browned bits on my dish tasted fine and had a nice chewy texture, you might be onto something here!
For your information, my dish spent around 30 minutes in the oven at around 180 or 200 degrees C, I think. (oven is too dark to really read the thermometer, but this is what I aimed for :D) The dish had also already spent a day in the fridge, uncovered, so I suppose the cheese had dried out a bit already even before baking.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and raspberry and vanilla LC granola with black coffee.
Elevenses: black coffee with salted caramel phd bar
Lunch: two marmite cheddar bites followed by Greek yoghurt, strawberries and LC vanilla and raspberry granola.
Dinner: beef brisket and mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
marmite cheddar bites
What are those?
I was thinking they’d be a good ‘lining’ for a ‘pie’
I went to the kitchen to see if I had any smoked cheese left and was just in time to save the package left on the countertop from a cat :)
I also have some leftover tuna melt batter so I'll do a little experiment in a muffin tin tomorrow, lining it with cheese.
That should at least give us an idea on if it's possible!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the kitchen to see if I had any smoked cheese left and was just in time to save the package left on the countertop from a cat :)
I also have some leftover tuna melt batter so I'll do a little experiment in a muffin tin tomorrow, lining it with cheese.
That should at least give us an idea on if it's possible!

I’ve added smoked cheese slices to my supermarket delivery, which is due Tuesday morning so there will be some experiments here too!

Reactions: OzBlossom

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve added smoked cheese slices to my supermarket delivery, which is due Tuesday morning so there will be some experiments here too!
I'll let you know what went wrong with my experiment before you start yours, no need for us both to create the same disaster! :hilarious:

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)

I’m type 2 diabetic on 500mg Sukkarto SR twice daily.
On 12 December 2018 I was operated on for level 3 colon cancer. At the time of my op I was 80kg. I received no further treatment.
Since my operation I have lost 15kg (2 and half stone) I now weigh 65.5.

My breakfast usually consists of 198 cal of 10g of four different cereals and 50g almond milk and coffee using 80ml of UHT Skimmed Milk.

lunch today was 382 cal of bacon, egg and toast. Cup of coffee.

Dinner was 312 cal of salad, potato, fresh sweetcorn, thin slices of garlic sausage and thin ham and Caesar salad dressing and an M&S reduced calorie Greek Rhubarb Yoghurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used lidl pre sliced maasdam on top of our moussaka today, and that didn't melt either. I think the sliced gouda would act the same too, basically any cheese you use to make crisps
Still love the lasagne idea though

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are those?
Marmite flavoured individual portions of cheddar :hungry:

86E772B0-7D8A-48D9-BA12-B3A97E1D4D1E.jpeg

OzBlossom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy weekend - think I'm a bit behind!
@maglil55 so glad to hear your brother out of hospital - hope he's continuing well with recuperation.
@Annb - darn tooths - hope settling, sounds awful.
@nutribolt - loved the look of your breakfast plate! Also like recipes from that Joe Duff website - have stashed a bunch in bookmarks to try down the track.
@Annb @DCUKMod @maglil55 - I've just bought some KOH but not tried yet since, well, not using oven much. I hope it works well enough.
@MrsA2 - wonder if those uncracked crackers would go crackers in a low slow oven?
@shelley262 - I've been reading about that process of cook / cool / reheat for pasta, rice and potatoes, but not tried yet. Have you tried it out with different carbs?
@DJC3 - definitely trying out that tortilla recipe and can join you in the "I have exploded hard boiled eggs" department :hilarious:
@zauberflote - yes! very grateful that I could have some company for lunch and yesterday went early to spend day with elderly parentals (about an hour away) to do the annual Christmas cake baking, recipe used in family for 60 years. Not at all sure what I'll do this year, I LOVE Christmas cake and traditional Steamed Christmas Pudding - 150-year old family recipe handed down from Scottish great grandmother. I can see handling the rest of the Christmas meal LC/keto but my beloved dried fruit-based items :arghh:. Maybe I will have to leave my cake ration at parentals and only have a small piece when I'm there - - then go for a really big dig in their garden!

So
Saturday lunch: protein meal shake + cashew milk (it is nice and smooth) + psyllium, 2 x keto-friendly coffees
Saturday dinner: baked capsicum stuffed with mushrooms, mozarella, spring onion, egg to bind, mexican spices, green leaf salad

Sunday lunch: at parentals, made us all portobello mushroom pizzas (added some shredded salami to theirs), green leaf salad (dressing on theirs), keto friendly coffee. "Pizzas" went down a treat and they'll repeat the recipe themselves!
Sunday dinner: driving home late - those huge fruit cakes take about 6 hours to cook and did a few garden and household things for them while there. Had taken a protein meal shake mix with me, so had that just before I drove home, then 4 pieces of SF dark choc when I arrived home (to cats who tried to convince me that they were starving).

SilverK

I was imagining they were a variant of mini cheddars and wondering how on earth you could manage to only eat 2!

Love these! Taste wise, they really “hit the spot” so I find that one or two is enough. If they were less tasty I’d probably want to eat more, - if that makes any sense?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s the ‘30 mins in a hot oven’ which has been my downfall. I forget to set a timer, then start doing something else.
I have also exploded boiled eggs by putting them in a saucepan to boil and forgetting about them - water boiled dry and eggs carried on heating and finally exploded like little grenades. What a mess! I was just grateful nobody was near enough to get a shrapnel injury. ( I always do them in the IP now, it has a better memory than me)
I remember a Consultant I worked with who, while his wife was away caring for an ill parent, decided to microwave eggs. The microwave did not survive the exploding eggs!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday Bed 8.3 FBG 8.1 so still suffering from the Grahams aftermath. However, it is descending during the day. Boys are being exceptionally good at the moment. Might be the proximity of Christmas? I have a busy week what with hairdresser, physio and our flu jabs. I need to get another appointment for my diabetic checks but I'll find out on Thursday what the score is as they still seem to be telephone consults.
B. TAG and 2 slices SLC toast - one with ox tongue & coleslaw, the other with egg mayo.
L. Nothing - boys swimming lesson day.
D. Usual campari & soda and I had a wee prosecco as well. Rib eye with a portobello mushroom and a salad of lettuce, tomato, avocado, mini mozzarella and apple/celery/walnut. 2 Squares Godiva.