How long does the honeymoon phase last?

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m newly diagnosed with T1DM. I think I may still be producing some insulin. Does anyone know how long the honeymoon phase lasts?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in my 40s and mine was at least 2 years - I was on a drug trial where they tested my c-peptide so I could see my insulin production reduce.

I still have odd weeks where my pancreas wakes up and completely screws up all my dosages!!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think its very individual to the person (I have gathered this from various forum posts), I have no idea how long mine was, if I even had one, not convinced my records still exist for back then (and there was certainly not c-peptide test around at the time, nor the HbA1c)

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you still producing c-peptide? I don’t know much about hormones, but I know that if C-peptide is still detected in the blood then a person still has some ability to regulate blood sugar.

Whatever basal dose the nurse tries with me, I still wake up with a FBS of 5.1. My body just likes to wake up at that level regardless of how little basal insulin I take.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't have proper tests but found my insulin needs rose very slowly over the first 8 years after my diagnosis and then plateaued.
As nothing else changed in my life - I didn't put on weight, change my diet, exercise less, have more stress, ... - I assumed my body was producing less and less insulin itself until, eight years after diagnosis, my last Islets of Langerhan stopped their production and retired. Then, my honeymoon was over.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The honeymoon phase can last 8 years or even longer in a few. But one of the signs of being a type 1 instead of a type 2 is needing insulin within 3 years. I think that probably means that most insulin production is really reduced during the first 3 years. But it can vary person to person

" The pancreas makes insulin, but not directly. The beta cells in the pancreas first produce a protein called “proinsulin.” Each proinsulin breaks down to one molecule of insulin and one molecule of Cpeptide. Both are released when blood sugar levels get high"

C-peptide only shows up when you make your own insulin, so it can tell if you are making insulin versus taking injected insulin.

https://selfhacked.com/blog/c-peptide/