Hypos

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. Out of curiosity, what causes some hypos to feel worse than others? How comes sometimes I’m at a 2.6 and feel fine but yet other times I’m at 3.9 and feel horrific. Thanks!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I found that some of it is how fast it hits. A slow onset hypo isn't too bad, I guess the body has time to adjust. A rapid, 'bg falling off the cliff hypo' usually feels worse, and feels rough for longer.

I'm sure there are other factors too.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I find basal hypos sort of sneak up & can almost feel euphoric? Unless i've woken from one.
When bolus insulin is on board, that's more "classic." Not unlike the the porcine insulins of old "stop the world i want off the ride."

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's because when your body's glucose levels have dropped low, it goes into panic mode churning out other hormones and preparing the body to fight for survival. This probably occurs in a haphazard way and whilst the body is doing the right things and probably in the right order, the exact timing of each response is probably different every time.

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've thought about this too

It's probably due to receptors in the brain. Sometimes they act swiftly and raise the alarm. Other times they think everything is ok and the reaction is delayed

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The faster an bigger the drop in blood glucose, the stronger the stress response. More adrenalin is secreted, which causes increased anxiety. Slow typos don't do this. It is even possible to sleep through them.

Reactions: ert

MarkHaZ123

As said it is usually the speed

If I go on the turbo trainer for an hour or so I burn that much sweat that my bloods rapidly drop if I don't eat enough throughout.
The other day I did alpe du zwift so I was really working hard. All through my ride I checked bloods and they were fine. I got off and I went in the shower. In that time I dropped from 6 to about 2.5 and going down. I felt fine, not a problem at all.

When my bloods go down slowly. At work or just doing something like shopping they drop slowly, I can start shaking at about 3.5 and below