Fasting & Improvement of Blood Sugar levels

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I have read that a regimen of fasting can help to improve BG levels, or even result in someone with Diabetes (I am type 1) finding that they no longer need insulin at all.....
I already go without breakfast, eating lunch usually around 12 midday, and this deals brilliantly with the Dawn Phenomenon! Although I might sometimes feel a bit hungry in the morning, I seem to get over this, and I certainly benefit from not having to worry about preparing my salady breakfast meal as well....!
Does anyone know where I might find some guidance to do this fasting with this end in mind?
I feel too vulnerable to embark on this without some guidance or support...., but I am keen to look into what is possible?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I was diagnosed as type 1 and told I had to start insulin straight away, but managed to stay off insulin for the first two years with exercise and intermittent fasting, eating low carb and only one meal a day. I had to monitor my ketones and got a c-peptide every 3 months to check for deterioration Eventually, my blood sugars were above 13 mmol/l and nothing would bring them down, so I accepted I needed insulin. If I started using low doses of insulin, I may have been able to extend my honeymoon period by preserving beta cell function, so I'm not convinced I did the right thing. I was scared of insulin, the hypos, the variability, I guess. On reflection, once you have to start taking insulin, it's not the end of the world.

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know where I might find some guidance to do this fasting with this end in mind?
I feel too vulnerable to embark on this without some guidance or support...., but I am keen to look into what is possible?
Unfortunately I do think there is any official guidance on the subject and you really do have to do your own research. The main reason I think this is the case is the lack of scientific studies into fasting and low carb eating. In fact the NICE guidelines excluded all studies looking at different carbohydrate content diets from being considered before making its recommendations.

This is one study from the US.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180507074218.htm

I have recently started a low carb regime with 2 meals a day. One around 11am and the other around 5-6pm. This is not recommended by NICE nor my NHS trust who on a recent Daphne/Bertie course insisted on 225g of carbs a day and inject accordingly.

I have reduced by Basal Insulin by half and Bolus by at least that with BG's steady around 6-8.

However I am not a zealot and have bouts of enjoying White wine and the odd bowl of pasta which means the insulin intake also goes up and my BG levels fluctuate.

I found this video quite good.....