How do you know if you have Type 1 or LADA?

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the symptoms can be the same etc

Are there clues through blood tests etc and if so , which ones

Thank you

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting insulin or c-peptide I guess as classic LADA means you aren't producing "enough" insulin whereas in T1 you aren't producing any or tiny amounts.

Reactions: Grumpy Porridge

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Grumpy Porridge Are you asking how you know whether you have T1 as opposed to having LADA?
My understanding is LADA is slow onset Type 1 and there is little point distinguishing between the two as both are autoimmune where the pancreas stops developing insulin.
LADA May have a longer honeymoon.

Why are you asking?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Both end up at the same point eventually i.e. needing insulin. The C-Peptide test can show where you are on the declining beta cell spectrum.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The amount of insulin required is a good indication. With LADA there is still a lot of insulin production, at least in the early stages. So the required insulin doses tend to be small. Having said that, it doesn't really matter. Both Type 1 and LADA require the same treatment.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I'm now classed t1 as my latest cpetide test shows extremely low insulin but still producing the smallest amount.

However I was first diagnosed 10 years ago as t2 and even 3 years ago if I stopped taking insulin there was still enough in my body to keep me going no keystones just gradually raising bg.

So im guessing the whole time I was LADA.. if thats what you are then its not a bad think as for about 8 years things were relatively easy to control for me.. not so much mow though.

The end result is the same though

Reactions: DJC3

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Consultant barely uses the term LADA, he say's it's all type 1 but a slower onset and usually when you're out of childhood. The general consensus though is as said above, with LADA you can sometimes go a while without insulin. The C Peptide test tells you how much of your own insulin (if any) you are still producing so that's probably the best indication of whether it's a slower onset of type 1 or not.

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Grumpy Porridge Are you asking how you know whether you have T1 as opposed to having LADA?
My understanding is LADA is slow onset Type 1 and there is little point distinguishing between the two as both are autoimmune where the pancreas stops developing insulin.

Why are you asking?

Hi ,

Why are you asking?
Hi

I really don’t want LADA as I heard somewhere obesity can trigger / or influence it and I would feel guilty etc as I was both overweight and sedentary.

I just want to find out if I have type 1 or LADA

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ,

Hi

I really don’t want LADA as I heard somewhere obesity can trigger / or influence it and I would feel guilty etc as I was both overweight and sedentary.

I have never read any relationship between LADA and obesity and, as LADA is adult onset type 1, I do not believe there is a way to find out which you have.

We are all different but, if it was me, I would want to focus on the future, not the past.
Feeling guilty, whether relevant or not, is not going to help to get your blood sugars under control.

Some people think I am weird (for many reasons) but I see my diagnosis as a positive thing. It explained why I was feeling rubbish and gave me the tools to make me feel better.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ,

Hi

Where did you hear this? I never have. Obesity is generally associated with (note I do not say the cause of) type 2. LADA is a slow onset form of type 1.

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Lada having higher hba1c is probable that they have had 30 years of eating what they like and its difficult to change that.

An 11 year old is going to have parent controlling what they eat so probably have lower hba1c and they have had less years to get in the mindset of I eat what I want

Last edited: