What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Might have to make it into a pate so that it will be soft enough for my still bleeding gums after dental attention.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A first tonight - threw away some steak! A TMAD day.

Lunch was leftover lamb and chicken with a blob of sour cream and a pickled onion.
Dinner was Morrison’s thick cut ribeye. Usually good but this one was tough and chewy. Got half way through, gave up, binned the leftovers and ate a couple of the leftover Nando’s wings and a small ramekin of cream cheese and double cream.

@maglil55 I’d definitely put the good behaviour down to the proximity of Christmas!
@Mrs T 123 - if you don’t mention it, I bet they wouldn’t notice :D

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5am - 2 slices slc bread sandwiched with 2 slices of smoked back bacon. Mug of earl grey tea to get me going for the day. FBG I felt may be a bit low for me driving/very active day ahead so used it as an excuse to have 1 square of rum & raisin dark chocolate (5g of carbs).

12.30pm - 2 slices slc bread with cheese, ham & coleslaw.

5pm - 3 bratwurst sausages with a little 50% less sugar & salt ketchup. SF jelly with a little soya cream drizzled ovver the top. 2 squares 90% dark lindtt with peanut butter on top

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First time in my life I went to an optician. All jolly dee but strange results (in parallel thread) B= TWAM (sweetener) lots; Dockey: None. L= Costa CWC +caramel syrup - Starbucks Newmarket had no pouring cream: EM: 18.00 ish : IP Lamb shank with mashed swede and celeriac, glass of red wine. Talking to our son on the phone and forgetting the reduce function is a good trick for thickening normally watery nonsense. All about as functional as that will ever be. Who are you and what have you done with IanP? May need to try the W Armagnac later - not expecting great things there. The Food Fairy uses mandolin cut celeriac for celagne - one of the few swaps to be edible IMHO.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee all morning plus a Montezuma’s peanut butter mini egg. Then lunch of leftover creamy chicken/ bacon/mustard thing from the other day. DGF butterscotch pecan blondie
Dinner was a keto pizza from the Ivor Cummings book. Similar to fat head base but not so good actually. SF jelly and cream and 2 Montezumas peanut butter eggs. It’ll be good when the packet is empty.
@maglil55 are hairdressers open in Scotland? Ours is shut and I doubt I’ll get in before Christmas when it does open.
@Goonergal what a shame about that steak, also a shame you don’t have a dog who’d have enjoyed it. Good thing you’d overordered on the chicken wings.
Hugs for ongoing troubles @Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was thinking they’d be a good ‘lining’ for a ‘pie’ made of mince or corned beef and onions and anything else you fancy adding in. Lasagne etc is too sweet for me because of the tomatoes, but @shelley262 ’s meal sounded good and this would be a good substitute. May also work as a quiche crust. I foresee some smoked cheese being added to my Morrison’s delivery this week.

I'm sorry to inform you theat the smoked cheese does melt when used beneath a relatively wet batter and baked in a silicone muffin tray. Nothing wrong with the taste, but the way I used it doesn't work as 'pie lining'. The circled one is the upside down one with the cheese, I had to scrape the molten (melted?) cheese from the tray.

The rest of the meal is broad beans (canned) with slowly fried onions and bacon :hungry:

127121468_10222295010518496_1575974694549382114_o.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 good job you’re not here I’ve still got five packs of those mini eggs in fridge! Luckily I really can’t eat more than one mini egg at a time as I find them really rich. I’ve still got lots and lots of montezumas choc bars left after my free duplicate delivery - some in fridge and rest in freezer. I’d bought big stash in their sale of old design 100% bars and mini eggs which didn’t arrive so they replaced them but then both deliveries arrived! I spoke to customer service and they said to keep the replacements free of charge. I’ve also been making truffles,you may have noticed, with some of the bars using erythritol to sweeten more so that OH can join in with working through the montezuma mountain! OH likes the sweetened truffles but not the bars of choc or the mini eggs. Sons don’t even like the truffles and say they are just not sweet enough!
@OzBlossom re - cooked,frozen and reheated carbs I’ve only ever done it with a few potatoes and lc bread. I always keep portions very small eg only one slice of toast at a time so I’m sure that helps too but neither seem to impact on my bgs. I’m not planning ever to add rice or pasta to my to try list as I am happy with lc replacements for these and don’t crave those particular carbs. The few carbs that I do eat have to be enjoyable.
@Goonergal and @Antje77 good luck with your experiments with sliced cheese sounds like yummy fun.
Breakfast slice of lc bread toasted and two boiled eggs
Lunch cheese,seeded crackers and a few tiny tomatoes followed by a lc chocolate truffle
Dinner Cajun chicken with hm salsa and lots of salads. Pudding DGF lemon and blueberry cake with cream

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake phd bar
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a few pecans.
Dinner: gammon steak and a leafy salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
b: ffgreek with seeds and strawberries. Will not buy out of season strawberries again, even though British. Tasteless and hard. As a gardener I should have known it was unnatural
Exercise class, then hour and half hilly walk
L: chicken thigh, 3 olives and a little Polish tomato salad from a jar.
D: the freezer audit last week showed several one portion things that we are just not using as all 3 of us are in all the time so eating together. So tonight I tested before and after a fish ready meal with lots of new potatoes in. Was from lidl and used to be a "healthy " standby meal for me. Was very suspicious but it turned out alright, only producing a rise from 5.9 to 7.8. The potatoes in it had obviously been cooked, frozen and then reheated. Texture was like tinned ones. 27g carbs in whole thing.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry to inform you theat the smoked cheese does melt when used beneath a relatively wet batter and baked in a silicone muffin tray. Nothing wrong with the taste, but the way I used it doesn't work as 'pie lining'. The circled one is the upside down one with the cheese, I had to scrape the molten (melted?) cheese from the tray.

The rest of the meal is broad beans (canned) with slowly fried onions and bacon :hungry:

127121468_10222295010518496_1575974694549382114_o.jpg
Looks delicious.

Keeping to soft food for now. Mackerel pate was a bit rich and didn't sit happily in my tum. Just put several little pots of it in the small freezer. Hot milk has helped to settle it down a bit.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Just as well that when I rescheduled my delivery to next week (should have been today, but I really don’t need a whole heap of new food just yet) the smoked cheese was no longer available. However, now thinking bacon base, mince with cheese slices in the middle ala @shelley262 (or even on top as a ‘lid’ and a few onions should do the job.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday Bed 7.8 FBG 8.8 - Still higher than normal but coming down gradually. @DJC3 - It depends what tier you are in. There are 5 tiers here but, for some unknown reason, you'd think there were 4 as they are numbered 0 - 4. Don't get the idea 0 means totally normality either - it doesn't. There are still restrictions. It makes it seem there is no way out. We're in Tier 3 but we're about to move to Tier 2 (which we should have been in weeks ago to be honest). Hairdressers are allowed to operate in Tier 3 and below. Tier 4 (which is effectively 5) they can't.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
L. Nothing
D. Salad of prawns & smoked salmon with Marie Rose sauce, lettuce, tomato, mini mozzarella, avocado. 2 squares of Godiva.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Belated happy birthday @maglil55

A very hungry day today. Ended up eating 3 times and could still pack a bit more away!

Late morning ‘brunch’ of the remaining leftover Nando’s wings.
Originally intended as dinner, but sneaking in as late lunch, beef short ribs cooked to perfection in the IP.
Dinner was 2 pork belly slices coated in salt a d chilli oil and air fried.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5am - 1 slice slc bread toasted and buttered and mug of earl grey to set me up for the day

12.30pm - 1 slc roll with 2 bratwurst sausages with a teeny 50% less sugar & salt ketchup another mug of earl grey

5.15pm - chicken tikka (with very little sauce) on bed of cauliflower rice. I thought I had another sf jelly in fridge bit it's gone - I must have already had it so had 2 squares of 90% lindtt dark instead and a few macadamia nuts - enjoying them @zauberflote & @shelley262 :)