Advice please!

Newly diagnosed

Hi all, hope everyone’s well? just wondered how others handle negative comments re being diabetic?
I don’t really feel like family and friends really understand the condition( type 2) I get lots of “Surely you can eat carbs again now” or “ my nans diabetic and she eats what she likes!” I’m sure it’s meant well, but I’ve had to explain myself three times today because I ate a salad!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't explain. Just say, this is what I want to eat and enjoy your salad.

Newly diagnosed

I do! I just carry on regardless! Sometimes I think oh here we go again!
I know how I’m doing things is working for me, I’ve lost 3 and a half stone, and Im feeling good!
I’ve got my first big blood test coming up in December so will be interested to see if I’ve been able to make a difference to my health! X

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I’m sure it’s meant well, but I’ve had to explain myself three times today because I ate a salad!

Funnily enough, I get less flack than a T2 does for going low carb, and I'm T1 and could theoretically inject for all the carbs I want. Maybe you should just say you're allergic to carbs and not mention T2 at all??? Or you can go the education route and say that T2 is a progressive disease unless you low carb.

Newly diagnosed

Funnily enough, I get less flack than a T2 does for going low carb, and I'm T1 and could theoretically inject for all the carbs I want. Maybe you should just say you're allergic to carbs and not mention T2 at all??? Or you can go the education route and say that T2 is a progressive disease unless you low carb.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
“ my nans diabetic and she eats what she likes!”
When you feel particularly cross you could ask them "and how is your nan's hba1c" in return.

Being judged for what you eat (too little carbs, too many carbs, too much fat, too little, too much meat or not enough) is always hurtful.

If it happens often and by people close to you, you could make a print out of this and simply hand it to them. Saves you from needing to defend yourself until they are at least a little informed. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Reactions: EllieM

Newly diagnosed

Thank you all for your advice and kind words! 4.6 this morning! I know what I’m doing is working for me so onwards and upwards!
Have a great day everyone!

Reactions: Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, hope everyone’s well? just wondered how others handle negative comments re being diabetic?
I don’t really feel like family and friends really understand the condition( type 2) I get lots of “Surely you can eat carbs again now” or “ my nans diabetic and she eats what she likes!” I’m sure it’s meant well, but I’ve had to explain myself three times today because I ate a salad!
I just throw in that I prefer my kidneys functioning, and my eyes not blind. When someone compares me to another diabetic, I ask them how well they're doing complication-wise. Usually, not too good. And they're often considerably older than I am, so... At 41, I have a few more decades to spend i this body, so I'll take care of it as long as I have to.

With my family it's the same conversation every Christmas or Easter (...well, not this year, but you get the idea). My uncle takes the mickey, we laugh about my diet together, and I stick with it anyway. My aunt, while she doesn't comment, does get in touch with me a few weeks beforehand if she's the one hosting, to ask what I can eat. Mom doesn't have to ask any more, she knows. :)

Reactions: Antje77

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I have been lucky - even out on the road in media centres that offer nothing for diabetics and having had to make do with cup soups on occasion - most people have been curious although one very odd Croatian photographer one year out in Australia had a go at me for always having a cup soup and told me to go get some chips. I just ignored her. Spotify and noise cancelling headphones are wonderful inventions!

Most of my friends are more fascinated with my scanning to be honest (I use a Libre sensor) and to be honest I understand what spikes me a lot better now and so know what I can allow myself to get away with if out and about.

Reactions: hankjam

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Hi Newly Diagnosed !!!!!!!

I have been dealing with this issue for over two years and discovered I will eat a salad or whatever if anyone ask why I eat like a rabbit. I just say that I eating what I want to eat. I do not go into that I am a type 2 diabetic most people do not understand and I do not have the time to explain things to them. If they are generally concerned I might explain things to them.

You do what you have to do to take care of yourself and if other people have problems with what you eat It is there problem not yours. You have to live what you eat not them.

Keep at it ............

Dave

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also found it a bit of an issue- my work is going to a dumpling house-I'm sure there will be something you can eat- well unfortunately no- I have found that with the particular stresses at the moment I'm more intolerant of carbs- and to be honest have been carb creeping to probably 20 grams on some days and it hasn't gone well. So I will be 'sick' and unable to go. I don't like it as a solution but apart from having nothing I can eat I am not in the right mental space to justify my choices at the moment.