High temperature can not get sugars down

Miawhitlock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve had a high temperature for the past three days negative COVID test I have literally not left my bed. As expected my sugars have been super high between 16-25 I have followed my sick day rules by changing my cannula and insulin using my pen I’ve changed my basal rate to 100% more than normal and my sugars are still not coming down!! Ketones are low between 0.4-0.6, is there anything anyone can recommend I try? Thank you

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had a high temperature for the past three days negative COVID test I have literally not left my bed. As expected my sugars have been super high between 16-25 I have followed my sick day rules by changing my cannula and insulin using my pen I’ve changed my basal rate to 100% more than normal and my sugars are still not coming down!! Ketones are low between 0.4-0.6, is there anything anyone can recommend I try? Thank you

I'm not T1, so can't say much about insulin. I'll tag in @Jaylee and @MeiChanski as they are both longstanding T1s, and appear to be online at the moment. They may be able to help with some suggestions.

In the meantime, keep testing and drink plenty fluids.

I hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: Miawhitlock

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I'm not a pumper. However. You have upped your basal to suit the "sick day" circumstances.
Personally, if my fasting BGs were drifting wayward with an upward arrow, I would give an appropriate correction dose of Novorapid.

Hope you get well soon.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The only thing you can do is more insulin and/or a bit of physical activity

Some nights like last night I was high 22is I took 15 units fiasp and it barely touch my levels... the high bg actually make me hot and sweaty... I've just manages now to get back down to 6.4

The main thing is keeping an eye on those keytones