Extended bolus omnipod

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New to libre and omnipod so bare with me.
How long would you extend your bolus for cheesecake?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately, we are all different and cheesecakes are different.
So what works for me with a standalone slice of Sara Lee cherry cheesecake with a cup of tea in the afternoon will probably not work with you and your home baked cheesecake after a large evening meal, for example.

It is really down to trial and error. And what other excuse do you need to eat lots of cheesecake :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yea, we all can really vary. Plus the fat in it will delay absorption of any carbs. If you have a label for the carbs, it at least gives you a starting point. If I eat something higher fat I will take a third when I eat it, a third a half hour after and another third 1 hour after. But vegan pizza with vegan cheese? For me I needed extra insulin and I needed some 3 hours after I ate it. And I still am trying to figure the right amount out and the right timing.

There is just no set answer...................

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It didn't go as well as hoped, but I'll keep trying.

7pm 40g pasta carbs, followed by 30g of cheesecake and ice cream carbs. Extended bolus 50% then 50% over 4hrs.

Midnight BS 10.6, so correction of 1u, 2 am BS 10.2 so 1 more unit. BS starting to come down about 3am

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like you will have to try it again sometime.
For me, I find the pasta challenging, especially if I have a creamy/cheesy sauce. For some reason it needs more insulin that just to cover the carbs.
I rarely eat dessert so I have never tried the pasta/cheesecake combo.

Reactions: Marie 2