alternatives to lantus or levemir?

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, just wondering what alternatives there were to the above.

lantus seems to drop me too quickly and randomly and levemir seems to leave lumps, I've been trying it for a month and a half now and still have them, I'm running out of injection sites!

I'm thinking that I'll end up on insulatard but just wondered what else there was before going to the nurse.

thanks for your help

Matt

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks, think your choices are just those 3 but just wondered if anyone else knew any different.

AMBrennan

No, I think that that's it. Novo Nordisk is developing a new ultra-long acting analogue, and I suppose you could consider mixes an alternative to Lantus or Glargine but that's just NPH again.

Wikipedia has quite a bit of interesting information as well.

I stand corrected, and feel like hitting something with my iPad

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Matt,

You can also use animal insulin (although people assume it's a step backwards - probably wrongly).

This is a link to the IDDT which has some useful information. They are not fans of analogues or indeed human insulin.

http://www.iddt.org/about/gm-vs-animal-insulin/

Regards

Dillinger

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Humalin I is a medium acting insulin - some people actually find the fact that it is cloudy helpful, as it looks different to clear short acting insulins, plus taking twice a day gives more chance to adjust dose, which is useful if you have a very variable lifestyle, shifts etc.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Matt,

Again another old insulin to try is Insulatard, I was using this prior to switching to insulin analogues and it was fine but didn't give me the control that analogues have.