Ice Cream - Treat the hypo or wait for the spike?

Stefp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So have not been great tonight- on a weekend away with my husband and ate my perfect low carb diet until just now! Had a baby cup of triple chocolate ice cream on a walk around the city we are staying in. My blood sugar is currently 4.7 and dropping according to libre (which is pretty accurate for me) When I gets below 3 do I treat the hypo or wait for the ice cream spike? Can’t remember how long it takes for ice cream to hit as it’s been so long since I ate any. Any suggestions?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So have not been great tonight- on a weekend away with my husband and ate my perfect low carb diet until just now! Had a baby cup of triple chocolate ice cream on a walk around the city we are staying in. My blood sugar is currently 4.7 and dropping according to libre (which is pretty accurate for me) When I gets below 3 do I treat the hypo or wait for the ice cream spike? Can’t remember how long it takes for ice cream to hit as it’s been so long since I ate any. Any suggestions?

Hi there, I wouldn't wait until it gets below 3 even if you have had ice cream. That's taking an unnecessary risk. Don't forget, the libre is 15 minutes behind your actual glucose level so when your libre shows 4.7 and dropping, it could mean you are ALREADY hypo, please do a finger prick test. If it's now steady in the 4s, then I would still eat say 15/20 carbs especially if I knew I was going to be active right then by walking around. The ice cream will be fat as well as sugar so that could take a while to kick in. To sum up, (unless your finger prick test shows definitely not hypo & rising), eat a carby snack which you will no doubt be able to walk off anyway. x

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Treat the hypo, you must treat hypos asap.
Then deal with any spike from the ice cream later

Stefp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys I am monitoring - knew I would pay for the temporary indulgence but every now and then I just lose my self control. Seems to be doing ok - currently at 5 and steady but I will keep an eye out.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys I am monitoring - knew I would pay for the temporary indulgence but every now and then I just lose my self control. Seems to be doing ok - currently at 5 and steady but I will keep an eye out.

You've done nothing wrong stefp, you're being very hard on yourself, please enjoy your day. x

Reactions: UK T1