Worried about complications long term

Ryann1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had diabetes for around 12 years now and have recently changed my diet to gluten-free and cut out most carbs, I am trying to eat more keto and get more fruit and veg in but my blood sugars seem to still sit around 7-8mmols throughout the day which is frustrating I can never get them to stay between 5-6mmols which is the recommended level by clinicians. Does anyone else have similar problems and was there any way you found to get lower number readings? I am currently taking Toujeo at night and on Humalog in the day.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had diabetes for around 12 years now and have recently changed my diet to gluten-free and cut out most carbs, I am trying to eat more keto and get more fruit and veg in but my blood sugars seem to still sit around 7-8mmols throughout the day which is frustrating I can never get them to stay between 5-6mmols which is the recommended level by clinicians. Does anyone else have similar problems and was there any way you found to get lower number readings? I am currently taking Toujeo at night and on Humalog in the day.

Hi there - You say your changes were recent. When did you make those changes to your way of eating? It can sometimes take a little while for numbers to come down.

May I ask why you have gone gluten-free? Have you been diagnosed as Coeliac, or a non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have not heard any clinician say that a type 1s levels should be between 5 and 6. Having said that I like mine to sit at those levels. You say you are trying to eat more keto but for a keto diet you're either hitting a keto level or you're not, (the fruit won't be helping a keto approach). Can you tell us a typical days food?, and a typical days readings? x