Oatmeal porridge

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
When I have porridge glucose reading will shoot from 5.2 to 10.7. eggs at breakfast nlucose from 5.2 to 7.3. Both final reading 2 hours later

why this increase with porridge? Is it not supposed to be good as breakfast?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Porridge is a grain - oats, so a high carb food - but some people believe that carbs are good and healthy, even though the opposite seems to be the case, so they repeat it over and over again.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I agree with @Resurgam - if type 2s eat food with a high amount of carbs their blood sugars rise- what constitutes a high amount varies among us and even what type of carbs- some find that the carbs in some types of food are more likely to cause a spike.

What is 'healthy' for a type 2 is not what is generally thought of by the medical profession as healthy.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
When I have porridge glucose reading will shoot from 5.2 to 10.7. eggs at breakfast nlucose from 5.2 to 7.3. Both final reading 2 hours later

Lots of things are supposed to be good for us... Oats being one of them. We can't process carbs well though, so they spike our blood sugars. An apple a day sadly doesn't keep a diabetic's doctor away either. Basically, everything you think you know goes out the window when diagnosed with a metabolic condition. Sorry.

Reactions: lessci

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lots of things are supposed to be good for us... Oats being one of them. We can't process carbs well though, so they spike our blood sugars. An apple a day sadly doesn't keep a diabetic's doctor away either. Basically, everything you think you know goes out the window when diagnosed with a metabolic condition. Sorry.
Am using the freestyle libra sensor and this helps me to debunk all myths. I also remember that our metabolisms are different and we are all at different stages of the condition. Thanks for all the reply.
just one question on the last reply. Is Apple not good for diabetic?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had to give up porridge, and any ordinary cereal, for breakfast. In fact finding something I enjoyed for the first meal of the day was a challenge as my body doesn't like eggs or meat first thing.
I finally worked out a mix of milled flaxseed, chia seeds and a little oatbran - over the first couple of months I increased the amount of flaxseed, added in chopped nuts, and reduced the oats. I make it with water and coconut milk and serve it with cinnamon and double cream.

Reactions: mymuk

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am using the freestyle libra sensor and this helps me to debunk all myths. I also remember that our metabolisms are different and we are all at different stages of the condition. Thanks for all the reply.
A medium sized apple contains 21 grams of carbs. I eat as little carbs as I can possibly manage per day, so usually stay under 10 grams total. So for me, an apple is off the table. Whether it is for you is between you and your meter, because what goes for me, doesn't go for someone else, per sé. I just know I don't respond well to them, so quit them years ago. The Freestyle'd let you know, I'm sure.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hi,

Porridge is a high carb food, eggs are not. You can see the results from your libra readings that clearly show that porridge is not a good option for you. If someone tells you porridge is good, it helps create stable glucose levels you can actually show them what it does to your levels and point out that it's not true.

M

Member496333

Basically, everything you think you know goes out the window when diagnosed with a metabolic condition. Sorry.

Or if you don't want to be.

Dietary guidelines for everyone are about money and nothing else. Always have been and always will be.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And then there’s the milk, too, if you use that for porridge. Milk does horrible things to my BG!

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

In a word - no. In a couple... it depends!
Maybe this could help?
I used MyFitnessPal to list out my previous typical diet - cereal in the morning, what I thought might be an innocuous jacket spud for lunch, and then something more substantial for dinner, a nana in the afternoon with my post lunch cuppa, an apple and peanut butter for an easy dessert in the evening... you get the point!

A typical day would be well over 200g of carbs pre-diagnosis.

So now together with my Libre Freestyle sensor, I LC as much as possible, and if I am adding something into my repertoire of things to eat I always see what the response is on the meter.
So I have decided a carb threshold, I work to stay under that and in the morning, post workout I use MFP to track out what I will eat that day, and will test pre and post prandial to see what the effect was.
If I can tolerate that combo - all well and good. If I spike monstrously and it doesn't come down within that 2 hour window, then I knew that was no longer an option (sob... bye bye honeydew melon and pineapple in the VERY early days of testing)...

Everyone's body and tolerance is different, and it depends where you are on your journey. At the start of mine my BG was astronomically high so I needed to really slam the breaks on to just get my bloods down. I manage with LC, meds, exercise and am (fingers crossed) tracking ok for now - update due before the end of this year.

But keep going with your Libre and if it helps - I allow myself a dessert of a sliced apple and a hefty spoon of peanut butter every other day. But I will also have that on a day where I have a virtually zero carb lunch of say Omelette, ham slices and cream cheese to allow it to fit into my macros. What works for me though might not work for you and others.