My Newcastle University Study extension

minn

The tea point is very interesting. I drank green or white tea without milk throughout my diet and my FBG were consistently in the mid 4s by the last week. Maybe I'll go back to that and see if it makes a difference.

Grazer

Just found an article on the Mayo clinic site. This suggests that caffeine, although comprising zero carbs, can affect insulin resistance and can, in some cases, thereby increase BGs, although only by a small amount. So it can affect us, but not to the degree of causing a "spike" as such it would seem.

Grazer

Yeah, thanks johnts, seen them now. Perhaps we'll all just have to go on a water diet - or has someone found that water raises BGs? Interestingly, green tea apparently improves BGs in OGTTs despite it's caffeine content (quite high)

Here's a link with the OGTT results in graph form. BGs were about 10% down.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2210/4/18

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Just read the web MD link and it says in the trials that those taking a caffeine pill showed an 8% increase in bg levels.

Now to me that says that those on a PILL had increased bg levels, as I drink my caffeine in coffee I doubt I have anything to worry about. Who is to say that all the caffeine in a coffee is absorbed into our blood or that all the caffeine in a pill is?

Besides an 8% increase means 5.4 mmol/L instead of 5.0 mmol/L I think I can live with that thanks. I will also keep eating carbs just not so many of them :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I do regularly have 3 or 4 cups of strong black coffee every morning say between 6.30am and 11.00 when I tend to switch to tea which also contains caffeine, I think you may be being a bit OTT with this johnts. If it were to raise my bg by 40% then I'm glad it does or I would be in a diabetic coma without all the caffeine I consume :lol: I sit nicely between 4.6 and 6.3 and my postprandial rarely go over 7.5.

In my extensive tea and coffee testing over the last three years I dont believe a word of it :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
johnts said:
yep suppose thats true but say if you had 5 cups over the day would that be a 40% increase in bgs

No it doesn't. As we all know (unless your diabetes is not under control), after a spike your BG returns back to a base level in time (hopefully less than 2 hours). Even if you had 5 cups all at once, I doubt that the effect would be cumulative.

I hope that this isn't true. Since I got diabetes Diet Coke is my only vice, I'd really hate to do without it.

johnts

no it just appears that my Bgs started to rise after starting to drink coffee again never touched a drop during the early stages of the diet was just looking for a reason for the rise which seemed to boil down Pardon the pun to the coffee I had never drunk any for 3 weeks bgs down again then had a few cups up the Bgs came again. Maybe it effects me more than that of others well put it this way my FBG this morning was 5.9 1 hour after drinking half mug of black coffee 9.9 2 hours 6.1 so gives me quite a spike so drinking caffeine over my day would keep my bgs 6 to 10

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
johnts said:
well put it this way my FBG this morning was 5.9 1 hour after drinking half mug of black coffee 9.9 2 hours 6.1 so gives me quite a spike so drinking caffeine over my day would keep my bgs 6 to 10

Amazing so half a cup of coffee raised your bg level by 4 mmol/L!!

Did you miss breakfast by any chance? As it sounds more lake a liver dump than a tiny amount of caffeine it me.

johnts

Yep only had chance to grab a small ammount this morning bit late up but with a normal breakfast scrammbled eggs etc my Bgs seem to rise when drinking coffee dont have any and its normal range so maybe its just me i dont know maybe caffeine effects me more than others.When i do drink it which to be honest isnt that often I do get a spike Maybe a case for Arthur C Clarke to investigate lol

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I still find it hard to believe that half a cup of coffee can raise your levels by 4 mmol/L.

Perhaps you should try eating some carbs for breakfast to try to stop your liver from dumping, a slice of Burgen bread at under 11g of carbs might do the job :thumbup:

Always remember a very low carb diet is not the only way :D

http://www.burgen.com.au/nutrition/carbohydrates.aspx

johnts

Day 64 29/11 06:25 FBG 6.3 09:35 + 2 hours BG 5.9 14:00 = 2 hours BG 5.9
Day 65 30/11 08:00 FBG 9.9 10:00 + 2 hours BG 6.1 14:00+2 hours BG 6.9
Day 66 1/12 06:00 FBG 6.0 09:05 + 2 hours BG 9.0 14:00 = 2 hours BG 6.7

johnts

Day 68 3/12 06:00 FBG 6.1 10:00 + 2 hours BG 7.5 14:00 + 2 hours BG 7.1
Day 69 4/12 07:00 FBG 7.1 10:05 + 2 hours BG 7.3 14:00 + 2 hours BG 5.2

johnts

Day 70 5/12 05:40 FBG 5.8 08:30 + 2 hours BG 6.8 14:00 + 2 hours BG 7.4 Weight 12s 6lb
Week Eleven
Day 71 6/12 07:30 FBG 8.1
Day 72 7/12 07:00 FBG 8.4 10:50 + 2 hours BG 6.4
Day 73 8/12 06:00 BFG 8.4 10:15 + 2 hours BG 6.9 14:15 BG 6.9
Day 74 9/12 08:20 FBG 6.3 10:30 + 2 hours BG 6.7
Day 75 10/127:00 FBG 7.8
Day 76 11/12 08:15 FBG 6.3 10:30 + 2 hours BG6.7
Day 77 12/12 07:35 FBG 7.7
Week Twelve
Day 78 13/12 04:00 FBG 4.9 06:00 + 2 hours BG 6.3

antmos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Newcastle Study Diet

I am starting the Newcastle diet on the 1st Jan under the guidance of my GP. I am on short and long acting insulin. Can anyone that is also on insulin and doing this diet give me some advice. I have been told to halve my insulin to start with but I would be interested to know what results other people have had.