I’m new- any help welcome

Woody87

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some guidance and help following my Type 2 diagnosis today. I won’t lie I’m bricking it.

So this is my story so far, over the last 18 months I’ve put on a lot of weight, become sluggish, low moods, tired, and a tendency to eat the wrong things. As a whole my sugar intake isn’t that bad I don’t think personally, but I do get caught out with the carbs intake with take aways, pasta etc, so my diet isn’t great.

Had the nurse ring me today following some bloods I had taken a few weeks ago as I originally thought it was a thyroid problem with the weight gain. Turns out my results showed that my Hba1c level shows ‘52’, which I was told is pretty high and therefore have been prescribed Metaformin tablets to start on tomorrow to reduce this score down over the next 3 months, then it will be reviewed.

Can anyone help me with some advice with foods to eat etc. Out of interest also, I drink a lot of the Volvic Touch of Fruit Sugar Free water but have read conflicting threads that this doesn’t help blood sugars due to the sweeteners, is this true?

I am a total novice to this and am still coming to terms with the effect this will have on my change of lifestyle going forward, hopefully for the better but I’m still quite nervous and anxious.

Any advice is greatly received.

Hope your all doing well and that I can learn from others experience.

:)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. First, no need to panic. I was 122 at dx, now that's high! A number of 48 puts you in the diabetic range, below 42 puts you in normal range.

Have a look at the link in my signature, read around the forum and ask questions. You're going to be fine.

Reactions: VashtiB and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Well the good news is that 52 is at the low end of diabetes so it's very likely that reducing the carbs in your diet will normalise your levels pretty fast, with no long term need for medication (and as weight gain is a side effect of T2 it's likely that this will reduce your weight as well).

Read the link given by @xfieldok, it's a pretty good explanation and guide.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed at 53 and have never been offered meds of any sort. It was early this year as covid hit and GP did nothing. I did research, found this site, went low carb and have lowered my levels and lost 2 and a half stone.
I'm hoping when they test again that I will be back to normal levels.
Going low carb and eating natural real food can avoid artifical chemical medication, unless you particularly want to go that route. A lot of the standard NHS advice worsens T2

Last edited:
Reactions: VashtiB

Hotpepper20000

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some guidance and help following my Type 2 diagnosis today. I won’t lie I’m bricking it.

So this is my story so far, over the last 18 months I’ve put on a lot of weight, become sluggish, low moods, tired, and a tendency to eat the wrong things. As a whole my sugar intake isn’t that bad I don’t think personally, but I do get caught out with the carbs intake with take aways, pasta etc, so my diet isn’t great.

Had the nurse ring me today following some bloods I had taken a few weeks ago as I originally thought it was a thyroid problem with the weight gain. Turns out my results showed that my Hba1c level shows ‘52’, which I was told is pretty high and therefore have been prescribed Metaformin tablets to start on tomorrow to reduce this score down over the next 3 months, then it will be reviewed.

Can anyone help me with some advice with foods to eat etc. Out of interest also, I drink a lot of the Volvic Touch of Fruit Sugar Free water but have read conflicting threads that this doesn’t help blood sugars due to the sweeteners, is this true?

I am a total novice to this and am still coming to terms with the effect this will have on my change of lifestyle going forward, hopefully for the better but I’m still quite nervous and anxious.

Hope your all doing well and that I can learn from others experience.

:)
So to be clear, even though the media will tell you gained weight and are tired because you are lazy and ate your way to diabetes, that is not true.
You had insulin resistance way before having high blood sugar and this made you tired and gain weight.
For me I cut out all grains, ate full fat food, meat and above ground vegetables and have had a A1C below 40 for three years. I also lost 60 pounds in 15 months.
lots of good information here and people to answer questions.

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Get a meter so you can test your meals, cut all foods that make you spike. Most likely you will be cutting carbs.

Eat clean whole foods, eggs, fish, meat, veggies, avocados. Eliminate all foods that come in a box or plastic wrapper.

exercise, especially some resistance training. As you lose weight, you will most likely lose some muscle. You want to avoid getting into a feedback loop where your metabolism slows.

Sleep well, work on reducing stress. Stress is bad news for lot’s of reasons , especially blood glucose levels.

get in tune with your body, pay attention to yourself and soon you will be a Jedi master

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The downside is that you will most likely need to renew your wardrobe regularly for a while.
I swap my clothes over twice a year and each year since diagnosis I have had to renew or remake quite a few of them.
Avoid high carb foods and don't worry about protein and fat, as it is the carbs you can't cope with.