Half Unit Insulin Pen or Syringe?

Buchhete

Hi all,

I'm looking for an insulin syringe or a pen (which I can use with insulin from a vial) with a half unit scale.

So far I was able to find a syringe for vets with half unit scale... it would be nice to find something for humans :D

Also found Junior KwikPen which is for humalog only. It may be useful for me for corrections but not for most meals.

Ideally it should work with something like InsulCheck / Timesulin or similliar (is anyone using these?) I think these are useful to avoid "double dosing".

Update
Now found also Novopen Echo which apparently has 0.5u dosing and memory and is reusable. Can it be filled with an insuling from a vial (NovoLog PenFill Cartridges does not sound like this)? It would be ideal.
NOVO NORDISK NOVOPEN ECHO Reusable INSULIN NovoLog PenFill Cartridges DOSE DELIVERY Half-unit increments, up to 30 units at a time TOTAL CAPACITY 300 units DETAILS Pen is red with optional decorative skins. Memory function shows units of last dose and hours since last injection.​

My problem is I need to use it with Actrapid which is available only in vials I think.

Best,

Last edited:

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reverted to disposble one-use plastic syringes, after worsening arthritis in my hands started to make using insulin pens painful, because of their weight.
I use BD Microfine Insulin Syringes size 0.3 ml. They are marked 'Demi' on the box and on each bag inside it to indicate that they measure half units. They are marked out to measure up to 30 units. The computer system used by GPs shows them, but the accompanying description is so abbreviated that it fails to mention that they measure half units. I only discovered them because of an error at the pharmacy.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately, I have never come across half unit insulin pens which are not either prefilled or take cartridges.
A quick Google confirms Actrapid has not been available as cartridges since 2005.
@Buchhete no need to go into any history, I just wondered if it was possible to change your fast acting insulin? This would give you more flexibility around pens.

Buchhete

Novopen echo has a half-unit, time since last dosage display, so you can check.

Thank you, @ert. I'm following Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution as well and despite definite improvement I may be hitting a limit caused by pump infusion sites moods (QuickSet in my case). I may have to change them every 24 hours for more stable absorption. They tend to get moody after 1.5 day for me. Something I rarely noticed on my previous regimen as I used more insulin. Thus thinking about getting back to pen (or syringe if it has to be) and switching from Humalog (which sort of works on the pump in this diet thanks to square boluses) to Actrapid (regular, short acting) and Levemir (long acting). Are you using any of these yourself?

Last edited:

Buchhete

@Buchhete no need to go into any history, I just wondered if it was possible to change your fast acting insulin? This would give you more flexibility around pens.
I'm happy with my fast acting (Humalog) but I think (may be wrong) I need short acting (regular) if I switch from pump to pens (I’m on a very low carb diet). And the only regular on the market seem to be Actrapid. I'm using square boluses on pump which is not possible on pens, obviously.

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Thank you, @ert. I'm following Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution as well and despite definite improvement I may be hitting a limit caused by pump infusion sites moods (QuickSet in my case). I may have to change them every 24 hours for more stable absorption. They tend to get moody after 1.5 day for me. Something I rarely noticed on my previous regimen as I used more insulin. Thus thinking about getting back to pen (or syringe if it has to be) and switching from Humalog (which sort of works on the pump in this diet thanks to square boluses) to Actrapid (regular, short acting) and Levemir (long acting). Are you using any of these yourself?
I'm really happy with Fiasp and a split dose Levemir MDI. Well, as happy as you can be on insulin. I have no experience of the pump. But I do find Dr Bernstein super helpful.

Buchhete

I'm really happy with Fiasp and a split dose Levemir MDI

Wow it is surprising that Fiasp is not too fast on Dr Bernstein diet for you. We are all different! Can you skip meals without BS going too low? Are you taking Levemir only in the morning and before bed?

I imagine I would have to take Fiasp after meals as opposed to before meals.

Well, as happy as you can be on insulin.

Very true :)

I have no experience of the pump. But I do find Dr Bernstein super helpful.

I was on the pen for 7 years then on the pump for 10 years and on Dr Bernstein diet since March.

I see that both Levemir and Fiasp are available in Penfill cartridges (good for NovoPen Echo).

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Wow it is surprising that Fiasp is not too fast on Dr Bernstein diet for you. We are all different! Can you skip meals without BS going too low? Are you taking Levemir only in the morning and before bed?

I imagine I would have to take Fiasp after meals as opposed to before meals.

I like Fiasp because you don't have to wait for it to work which makes the calculations simple and straight forward. I inject 5 minutes before eating, longer for instance 20 to 30 minutes when I've had my insulin vials for two weeks or am at the end of one. Bernstein uses intermediate insulins, but I wouldn't want to change as Fiasp works fine. I split my Levemir dose, but take most of it in the morning and only a couple of units at night. I don't have problems with hypos, as my BS change slowly so I have plenty of time to react. My MM alarms are set at 4.3 and 5.8. I skip breakfast and eat lunch at 3 pm and find my BS stay between 4.5 and 5 without any adjustments. I can even run 10 km or walk for 5 hours in the morning without my BS's dropping or having to eat anything. However, I do (dirty) fast on coffee and cream.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buchhete

Buchhete

I like Fiasp because you don't have to wait for it to work which makes the calculations simple and straight forward. I inject 5 minutes before eating, longer for instance 20 to 30 minutes when I've had my insulin vials for two weeks or am at the end of one. Bernstein uses intermediate insulins, but I wouldn't want to change as Fiasp works fine. I split my Levemir dose, but take most of it in the morning and only a couple of units at night. I don't have problems with hypos, as my BS change slowly so I have plenty of time to react. My MM alarms are set at 4.3 and 5.8. I skip breakfast and eat lunch at 3 pm and find my BS stay between 4.5 and 5 without any adjustments. I can even run 10 km or walk for 5 hours in the morning without my BS's dropping or having to eat anything. However, I do (dirty) fast on coffee and cream.

Great stuff. I'm happy for you :) This isn't a diabetic honeymoon phase, right?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Great stuff. I'm happy for you :) This isn't a diabetic honeymoon phase, right?
My c-peptide is trace, which is below the measurable scale. I'm very insulin sensitive, eat one meal a day, and run a lot and eat low carb which all helps.

Reactions: Buchhete